Driving without an airbag

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Jacques79
New ITRCA Member

Driving without an airbag

Post by Jacques79 »

I'm about to purchase an aftermarket steering wheel but am a little afraid of driving without an airbag...

For those of you who have aftermarket steering wheels with no airbag, aern't you scared?

Ideally I would get the Integra DC2 JDM ITR SRS Momo Steering Wheel which kind of looks like a S2000 one with aribag. Anyone know the size of this wheel?

Sorry if this sounds lame but maybe some of you who have crashed a car without airbag can tell me some things...I know I like to drive REALLY close to the steering wheel and that can be dangerous if there's an airbag.

But the fact is you have 30% less chance of dying with an airbag; doesn't this statistic scare off people who have these nice MOMO steering wheels without airbags?

:?:
Sprockett
ITRCA Member

Post by Sprockett »

No...not scared (this was when I was driving my old GSR that had a Momo wheel). I almost think it's more dangerous sometimes than good, especially considering how close I sit to the wheel, even during normal driving. For airbags to be most effective and the least harmful you should be as far from them as possible. I think a good seatbelt should be just fine...people survived before airbags, too. Look into a good roll bar (autopower) and a good harness (takata) and you should be good to go. That and don't crash...that should work too. That's just my take on things.
2000 PY Integra Type-R Turbo
#2000-602
Check it out:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2185863/1
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

I really wasnt concerned about myself, I was more concerned about my passenger. If the DS airbag is disconnected the passenger side will not go off either. I bought the JDM SRS ITR wheel, great wheel with the airbag!!
Jacques79
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jacques79 »

walker111 wrote:I really wasnt concerned about myself, I was more concerned about my passenger. If the DS airbag is disconnected the passenger side will not go off either. I bought the JDM SRS ITR wheel, great wheel with the airbag!!
Is the JDM wheel smaller and thicker than the stock ITR wheel?

How much did you pay for it?
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

Yes it is an awesome wheel. Perfect for what I wanted. Superb feel, I paid 300 bucks for it. Damn fine condition too.