Timing Questions.......

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Timing Questions.......

Post by black itr guy »

I have been wanting to know this for awhile and every forum i ask this question on i havent got the answers i want, so i figured i would try the people i know that know more about the R than myself.

Here goes:

I recently installed and msd digital 6 ignition box, along with msd 8.5 mm wires, and the blaster coil. After doing so i gapped my plugs a little more(i cant remember what i actually set them at right now it was last summer when i did it but it was in the lines of what msd recommended) and nerver touched the timing. I know that ive read people say advance to 18 degrees btdc on stock integras, and that is what i have just been told to do. This just doesnt seem right to me at all with what i have put on. I figure i might have to advance more in order to accomidate the digital 6. Now i ask from you am i right or wrong ?

And if i do have to advance more how do i know how far? I was told on one site advance it two degrees at a time until i hear the motor knock then take back away 2 and that is the optimum setting. Is this correct or not?

Thanks for the help im just trying to make sense of all the internet advice and figure out what is the best info.
no really they are just stickers. =)
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

swed
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Post by black itr guy »

can i get an explanation to go with that.........are you suggesting just taking it to the stock timing point and leave it then?

so its supposed to be at 16 degreees btdc +/-2 degrees at 800 rpm idle am i Corect?
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Post by black itr guy »

bump bump i really want to see some replys on this if i can.......if i dont get any after this ill leave it at that.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

Ok, here's the deal. First of all, you need to get yourself an inductive timing light, none of this "turn it till it knocks.." bullshit. Make sure the engine is warm and idling at the proper level, jumper the service connector and hook up the inductive clamp to the number 1 spark plug wire and point the timing light at the crank pulley (with the engine running ofcourse).

If the timing mark lines up with your desired target timing, then leave it alone, if you need to adjust, loosen the distributor bolts and turn the distributor until your timing marks line up.

Here's a pic of the location of your timing marks on the crank pulley

And here's nice write up on it too.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... l%26sa%3DN

I've heard of plenty of people changing their static timing to 18 degrees, but make sure you have no knock. Personally I'd keep it at 16 to be safe.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Post by black itr guy »

thanks for the explanation and your intrest in my post, but mabey i havent made myself clear or not. i know how to do it, the way you just explaned it is exactly how i plan on doing it, i am just wondering if taking it two degrees by two degrees is it going to knock when i get to 20 degrees and turn it back the two degrees to 18 and be in the 16 +/-2, or will it knock at like 24 degrees and i will not be even be close to the safe stock range of 16?

i guess i got really confused when i heard this and just didnt understand.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

Whether it knocks at 18 degrees advance or not depends on a lot of things, but mostly it will depend on your AF and the octane of your fuel.

There's no way for anyone else to guess if it will knock, you'll just have to try it. I've had many friends go ahead and advance static timing to 18 no problem. I even ran it at 18 on boost (without realizing it), it never knocked. When I had my car dyno tuned, my tuner turned it back to 16.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Post by black itr guy »

i was just worried about with my ignition set up if it would be any different

thanks for the help i guess go to 18 and "run 'er and watch 'er"
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

heel_touge
New ITRCA Member

Post by heel_touge »

alright im not trying to steal the thread BUT.....

recieved the r in poor running condition. pinged too much for a daily driver.
i figured timing could have a lot to do with it so i went and retimed it.
i set the light set to 16 and i got it set right on the TDC notch thinking this was the correct way because the car ran so much better.

i recently found out that it should be set to the middle notch of the three. so i go out and start adjusting the distributor. problem is i can totally advance it or retard it and it wont even come close to the 16 degree mark. the closest it will come with the dizzy fully pushed one way is barely touching the 18 mark. now, i know this cant be right. does any one have ideas of what going on? could the belt have skipped a tooth? camgears slipping?does the light need to be at a different speed? would either of these three things cause the timing marks to be off?
lll l ll llll l ll ll
l00001051l
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Post by black itr guy »

did you short the service connector before you started adjusting the timing?
heel_touge
New ITRCA Member

Post by heel_touge »

this i did not do, does it really make much a difference? ill give it a shot.
lll l ll llll l ll ll
l00001051l
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Post by black itr guy »

makes all the difference.......if you dont the computer is trying to compansate for what your adjusting, this is what i understand from everything i have read, if im wrong somone please correct me.
shotenITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by shotenITR »

Yeah...need to short service connector and i usually let it warm until the fans turn on.....then out comes the snap-on timing gun. :)
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Post by black itr guy »

ive always wondered this if you have a cel does that effect it also???