Sputtering in VTEC mode

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
MCP486
New ITRCA Member

Sputtering in VTEC mode

Post by MCP486 »

Hi, I just bought a '98 Type R last week and the car has been a blast. Today, it started to begin sputtering when VTEC comes on. You will hear it hit at 5700, then go on and off, and the car will sort of lurch. It seems to me like either an ignition or fuel problem. Has this happened to anyone here? It has an MSD SCI Ignition, and MSD plug wires as far as electrical mods.

Thanks,

Matt
TotallyImports
New ITRCA Member

Cat

Post by TotallyImports »

I've seen this problem before. Get the catylitic conver checked out. There is a slight rich spot on the stock fuel curve that can cause a problem. Some unburnt gas can get caught up in the cat and make it act this way. Also, there is a hose that plugs into the intake manifold that is for emissions purposes; this may have gotten knocked off if you installed an aftermarket intake. or if you replaced the intake manifold (i know that the Skunk2 manifold doesn't have a place to put this tube). Lastly, if that doesn't work, check the O2 sensors. I hope that this was helpful, let me know how it goes.
TypeR886
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR886 »

Also, my friend had this problem. Check your oil level. He was so low on oil one time his vtec did the same thing. As you know you need good oil pressure to make the vtec camlobe pin to engague for vtec to kick in. That is most likely your problem.
2001 Nighthawk Back Perl Integra Type-R #886
TotallyImports
New ITRCA Member

Good point

Post by TotallyImports »

That is a good point TypeR886 I didn't think of that in my origional post. I just figured that no one would abuse an R by letting the oil level drop :D . I mean after all, these aren't German oil eating hogs like the new M3 engine or the VW 1.8t that can guzzle a quart/1000miles (and double that during break-in).
MCP486
New ITRCA Member

Thanks

Post by MCP486 »

Thanks, I am about to check the oil right now. I changed it with 4 quarts about 500 miles ago, but I have been having a lot of fun with it :D No oil check light was coming on, but I will let you guys know whats up as soon as I fix the problem.

Thanks,

Matt
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

500 miles and a lot of Vtec = a lot of burn oil

as the guys said, it sounds a lot like you're low oin oil.

Later.,
Aj
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Check your oil and get back to us.
blktyprgrl
New ITRCA Member

Same problem...but different

Post by blktyprgrl »

I"m having a simlar problem w/ my 01 type r..... when it is low on gas (fourth to eighth of a tank) the car will begin to sputter at 4000 and continue until vtec kicks in..... the other morning it would not start at all and had to be towed to acura...there, it supposedly started right up and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. this morning as i was going the work the car sputtered and died.... it finally cranked back up.... and is running ok.... any suggestions as to what this could be???
01-0177
yea, bitches! ;)
TypeR886
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR886 »

Thats what I hate about Acura, I get that all the time "It worked fine for us, we cant fix something with out experiencing it!" Pisses me off, but anyway... It sounds something like a bad fuel pump. Do you have an aftermarket fuel rail or something that has to do with fuel?
2001 Nighthawk Back Perl Integra Type-R #886
Dev
ITRCA Member

injector harness

Post by Dev »

The spuddering and starting problem could be due to loose or bad solders in the injector harness.

I chased a problem similar to this for three weeks. Sometimes the car would start, sometimes it would just turn over and over w/o ignition. Acura blamed it on bad gas...cold mornings...mods(funny, I dont have any) everything.

I finally went ape-sh8 and started shaking everything that i could in the bay until the engine stalled. As soon as I touched the injector harness the engine spuddered. When I pushed with force it died and wouldn't start again until it was shaken.

Take it back to Acura, ****try to get a complimentary set of plugs first*** then suggest that the injector harness may be loose. The labor for this repair is like 300 ducks :x

Its all worth it after the car runs mint!!!! Dev
blktyprgrl
New ITRCA Member

Post by blktyprgrl »

i already got the "complementary set of plugs" :) Acura replaced the spark plugs and distributor button..... the problem was not solved..... like your experience, Acura is blaming it on bad gas and cold starts, but it even occurs after riding 30 miles at 80 down the interstate.. like you i'm going crazy!!!!! no aftermarket fuel system changes... the only mods i have are the basics intake headers exhaust.... it either has to be fuel or fire... i'm taking it back up there tuesday and i'll tell them your suggestions!!! thanks.
01-0177
yea, bitches! ;)
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

I had a similar problem with my 01. One day it just died in traffic. I got it started back and it was fine, then it slowly became REALLY hard to start in cold weather, and it would hesitate above say 3k-4k RPMs when cold, and would hesitate above 7500 or so ALL the time. It would like cutout/buck/hesitate, and still occasionally would just die for no reason. I took it to the dealer who of course blamed it on my header(??). Took it to a different dealer (Baranco Acura) and they ended up replacing:

-ignition coil assembly
-igniter unit
-rotor assembly
-distributor housing

They had the car for a long time replacing stuff before this finally fixed it. They used the "Tech Line" w/Acura quite a bit.

Good luck!
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

B2FiNiTY wrote:Check your oil and get back to us.
:)
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

my experience

Post by Type R 98 »

I had the exact same thing happen to me.. its either oil level that was a bid low in my case or probably the catalyser.. however, it screwed up for a week, and came back to normal one time.. i was so happy to rehave my vtec i shifted my friend to show him who was the man back in town on the double lines... hehe he never believed that my vtec was kicking in is ear again;)) As far as abusing an R with low oil levels.. i don't know about you guys, but im like 55 000 miles and i burn a pint of oil every time i either hit my vtec for a good 10 minutes on the highway ( ± 120 MPH cruising with stop and go racing involvment ), or nail 1st and 2nd gear alot in daily city driving...

No im not a sick bastard, Thats what type R's are all about;) bet some of yall do it alot too.. lol
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870