CAI/SRI Torque Loss??

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
TypeR886
New ITRCA Member

CAI/SRI Torque Loss??

Post by TypeR886 »

I am planning on buying intake for the R but I dont think I am going to go with the CAI. But people here who has/had short Ram or knows about them could you please help me.

I want to know if there is any loss in feeling of torque. I came from a GSR before the R and I think the torque is the largest difference in the 2 in my opinion, besides the handling. But anyway should I purchase the AEM SRI? I know I would not have as much gain as a CAI for highend HP but my largest want for the intake would be the sound and the looks, then comes the power. I want more power but the main thing is I dont want to lose NE power or torque. Thanks!
2001 Nighthawk Back Perl Integra Type-R #886
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

The short ram is not as loud as the long ram. I know this from racing a GS-R equipped with a short ram (he was basically stock other than that, and I am bone stock, other than a long ram). his VTEC hit first (yes, he launched better), but then mine hit. This was the first Type-R to show up at the street races in Long Beach for a while (and equipped with a AEM CAI). When the race was over (and I was in front), everyone just told me, "damn, your car just screams VTEC." If it's the sound you want, get the CAI.
As far as looks, I'm guessing you mean under the hood, cox you won't see it outside of your car (haha) :lol: . But yeah, the CAI does look more intimidating and aggressive than the short ram.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

my personal op[inion is short rams are for nothing but sound. YOu won;t make more power or torque.

Get a cold air or stay stock. The stock box on a Type-R out dyno's a lot of different scenarios except the cold air setups.

Icebox and AEM are my 2 favorites. Icebox is much quieter.
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

You cannot compare the GSR with the ITR intake sound wise. Totally different.
TypeR886
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR886 »

Somebody sell me AEM CAI!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

To put any worries to rest with the AEM CAI I have had mine in for 1.5 years and not one problem. As for SRI vs CAI ya might as well go with the CAI, it will give more HP and also alot louder then SRI. If your looking for a bling look also the AEM CAI is nice to the eyes of on lookers (I bought mine in silver) But if your looking for less chance of overall problems stay stock or try the Icebox. One thing I noticed about the Icebox vs AEM CAI is that the AEMCAI is alittle bit lighter...

My choice is to get the AEM CAI.
and don't pay more then 220 shipped (anything more, you did not shop well)
swed
TypeR886
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR886 »

Thanks alot man, I hooked up with somebody on this board who is selling me a RED aem CAI... I cant wait to hear it. I had CAI on my GS-R and it sounded great, cant imagine the sound of the R
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Enjoy.
swed
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

TypeR886 wrote:... I cant wait to hear it.
The ITR with an AEM CAI just SCREAMS VTEC! You'll love it. However, there's also a whistling sound when pressing lightly on your gas at low speeds in mid to low RPM (it sounds like something other than an intake).
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
TypeR886
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR886 »

Yes I remember that with the GS-R, I love it. It either whisles or growls! Sounds great. I only had two concerns that was water, (we all know that B18C5's are pretty har engines to come by) and loss of torque. I didnt want to loose that little kick at low rpms
ALLMOTORB18c5
New ITRCA Member

Post by ALLMOTORB18c5 »

that noise u hear is your throttle body trying to suck the air in or somthing
i replaced my throttle with a bigger one(spoon 70mm) now that whistle is gone. and the r vtec will always be louder then a gsr, i think type r vtec screams the loudest unless u put itr cams in a gsr our came is way bigger
ALLMOTORB18c5
New ITRCA Member

Post by ALLMOTORB18c5 »

that noise u hear is your throttle body trying to suck the air in or somthing
i replaced my throttle with a bigger one(spoon 70mm) now that whistle is gone. and the r vtec will always be louder then a gsr, i think type r vtec screams the loudest unless u put itr cams in a gsr our cam is way bigger.
and a short ram intake dont do shit, mostly just noise