Parking ITR in outside parking lot?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
integra891
New ITRCA Member

Parking ITR in outside parking lot?

Post by integra891 »

I will be moving soon and the place I am moving to does not have indoor parking, so I will be forced to park my car outdoors in a non secure parking lot. I was just curious as to how many people park their cars outdoors and what kind of problems they have had.
Sprockett
ITRCA Member

Post by Sprockett »

My advice is to get the absolute BEST security system for your car, and then have a backup (like a fuel cutoff switch hidden somewhere). ITRs are well-known targets to car thieves, as you probably know. Best of luck to you!
2000 PY Integra Type-R Turbo
#2000-602
Check it out:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2185863/1
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

In CA... I would not try it.
Good luck.
swed
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

AT ALL COSTS, move somewhere else.
A "layered security" is your best bet if not.
Alarm
Removable steering wheel
Disable electric lock switches(locks by remote only)
Theft bars and floor/wheel locks
Tire boot
Kill swtch/code
Good Luck, paranoia is your friend.
ebelp
New ITRCA Member

Post by ebelp »

Make sure you park at an angle where a flatbed can't get to your car. Always park with your steering wheel fully turned, in gear, and the e-brake engaged.

I fear flatbeds more than I fear the common household thief.
ITR1
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR1 »

Chain your car to a tree or something strong.
Searching done, 2001 ITR :D wooo hoooo! ever-so-happy! its a PLEASURE driving now.
mythias
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by mythias »

Look into affordable long term private storage rental.
-Brad
silver
New ITRCA Member

Post by silver »

when i park outside at work i use a car cover and i park in a spot that'd be impossible to use a tow truck. it's inevitable that if someone really wanted to get your car then they'd get it. there is actually two py that park on the street that i know of near me and haven't been touched...it's a its a high traffic street...but maybe thats why.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

ebelp wrote:Make sure you park at an angle where a flatbed can't get to your car. Always park with your steering wheel fully turned, in gear, and the e-brake engaged.

I fear flatbeds more than I fear the common household thief.
Some go-jacks (which anyone with a tow truck will have) will defeat all that in 10 seconds per wheel. People who are getting their cars repossed try all those things too and it doens't help.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Chris F
ITRCA Member

Post by Chris F »

Dave-ROR wrote:Some go-jacks (which anyone with a tow truck will have) will defeat all that in 10 seconds per wheel. People who are getting their cars repossed try all those things too and it doens't help.
True story.

:(

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/GJ-5000.html

• Save time and money with GoJak® The Faster Caster System® - the patented portable jack/dolly combo that lifts any car in seconds and allows the car to be moved in any direction (when 2 pairs are used) or pivoted (when 1 pair is used) with ease..
• Lifts vehicle by tire
• Great for use in crowded automotive shops, on immobilized vehicles, for tow trucks, parking garages etc.
• 1 year limited warranty
• Priced per pair
CC Fries IV
Sold ITR 98-1085
1993 Prelude VTEC
mythias
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by mythias »

Dave-ROR wrote:Some go-jacks (which anyone with a tow truck will have) will defeat all that in 10 seconds per wheel. People who are getting their cars repossed try all those things too and it doens't help.
I am sure a similar device was used to take my ITR. There were castor marks on the floor of my garage that started where the front wheels were.
-Brad
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

If they want your caR they will take it. Nothing will stop them and they will stop at nothing once they know where your caR is. Good luck.

And BTW a bed/tow truck will just pull your car into position no matter how you park. I've seen it done.
integra891
New ITRCA Member

Post by integra891 »

what if i put two tire/wheel boots, one on each of the rear wheels. would they still be able to get my car onto a flatbed?
apexii
New ITRCA Member

Post by apexii »

to answer the question, yes, but why would you want to?

If you're at the point where you're considering using 2 boots to secure your caR, you need a different caR....

fwiw, my 01 was stolen in 4 minutes flat, watched it on camera drive away from a secure parking lot. The car was then driven to miami, stripped and attempted to be sold on h-t, imagine that....
'01 #361 STOLEN 3/5/03
'98 #98 STOLEN 3/13/06
'93 turbolude garage ornament
'04 TL Navi Black/Black
xanctus
New ITRCA Member

Post by xanctus »

better not have a R if you don't have any secure garage....really R is a hot item for thieves.
ITR862
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR862 »

xanctus wrote:better not have a R if you don't have any secure garage....really R is a hot item for thieves.
It depends on where you live. Mines been parked outside for the last 3.5 years Ive owned it and never had a problem but then again I live in a small town in Texas full of cowhicks.
SaraITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by SaraITR »

I just barely got my 01 and it'll be parked outside half the time, the other half it'll be in a garage. But that doesn't make me feel any better, my S4 was stolen out of the closed, secure garage. Luckily we recovered it, and the ITR has a kill switch that was re-wired through the firewall. I'm still nervous and check on it whenever I get up in the middle of the night...