Ticking Noise with Cams, HELP!!!!!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Ticking Noise with Cams, HELP!!!!!

Post by Aj »

Well, don't get me wrong, I've built my fair share of Honda motors, and heard all sorts of strange noises, but, in my car, I've had this strange tick, ever since I went into the head, It almost sounds like the normal ticking that Hondas make, but a lot louder, it almost sounds like injectors that are twice as loud as normal.

In order to get the tick to stop, I replaced, the springs, retainers, rockers, V-tech plungers, the actual head it self, the valves, valve guides and seals, the pistons, and the rods, and to be totaly honest, I can't think of what else it could be???????

The only things I didn't switch were the cams and cam gears, though I thought that that might be the problem, I thought back, and the same noise was being made before I put in the cams and cam gears.

For the life of me, I really have no idea what it is, What I think it is, is just the fact that a stiffer valve train tends to make more noise, and that the valves are just hitting the head a little harder due to the stiffness of the springs and thats what is causing the noise?????

I was thinking of going to a fourty weight oil, and seeing if maybe a thicker oil provided a little more lubrication, and would get rid of the tick. I runs fast as hell, so don't get me wrong, I havn't had any problems with performance, I just dont want to be rebuilding it again.

If anyone has this same symptom, please, put up a post, and if you know what it is, and have successfully fixed the problem, let me know.

To narrow it down for you guys a little, I did the valves twice to make sure, and the cams that I'm running are the skunk2 stage-2.

Later,
Aj
Neil
New ITRCA Member

Post by Neil »

Aj,
I was wondering if you adjusted the valve lash to stock specs???
Neil #0652
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Yup, 8 on the exhaust, 7 on the intake, that's what skunk2 recomends, so that's exactly what I did.

Later,
Aj
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

tick

Post by Jan Niemi »

Try to go below stock spec by 1mm. If this doesn't kill your vacuum, you'll be all set.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Having improper valve lash settings won't accomplish anything, although I did finaly find out the problem.

It happened to be a bad injector, and I supose it was leaning out a cylinder, causeing it to tick louder than ussual, go figure.

Later,
Aj
Neil
New ITRCA Member

Post by Neil »

I was just wondering, TODA recomends that you go a little looser. But glad you figured it out.
Later
Neil
Neil #0652
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

toda

Post by Aj »

that's becuase they use cams with larger lift and longer durration, skunk2, or at least the stage one and two, aren't that rediculous. Less chance of smashing a valve into a piston.

Later,
Aj