New Type-R owner !!! Need judgements on mods

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
SuckMyTeg
New ITRCA Member

New Type-R owner !!! Need judgements on mods

Post by SuckMyTeg »

Hi my fellow typeR brothers!!!
recently bought a stock black 2001 Type-R.
I was lookin into gettin minor upgrades nothing extreme but something thatll give me lil gain.

Comptech Icebox air intake
Comptech ss header
Comptech catback exhaust
Toda adjustable cam
ACT xtreme clutch kit
Tein Suspension
Brembo Brakes

would need to get fuel injector and fuel pump - any recommended manufacturers?

i will get hondata s200 sometime in the future

im not going to turbo/super charge my car.

Need opinions on my plans!

p.s If you guys are wondering how i have the money to purchase everything ive listened well; its because i won a lawsuit over the fucker who totalled my civic SI and made me go through 9months of physical therapy. THANKS BUD!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

I'd look into a different exhaust setup, The comptech is ok, but there is better for similar money. example: Fujitsubo RM-01A or Buddy Club.

Now for the brakes, Stock calipers are great! Upgrade the pads, lines and fluid and you should not have any issues with lack of stopping power. For braking needs try cobaltfriction.com- Great people and great products.

Comptech Icebox air intake: great product- nothing bad to say.

ACT extreme clutch kit, I have the ACT XT-SS and it's a tough clutch and is a little tough to modulate but has held up against everything I have thrown at it.

Tein Suspension, Very nice... But I say and most people will say: track your car first and then see how you like it. It's surprisingly good.

hondata s200, again can't say anything bad, But besure your local tuner has worked it before so you can benifit the most from it. Talk to your tuner and ask what he prefers to use.

fuel injector and fuel pump, I don't think your going to need to upgrade with the small stuff you plan on adding.

Toda adjustable cam gears, are great. I use them- no problems.

enjoy your new car :)
swed
SuckMyTeg
New ITRCA Member

Post by SuckMyTeg »

Youre the man Rob!

Yea ive looked into BuddySpec3 and Fujitsubo PGs but its just sooo loud (which isnt bad) but for a daily driver it tends to get annoying. The intake+header+exhaust sounds like a freakin rocket

and supposely the Fujitsubo PGs give more gain than the Spec3 but i couldnt find dyno results on either exhausts.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

This is why I said RM-01A, it's way tooo quiet for me, but perfect db for street use.

I use the BCIII for everyday use and sometimes, very rare feel the need to install the silencer. I can tell when the cops around here have a stick up their ass, and I don't need a ticket for something I can avoid.

as for gains, most off the shelf exhausts that are sub 2.5inch are about the same, it comes down to the Header for maximizing gains.
swed
SuckMyTeg
New ITRCA Member

Post by SuckMyTeg »

I know race headers give the most gain but they leave a nasty smell and i fear emission test.

So which brand of street legal headers should i look into? not ceramic headers only SS

And also i was wondering if the ARC intake was better than the icebox setup

sorry Rob i know im a pain in the ass but thanks for tolerating.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Header doesn't change the smell of the exhaust, Changing the cat converter will/does.

As for street legal header.. Not many out there worth installing over the stock exhaust manifold. If your looking to avoid the cops spying then I say go for the oem jdm 4-1 header and stock heat sheilds. Not many people will know that you have changed it. I did and my engine bay looks completely normal. I'll try to dig up comparison pic. With the 4-1 you will have to use a aftermarket cat, and there are some good and some bad ones out there. I would contact SMSP and let him make you one to fit what ever exhaust you decide on.

