TYPE-R Getting old?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.

Do you worry about how many miles you put on your "R"?

Yes, I barely drive it!
53%
No, I drive fast, and race hard!
47%

Total votes: 17

pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

TYPE-R Getting old?

Post by pUrExTc »

What's your guys take on the mileage of your car. Are you the type that worries about it? Or the type that thinks that a car is there to be driven, and don't care about how many miles your packing.

I'm kind of torn between driving it a lot, and not.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

When I first owned my '98 I drove it infrequently and treated it with kid-gloves, not only for mileage sake but also for keeping it pristine and therefore having a higher resale value when I decided to sell it.
However, as time went by it finally occurred to me that 1: It's a Honda and will therefore give years and years of faithful, reliable service. 2: The enjoyment of this car is in driving it, not just looking at it or being seen in it. It's not a Deusenberg and shouldn't be treated like one. 3: It's only a $24,000 car and whether it's driven regularly, raced, or sits as a trailer queen the difference at selling time is only going to be a few thousand dollars - assuming it's not an abused, beat up car, of course.
So drive it, and drive it a lot. There aren't too many factory cars made 'as-is' for the road and the track like a TypeR is, so enjoy it.
bbqman
Canadian Director

the more the merrier

Post by bbqman »

I don't sweat it with the miles...er kilometers that is. This car was designed to be enjoyed and when it will need refreshing....no problemo.

Bought it July2001 with 24000km...very low mileage...and then voila....71,000km.
47,000km in about 18 months with no regrets.

BBQman
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

HA. miles the more you have on the car, that just means you have had more fun.

I happen to fall right where the average is of 15k a year, but that does not tell you how I enjoy my car.
swed
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

I bought mine used in October of '00. It had just over 24K on it. 2 years and some odd months later it has just over 42K on it. So, I drive it (approx.) 18K for two years, or 9K a year. Is this about right? What do other people's '98's have on them?
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
natedogg2669
New ITRCA Member

Post by natedogg2669 »

Depends. If I'm looking to buy one, I want it with low mileage. I know Honda's run forever, but higher mileage cars need more maintenance work due to the wear and tear on the vehicle (timing belts, brakes, etc.). I drove my Type R everyday, and still put on average mileage each year (14-15K). It was meticulously maintained and sold for a nice price too. Now that I'm considering buying another one, I'll be looking for something with low mileage, stock and well maintained.
00' PY ITR - SOLD! (I miss her!)
02' WRX - SOLD!
01' S2K - SOLD!
03' S2K - New Formula Red
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

Well then, what do you think mine would be worth these days? '98 ITR #0234, Championship White, 42,000 mi., AEM CAI.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
natedogg2669
New ITRCA Member

Post by natedogg2669 »

pUrExTc wrote:Well then, what do you think mine would be worth these days? '98 ITR #0234, Championship White, 42,000 mi., AEM CAI.
I'd easily pay $17-18500 for your car. In fact, I'd like to buy one like yours if I could find one in that type of condition near me!
00' PY ITR - SOLD! (I miss her!)
02' WRX - SOLD!
01' S2K - SOLD!
03' S2K - New Formula Red