Check Engine Light

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
rosenjoseph
New ITRCA Member

Check Engine Light

Post by rosenjoseph »

I tried to do a search, but all I got was 6 pages of this forum.

My check engine light came on while idling. This is the second time it has happened in a month. The first time happened right after I refueled the car. I thought that I did not tighten the gas cap enough and disregarded it. The light did not reset itslef as the manual stated. So, I disconnnected the battery and all was fine until today. The light came on again, and then the car began idling hard. The car did not drive smoothly either.
SanjayR
New ITRCA Member

Post by SanjayR »

Its probably your 02 sensor. But it depends on how many mile you have in the car.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

jumper the OBD2 port and count the flahes and get back to us.

Trey
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

Check Engine, or Maint Reqd? Stupid thing to ask, as you probably know the difference, but my friend didn't and said it was his check engine light also. anyway, quick fix, if it is maintenance required light, underneath your steering column, on the right hand side, is a button. Push and hold for five seconds. That light won't flash or come on again for another 15,000 mi.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

He is throwing code 14 Idle Air Controler (IAC) unplugged or defective . . .
rosenjoseph
New ITRCA Member

Post by rosenjoseph »

My car is closing in on 10K miles. I haven't had a chance to pop the hood and start poking around yet. I am afraid that my ground wiring kit that I install about a month ago may be contributing to the problem.
T-R00
New ITRCA Member

Post by T-R00 »

My Maint REQD came on :shock: . What Maintanence has to be done to my R? If any can respond that would be great.
Peas
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Maint required light comes on every 7500 miles regardless of anything else. You should reset it and change your oil if needed. Depending on the actual mileage of the car other regualr maintenance might need yto be done.

Trey
T-R00
New ITRCA Member

Post by T-R00 »

I have 56K on my R and i've just change the oil...So you're saying nothing is there to check or anything else?
Thanks
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

You should be doing a lot of other stuff that you're not, such as changing your tranny oil, adjusting your valves, bleading your clutch and brakes, amongst many other things.

As far as the service engine soon light goes, believe it or not, there is actually a button beneath the dash that if you hold while turning the key on accesory mode, should get rid of the light.

As far as a code 14, the IACV in ITRs are notorious for going bad, especially id you screw with your idle via the screw near your your map sensor. Eventually the motors in them go bad, some cars it takes 250,000 miles, some it only takes 25,000 miles, you never really can tell.

Either way, they're just two bolts, a coolant hose, and a plug to replace, not a hard thing.

Good Luck,
Aj
rosenjoseph
New ITRCA Member

Post by rosenjoseph »

Thanks for all of the help. My first problem was caused by bad gas. After burning it off, everything was ok. I have not tinkered w/ my bouncing idle yet. I did find the "Check Engine Light" reset button that Aj spoke about. It was under the driver's side dash. Just follow the right side of your steering column down your dash until you find the button. It was a light blue square on my '01 ITR. Hold it in while having the key turned to the accessory mode and the light should go out on its own. Thanks again.
mydc2200
New ITRCA Member

Re: Check Engine Light

Post by mydc2200 »

i got the same problem as you when i accelerate to 5+, not very often