camber kits, recommendation? ball joint or control arm...?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
hmfl
New ITRCA Member

Post by hmfl »

Anyone have a recommendation on what kind of camber kit to get that would maximize handling performance and/or have a long life?
Does it make a difference? Why?
My camber is out -1.8 and -2.

Thanks!
Addicted2Racing
New ITRCA Member

Post by Addicted2Racing »

I believe it depends on the price you want to pay. I have a set of ball joints made by Sprint Suspensions part number 1001k for the ITR. Front is ball joints adjustable up to 3 degrees and the rears are just washers 2 degrees. $150 shipped, new. Let me know.
Asian G
ITRCA Member

Re: camber kits, recommendation? ball joint or control arm..

Post by Asian G »

hmfl wrote:Anyone have a recommendation on what kind of camber kit to get that would maximize handling performance and/or have a long life?

Thanks!
I used the Omni Front Camber kit on my R...its the upper Control Arm w/adjustable Ball Joint set up. Very simple to adjust. The Omni's will fix your neg. camber easily...but remember you'll still need to get an alignment after install. I also used the Rear Camber kit. Very easy to adjust. I have the Front & Rear Camber kit for sale if interested. I'm an authorized Omni Power Dealer. I have a set of new Camber Kits for sale and one set of USED off my R for sale.

Check out my F.S. thread.
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5913

Omni Power's Site: (for more info)...Read why Omni's are one of the best.
Front Camber Kit-
http://www.omnipowerusa.com/Products/Pr ... _Front.asp

Rear Camber Kit-
http://www.omnipowerusa.com/Products/Pr ... s_Rear.asp

Hope this helps out. Let me know.

Thanks,

Brian
US Combat Veteran
00 PY-R 0747
R.I.P. C.R.C. & 97 CW-R 0158 12/17/04
Parts F.S.: http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12541
97 TYPE-R 312
Mid Atlantic Director

Post by 97 TYPE-R 312 »

SPC camber kit will be fine for your application. Very nice and quality product!

-Victor
97 TYPE-R 312
06 TSX 6MT NAVI
09 Ninja 250R
VPR Motorsports
Sponsoring EXPO 03-10
Mid Atlantic Dealer for Cobalt Friction, Sparco, Bell, Amsoil
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: camber kits, recommendation? ball joint or control arm...?

Post by Dave-ROR »

hmfl wrote:Anyone have a recommendation on what kind of camber kit to get that would maximize handling performance and/or have a long life?

Thanks!
What are you trying to accomplish. -2 camber is nothing to worry about. Do you want more neg camber or less? What's the car used for?
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
hmfl
New ITRCA Member

Post by hmfl »

Dave-ROR,

Actually, the camber is probably off more than -2. My front tires show excessive wear on the inner part.
So I gotta fix it. Car is for street use but thinking of autocrossing.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: camber kits, recommendation? ball joint or control arm...?

Post by Dave-ROR »

hmfl wrote:Dave-ROR,

Actually, the camber is probably off more than -2. My front tires show excessive wear on the inner part.
So I gotta fix it. Car is for street use but thinking of autocrossing.
When is the last time you had an alignment and what were the specs it was set to? I am highly doubtful that the wear is related to the camber. I've run over -2.5 degrees for years on the same set of tires (S-03's at that) with street driving (track/autocross was with r compounds).

I don't support the use of camber kits in most cases because they are simply not the correct fix for most of these problems.

Get the car to a good alignment shop that will print out the alignment specs for you and do a proper alignment (either to factory specs or to whatever toe settings you prefer). It will quite likely solve your problem.

Toe is almost always the cause until you have -3 or more camber.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

Dave is 100% correct. On my old Civic, I lowered it, and installed an Ingalls camber kit (front and rear) I procrastinanted on getting an alignment done(will never happen again) and once the inner half of my tires were bald. I finally went and got that alignment done. I was 3 1/2 degrees toe out! I only had them adjust the toe back, and got new tires. I still ran the same camber for well over a year(yes it was my only car, so daily driver). Guess what........those wheels/tire combo is still on my CRX today! 3 years later with no signs of excessive wear!

Moral of this story....Go get an alignment! Problem solved!
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
Blowing your motor when attempting to run a Type-R- PRICELESS!!!