Share Your Racing Stories

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

Heh heh. I've often thought about practicing launching somewhere totally deserted, but have never been able to find a place.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

Well i'll say this, I used to street race and I'm not telling others to. When I was younger and wilder I tried some pretty crazy stupid things, but nowadays especially because I own a ITR I see idiots everyday acting crazy on the highway. just the sight of me coming up on them on the highway on my road home, people in other vehicles (VW's other imports) either try to downshift and start hauling ass or pull some crazy manuever cutting off other cars without signaling just to entice me to race in traffic. I've come to my own realization that there is a time an place for such activities and it's not on the street. We as ITR import owners have enough heat placed on us because of movies and stupid acts. So to even try to race and you get caught or worse your adding to the problem rather then helping it. :twisted:

but that just me
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

Good to hear Kangbateh, keep on keepin' it on the track. If they really want to race you, tell them to come to the next autox or track day. By the way, I agree with what you said about drag racing the R, it's really not meant for that. I don't find much fun in drag racing anyway, just going in a straight line for a few seconds, regardless of how fast, I dunno, just doesn't do it for me.
swtxaznrac3r
ITRCA Member

Post by swtxaznrac3r »

Same here, i don't feel you are using an ITR to its full potential unless its in an Autox. Thats where real skill comes in. I myself am a young kid (19) but i do know that street racing isn't good. Its not worth risking a ticket or dying to show to some 16 yr old who just got his license that i'm better. Any recent challenges i have gotten since i got my R, i have made them all Autox races. About half agreed, the other half chickened out. This way, I become a better driver and also get to shut up some of my friends who say the R isn't "that great."

NT #703
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

Heh heh, very nice swtxaznrac3r. Ever taken it on a track before? From what I've been able to gather from my own track experiences, if autox is really fun, tracking is REALLY fun. If I wasn't going to school and had loads of money laying around, that's all I'd do.
swtxaznrac3r
ITRCA Member

Post by swtxaznrac3r »

sscguy, i know how u feel. i went broke and into debt getting my R. I wanna do so much to it but i need to save for awhile. on another note...yesterday was 2 month anniversary for me and my R. :D

NT #703
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

I think I just reached my 7 month "anniversary" myself. Of course, it's only been on the road for like 4 of those months... Heh heh, and this is probably the second longest amount of time I've owned any one car.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

George Knighton wrote:Corey cut his teeth in his teenage years at a 1/8 mile drag strip out in the woods in Culpeper.

In consequence of this, he's just a better drag racer, and since Honda Challenge is standing start, he usually begins the race a leg up on any competition.
Damn - I didn't know he was the genious I should of asked for tips back when he instructed me at Expo 3!!

Maybe the next expo should be a standing start! j/k
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

BudMan wrote:Maybe the next expo should be a standing start! j/k
Ummm.... I'm thinking... NO !!

LOL...
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Re: Share Your Racing Stories

Post by TypeR 801 »

Before everyone jumps me, I know street racing is wrong and I rarely if ever do it, but

[edit - shoulda stopped right there

-Chris N]
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
RGoose18
ITRCA Member

Post by RGoose18 »

For all you people that say drag racing just isn't for you, haven't tried it (legally, of course) Although our cars weren't designed for the strip, it's still extremely fun. Don't get why so many are inclined to "bash the strip", it's not only a good place to learn about your own car, but others as well.
bbqman
Canadian Director

Racing at Lime Rock

Post by bbqman »

While my ITR is still relatively stock and serves as my daily driver, along with autocross and Time Trials, I still get out and roadrace once in a while.
My partner did a write up on our last trip...on Saturday to Lime Rock.

This is the link to the post...long, but a great racing story, and isn't it the title of this thread...enjoy

honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=666394
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

RGoose18 wrote:For all you people that say drag racing just isn't for you, haven't tried it (legally, of course) Although our cars weren't designed for the strip, it's still extremely fun. Don't get why so many are inclined to "bash the strip", it's not only a good place to learn about your own car, but others as well.
Drag Racing is only fun for a few seconds. That's my problem with it. Autocrossing it also only fun for ~1 minute. That's my problem with that. At least driving on a track can be fun for 15-40 minutes straight.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
HyperS
New ITRCA Member

Post by HyperS »

"The other car slammed into a tree" Hah! -The idiots in philapelphia.

It looks like both cars egged each other one so much that they both ignored their own instincts and took a corner way too fast.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Drag Racing is only fun for a few seconds. That's my problem with it. Autocrossing it also only fun for ~1 minute. That's my problem with that. At least driving on a track can be fun for 15-40 minutes straight.[/quote]

AMEN!!!!! 30 minutes adreneline rush roooooooccckkksss.... :shock:
fomoco
New ITRCA Member

Post by fomoco »

[edited - no street racing talk or you get banned. no questions

signed - Chris N]
00 Stock ITR
05 mustang
68 mustang fastback 420hp
Dark Angel
New ITRCA Member

Post by Dark Angel »

[edit - no street racing talk. regardless of what you 'think' about it - dont talk about it here

-Chris N]

DUDE MY UNCLE IS A COP TOO. I PERSONALY DON'T THINK THAT STREET RACING IS BAD BUT YOU SHOULD KNOW WHEN TO DO IT. WHAT EVER HAPPENS YOU DECIDED TO STEP ON THE GAS, SO IF THERE IS A PRICE TO PAY THEN LIKE WE AT SRU SAY "YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY"
The REV Tyme Is Short!?!?!?
neo_
ITRCA Member

Post by neo_ »

fomoco wrote:im not much of a street racer but i do like to have a little go at it with some other playfull cars.... nothing fast enough to get a speeding ticket because i found a loop hole in the "speed contest" law where i believe you have to brake the speed limit so techinally its legal. (my dad is a cop) i have most of my local fun on freeway onramps at night, find a nice S shaped one and let it rip! a local legal way to go 65-75 on a tight windy onramp!

I believe you can still be ticketed for "Speed Competition"

So anyone want to see a vid of me street racing or what...?
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

neo_ wrote:[So anyone want to see a vid of me street racing or what...?
Do not post it on here.
swed
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

This one time in driving school........ We were learning the PIT maneuver, after doing it over and over again I decided to have some fun with a friend that was also taking the school. I was chasing him I initiated the PIT but didnt finish, I ended up turning him sideways and still plowing into him until his vehicle ended up on its side!!

Another, In a tactical driving school, I was driving and a friend was shotgun. We were practicing firing from a vehicle at speed, I was upwards of 85mph, friend was hanging out the window with an MP5. I was going around a bend in the road and the ass end of the car started to come out, I applied more gas and going with the slide. Apparently my co-pilot lost control of his weapon and decided to kill the vehicle we were driving...... 11 holes in the fender and hood and a flat tire later we were laughing about it!
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

http://www.pursuitwatch.org/images/pit.wmv

Good example of the PIT maneuver in action!