Salvage Title

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
JoshM
New ITRCA Member

Salvage Title

Post by JoshM »

hey Guys,

Im looking at getting a used ITr up here in Canada.
Its a 99 Championship White with 95,000 kms.
The only bad part is that it has a salvage title.
the guy im looking at buying it from has been really great about everything, he has pictures of the car before and after repair.
It was all cosmetic damage, front bumper, fender,door. All repaired using a laser system at a very reputible body shop.
All numbers match and it is in very good contition.
The price a very good 16k CAD.
What does everyone think?
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Post by black itr guy »

laser system?
no really they are just stickers. =)
JoshM
New ITRCA Member

Post by JoshM »

Basically, the car was stripped down to just the body and powertrain, checked using a laser measuring system to insure that everything was perfect, then reassembled.
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Post by black itr guy »

ok gottcha
no really they are just stickers. =)
Sprockett
ITRCA Member

Post by Sprockett »

If there's no water damage (from a flood or something), and the frame lines up perfectly then I would say it's probably OK...only thing I would worry about is having stress fractures in the metal somewhere that would weaken and get worse over time.
2000 PY Integra Type-R Turbo
#2000-602
Check it out:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2185863/1
StatGSR
New ITRCA Member

Post by StatGSR »

id try to get em down another thousand atleast... 15K Cad = 13K US
and that doesnt sound like it would be too terrible for a salvaged itr in exceltent shape...
94 Integra GSR
nsxtasy
ITRCA Member

Post by nsxtasy »

I would recommend against getting it for anywhere near that price. It's just not enough of a discount from one with a clean title. You will not be able to get your full value if it's stolen or crashed and totalled, and it will be tough as nails to re-sell unless you do so with a really steep discount. Those are serious downsides, and it should sell for a lot less than that to compensate.
JoshM
New ITRCA Member

Post by JoshM »

nsxtasy wrote:I would recommend against getting it for anywhere near that price. It's just not enough of a discount from one with a clean title. You will not be able to get your full value if it's stolen or crashed and totalled, and it will be tough as nails to re-sell unless you do so with a really steep discount. Those are serious downsides, and it should sell for a lot less than that to compensate.
I thought it seemed like a pretty good price. There are other 99s and 00s going for 20k+ plus up here, with more kms.
Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds
Post Whore!!

Post by Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds »

I'm not sure where you are in Canada,but when we were looking for our Type R we lucked out BIG TIME and found our mint 97 with 50,000 ish kms on her for $15,888 at a Nissan dealership who had no idea what a Type R was worth.They even advertised with a picture of a gsr and under that put "Type R"! So we checked her out and found that she was, indeed ITR #474 and put a deposit on her right then.I know the odds of that happening again are slim to none, but keep your eyes open because you never know.
nsxtasy
ITRCA Member

Post by nsxtasy »

JoshM wrote:I thought it seemed like a pretty good price. There are other 99s and 00s going for 20k+ plus up here, with more kms.
Yes, but those are clean title cars that can be re-sold easily for close to what you buy them for. A salvage title car can't, especially if you overpay for it.

A rebuilt salvage title car should sell for at least a 30-40 percent discount compared with a similar car with a clean title.
avs0730
New ITRCA Member

Post by avs0730 »

a guy by me paid 9000 for a 2001 salvage title only missing a head