Tapping Stainless Cast for EGT

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
TylerH
New ITRCA Member

Tapping Stainless Cast for EGT

Post by TylerH »

Hi, I bought a Stainless Steel Cast Inline Pro Manifold and I have to get an EGT sensor in there, any suggestions?
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

it's easy, just go to the hardware store, pick up an 1/8" NPT tap and appropriate drill bit. Pick your location, use a small drill for a pilot hole, then open the hole up with a bigger drill bit, tap the hole, install your fitting. Don't worry about a few shavings falling in..they'll just be blown out of the exhaust.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Dr Pooface
New ITRCA Member

Post by Dr Pooface »

Jan Niemi wrote:Don't worry about a few shavings falling in..they'll just be blown out of the exhaust.
If the sensor is going in pre turbo I would worry. Sending debris through the impelllor blades is never a good idea.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Use a really strong magnet and vacuum :wink:
swed
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

Dr Pooface wrote:
Jan Niemi wrote:Don't worry about a few shavings falling in..they'll just be blown out of the exhaust.
If the sensor is going in pre turbo I would worry. Sending debris through the impelllor blades is never a good idea.
it won't make any difference, it will blow right through. Been there and done that.

Ideally (obviously) you'd have the manifold on a bench, but I wouldn't waste the time if it's already on the car. I always use heavy grease on the drill and tap to trap as many shavings as possible.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.