Information on new Type R to U.S. market?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
natedogg2669
New ITRCA Member

Information on new Type R to U.S. market?

Post by natedogg2669 »

Has anyone heard any real information about Acura/Honda bringing another Type R to the U.S. market either as a CTR or RSX Type R? I sold my 00' PY Type R in April, and now I'm wishing I still had it. I'm considering waiting for a new Type R to be released, but I may buy a used Type R. Before I can make a decision, I want to know more about another Type R coming to the U.S. I've heard speculation on an RSX Type R for late 2003, but no one has confirmed this yet. Anyone know anything?
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

No news yet, and from what I have read and heard they will not be coming- maybe the CTR,,, if...
swed
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

Integra (RSX) Type-R
Weight: Approx. 2,600 lbs.
Color: Championship White
Seats: Black Recaro with Red Stitching (not available for US)
Steering Wheel: Momo w/ Airbag (not available for US)
Polished Aluminum Shift knob and pedals
217 HP 152 lb-ft of tq. i-VTEC
Wheels (rolling stock): 17 x 7.5 with 225/45-R17
(coming to USA...possibly next July)

SOURCE: HyperREV
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Kramar
New ITRCA Member

Post by Kramar »

Like bbasso said, no real news out yet...just a bunch of "rumors" so far.

I personally think we'll see something in the last fiscal quarter of 2003. How watered down it'll be compared to the JDM version is anyone's guess.
natedogg2669
New ITRCA Member

Post by natedogg2669 »

I've read that we may get one in 2003, but there is no telling. I've heard that we may get the RSX Type R around mid or late year. But I've also heard that they are considering bringing the CTR over as part of Honda's special 30th celebration. So who knows what is really going to happen. If another Type R doesn't make it this way, then I'll just buy another one. I've always wanted one in Championship White, so I was hoping they'd bring a new one over in that color. Otherwise, I'll look into finding a used one. Man, I really should have kept my 00' PY Type R! Someone should kick me in the nuts!
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Car & Driver last spring said that we'll probably be getting the Civic Type R in '04 but Honda has yet to release definitive plans on a USDM RSX Type R. BTW, new Integra R weighs more than 2600 lbs. :P
Joker
New ITRCA Member

Post by Joker »

I also heard that the RSX-R will be here in the Fall of 2003 as a 2004. With an MSRP of $28K
Greg - who remains optimistic :)
natedogg2669
New ITRCA Member

Post by natedogg2669 »

Has anyone checked out Honda's site lately and seen the press release on the new concept cars they've created and showed at SEMA? They have a new 2003 Honda Civic Si with 230 hp using a GReddy turbo and other parts. Also, there is a Mugen Civic Si that is using JDM CTR parts and pushing 240 hp. Now, if Honda would actually release one of those goodies for us, it would be sweet.

I've been checking out all the new sport compacts, and so far, Honda is lagging behind. Mazda has its new Mazdaspeed Protege (with future mazdaspeed Miatas and RX-8's in the works), Nissan has the SE-R Spec V (and of course the 350z), Dodge has the new SRT-4 (which is damn impressive for the money, even if it is an American car and a Neon), Ford has its Focus (which sucks anyway) and others are beginning to creep into the market. But Honda is beginning to lag behind. I am an avid Honda believer/owner, but they really need to do something to challenge the market and bring something that is affordable and sporty. Thus, a new Type R would be nice. But even some of these other concepts would be cool.

The RSX Type S is a nice car, but it's no Type R. Nor does it perform as well as one. And with a price tag equal to that of a WRX, I don't see how Honda can compete with all the new sport compacts that are selling for $22K and less while still having a great ride, good power, looks, reliability and handling. So we will have to wait and see. If Honda/Acura doesn't get on the ball, I may just purchase another Type R (97/98 or 00/01) and keep it for good this time! Otherwise, I may venture toward some of the other cool new cars on the market. That Mazdaspeed Protege and SRT-4 seem pretty sweet....
00' PY ITR - SOLD! (I miss her!)
02' WRX - SOLD!
01' S2K - SOLD!
03' S2K - New Formula Red