And the ARC... I have yet to see the need for that. If you want the best then you need a deep pocket- MUGEN. yes you can keep A/C with it.
swed
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

bbasso wrote: I'll try to dig up comparison pic.
I just made this for you...

swed
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

Speakin about the clutch i run a clutchmasters stage 3 and had it installed before my car was turbocharged and it had a nice feel wasn't very rough or anything no jerking it's perfect
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
Blownlsv95
New ITRCA Member

Post by Blownlsv95 »

id suggest the act street disc with an xtreme pressure plate and a spoon flywheel- thats my set up and i love it. I like the toda ss header, fitment is nice and power gains are good also. exhaust i would go with an apexi ws, best exhaust for the $ in my mind. But if i could afford anything better i would allways go with that. The ice box is a very good product, but i like the mugen carbon fiber air box, it kicks ass. Im not a fan of the ARC intake box because of the filter that is on the top will suck at nothing due to no air flow and heat soak. But power is power, no matter who you go with and the money you spend.. in my mind.... my NOOB imput
Ls/Vtec.... yeahhh
white rocket
ITRCA Member

Post by white rocket »

Icebox is a nice piece. Good choice.

I think Rob has covered the H/E subject quite well.

I run Teins and I feel they are too bouncy. The dampers aren't enough for the springs. Others run Tein and are happy so it's an opinion. Your cars' usage will dictate what suspension is best suited. Don't rush into this one.

Stock clutch is fine IMO. Maybe a lightweight FW but it's a lot of labour without doing the clutch at the same time.

Rob hit the nail on the head about brakes. Remember, they are tire limited.

With a good I/H/E set-up and standalone ECU or piggyback system can improve your a/f ratio and add power. Talk to a tuner near you that you feel comfortable with see what he recommend. The system is only as good as it's tune.

Toda cam gear = :D

No need for injectors or a fuel pump at this point.

Good luck
TYPEoui
New ITRCA Member

Post by TYPEoui »

i'm also a new typeR owner...its the 2000 model...and i was wondering what bolt ons will give me horsepower that will not break my wallet
TYPEoui
New ITRCA Member

Post by TYPEoui »

i removed the cover of my air filter and i was wonderin it doing this is hurting the car or helping it
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

You are definitely loosing hp when removing the lid of stock airbox.

As far as mods, you can search here and the ITR forum on h-t, there is a TON of info out there. It all depends on your wallet and goals for the car.

Basically though:

Intake - AEM/Comptech or (ideally) Mugen
Header - JDM OEM 4-1 for bang/buck, SMSP/Hytech if you got $$
Exhaust - Whatever your pref for sound is

Tuning - Hondata/APEXi PowerFC, Uberdata. Chrome
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
frozenb
New ITRCA Member

Post by frozenb »

i can't imagine the fuji rm01a makes more power than the BC specIII, the j-spec spec III has 2.5" pipping , more straight through and the fuji only had 60mm pipping.

i m in the market of choosing exhaust too, i can't affort great header like hytech/smsp/rmp now, i m looking into vibrant jspec 4-2-1, T1R 4-2-1, jdm 98spec, or even megan racing. as for exhaust, BC specIII, T1R catback, T1R b-pipe+spoon N1
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

frozenb wrote:the j-spec spec III has 2.5" pipping
1. There is no "j-spec" Spec III. Buddy Club makes one type of Spec III.

2. The piping on the Spec III is 60.5mm, not 2.5".

Please take the time to make sure you know what you're talking about before posting next time.
frozenb
New ITRCA Member

Post by frozenb »

oo, i just help my friend and it bolt up to his 2.5 " test pipe, i thought it had 2.5" a part and merge back to 60.5mm after the resonator
anyway, i still love the specIII,

the spec III are made in Japan and the Pro spec is not, and lot's of people said it's a specIII pro, which they are totally different things. i said jspec just wanna make sure won't confuse people
silver
New ITRCA Member

Post by silver »

frozenb wrote:oo, i just help my friend and it bolt up to his 2.5 " test pipe, i thought it had 2.5" a part and merge back to 60.5mm after the resonator
anyway, i still love the specIII,

the spec III are made in Japan and the Pro spec is not, and lot's of people said it's a specIII pro, which they are totally different things. i said jspec just wanna make sure won't confuse people
you won't find very many parts in japan in standard units of measurement, they use the metric system there. 60mm is the general diameter, as is the size of the collector. we just tend to round up here when referring to them.