Drag Intake Manifold...

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
The Gnome
New ITRCA Member

Drag Intake Manifold...

Post by The Gnome »

I'm trying to find a decent one (best HP/money, and is pretty good quality. Any opinions are appreciated. The kind of manifold where the four velocity stacks acts like an individual throttle body for each cylinder.

just give me some manufacturers names and maybe where I could purchase them, i.e. website.

Thanks. :)
"Sleep...you can sleep when you're dead".
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

The only company that I know of that uses velocity stacks on the inside of it's intake manifolds that I've seen, is JUN. And to tell you the truth, for the price of their manifold, you could certainly do many other things, that price for dollar would be substancially more affective.

Any way, their website last I checked, was something like Junauto.com

Good luck, let me know if you find anything aside from them.

Later,
Aj
TyPeRChArGeR
New ITRCA Member

Post by TyPeRChArGeR »

I know of two other companies that make the individual throttle bodies that replace the mainfold and act as a whole together. (1) Toda sport induction kit retails for $2600 for more info go to http://www.todaracing.com (2) TWM 2000 series throttle bodies retails for $2200 for more info go to http://www.twminduction.com
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Actually, I think I misunderstood what was being asked. The Jun manifold is a single TB manifold, not individual, but uses velocity stacks internally at the top of each runner, plus are flow benched by hand and balanced, this is why they are so much money.

As far as ITBs, there are a couple out there, but in all real honesty, out of the two or three we've dynoed, other than producing a pretty good amount of torque, there wasn't that mch more of a gain. Aside from that, they're really loud, and suck up pretty much anything in you engine bay....

Later,
Aj
TyPeRChArGeR
New ITRCA Member

Post by TyPeRChArGeR »

Aj, which ITBs did you guys dyno? I was thinking about getting one but wasn't sure if it was worth it for the price. I heard their suppose to give big gains in hp & torque. However, they take a lot of dyno time to tune to get the full power. So in your opinion do you think the Jun manifold is better than the ITBs in power gains?
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Yes, and no....

It's a lot more practical, and a lot more cost effective if you don't already have a standalone and a custom harness. On top of that, you need to get custom made mini filters for the each throttle body, otherwise your motor won't last long, given open air ports straight into the head.

The Jun manifold is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but you can use all your factory stuff with it, so it does save you a couple bucks in the long run, not to mention, you can hear yourself think when you're driving around town.

We dynoed the Toda sport injection kit on a B16B running about 14.1:1 compression with Jun type-3 cams. I suppose the reason why we didn't get much power out of it was, it was already pretty damn well tunned with the setup it was running. Unfortunately we ran out of 115 before we got to try the STR manifold/TB combo we had sitting arround for a comparison. Any way, we made 16whp and 22ft/lbs of torque with the ITBs, which may sound like a lot, but to consider that we spent close to 4,500 bucks just getting them to work corectly, I'm not sure it was at all worth the moolah.

Any way, if Jun is willing to make you a manifold for under 2K, then it's a good deal, but ussualy they're pretty damn expensive. The only time I've ever dynoed a Jun manifold was on an MR2 turbo, and from where is was at 268whp, we got it up to 331whp with just the manifold and some additional tunning to compensate for the additional air, we used a VPC and GCC to tune the car as that's what the guy had, I'm sure given a standalone we could have made more, but that is one of the most impressive gains I've ever seen on just one mod, with the exception of a bigger turbo.

Go on Juns web site, they have some pretty trick pics with dyno graphs to go with it.

Later,
Aj