New type r owner

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
itr2006
New ITRCA Member

New type r owner

Post by itr2006 »

Feels great being part of this group!!!! anyhoo, i just bought a 2001 CW type R that comes along with a turbo. Im pretty excited having one but also scares me coz of the horror stories i heard of having a type r turbo. Please check out this site http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/projects/integra.html
this will lead you to my type r. Please let me know if the parts are decent or i should change some parts. NO internal modication has been done. its currently running 6.5 psi. Using a split second peggyback (is that right???).

Since the internal hasnt been build up, people been telling me that it will go "ka boom"....do i really have to build up the internals with 6.5 psi?? kineticmotorsport says that my type r is really tuned good. i just can't help thinking that this engine will blow up (soon)....

any advice for a rookie would be greatly approciated. thanx in advance.
again, i feel accepted :D being part of this forum.
Doespike
Half way to a cool title.

Post by Doespike »

Congrats on your ITR purchase! Welcome to ITRCA! It's a great place to learn alot and meet some great folks!
I've no FI experience, but from what I've read, 6.5 should be quite safe for a stock motor with a proper tune.
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
RTW DC2R
ITRCA Member

Post by RTW DC2R »

congrats on the pickup! its not the PSI that matters, its how much power you are making. Do you know how much power the car is making? 300whp on a stock motor is a good round number assuming the tune is done right. ppl have had success with more power than that as well but then you start to wonder how long will it last. stock B series pistons are notorious for ringlands failing after being boosted for awhile. but again it depends on the power level and tune in general.
practice chaos to develop control.
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

PSI and CFM's all matter! But the CFM's to me matter a little bit more.

With a GT25R turbo thats on there with a "good tune" 6.5PSI should be good. :wink: If you get that itch to boost more, I wouldn't do it without dropping your compression down. Also don't drop it with doubling your head gaskets or thicker gaskets please! Get good aftermarket forged pistons in there...

Welcome aboard to ITRCA, and good luck on your purchase. 8)

BTW possible upgrading your ECU to something fully tuneable would benefit you instead of running a piggyback... :idea:
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
Blowing your motor when attempting to run a Type-R- PRICELESS!!!
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

TypeR Turbo horror stories are sooooooo 2002ish...hahahaha

Motors dont know what boost you are running so dont be scared of the psi...it boils down to how much power you are making at that psi...and more then that the proper amount of air, fuel and timing. :wink:

This is my advise to EVERY newly boosted ITR owner whos never messed with turbos on honda's....DO NOT TRY AND MAKE NO HIGHWAY CANNONBALL RUNS! This mean dont try and mess with a Supra or a Bike on the highway doing 130mph...i promise you, on a stock motor no matter how well you are tuned your blow it...Next, dont be running the car at the track like 8 passes in a row at 100 plus degree's. As long as you dont do those things and take care of it (plugs, oil, filter ect) it'll run forever...good luck
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
itr2006
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2006 »

thanx for the advice man. This will help me sleep better. As of now, im running about 250hp with 6.5 psi. Do you think that is a good setting?

I am actually planning to build up the engine next summer. My goal is just 250whp and the rest is just handling performance. Could you please help me what kind of setting/parts i should have on my itr. I want a setting that give me confident that my engine would take 250whp.
thanx

Erik B wrote:TypeR Turbo horror stories are sooooooo 2002ish...hahahaha

Motors dont know what boost you are running so dont be scared of the psi...it boils down to how much power you are making at that psi...and more then that the proper amount of air, fuel and timing. :wink:

This is my advise to EVERY newly boosted ITR owner whos never messed with turbos on honda's....DO NOT TRY AND MAKE NO HIGHWAY CANNONBALL RUNS! This mean dont try and mess with a Supra or a Bike on the highway doing 130mph...i promise you, on a stock motor no matter how well you are tuned your blow it...Next, dont be running the car at the track like 8 passes in a row at 100 plus degree's. As long as you dont do those things and take care of it (plugs, oil, filter ect) it'll run forever...good luck
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

what kinda tuners do you have access to? Ill give you my old setup and all the parts i was running.

T3/T04e turbo (.63 a/r housing, 60 trim, stage 3 wheel) Matter fact here's the link to where i bought it http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/gat360trw63a.html
Revhard cast iron turbo manifold
TiAl 35mm wastegate (.3 bar spring)
Vortech 12:1 FMU
Walbro Inline fuel pump
2.5 inch downpipe flared to 3inches after it cleared the ac unit
OBD1 p72 (GSR) ECU
XS Intercooler
Power Extreme Greddy 3 inch exhaust
All tuned with a VAFC I made 254whp @ 5.5psi (no boost controller just running off the wastegate .3bar spring) this was like in 03

Like Jan said, after a while you want a bit more....sooooooooo I went back to change some things out and upgrade.

I changed:
In-Line fuel pump to a 255lph Intank
got some Greddy 720cc injectors (at the time i knew i wanted more boost one day so i went kinda big for the psi i was running at the time but was planning for the future)
and my biggest upgrade here was the s200 Hondata

I was able to turn the boost up to 10psi and made 306whp

And ran that FOR EVER (like a year) then thats when i got really serious with it...lol. Full motor build, full race head, bigger turbo, 1000cc injectors, changed from Hondata to Neptune EMS and my setup now can make 550whp with a bit more boost...

Now Im at it again...going with a Full Race manifold, bigger intake mani and going for 650whp on c16 fuel :lol:

Point is Jan is right...your going to want more power...TRUST me...if i were you i'd start in the 300whp range...thats perfect i think and on a stock block :wink:
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
itr2006
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2006 »

Erik B wrote:what kinda tuners do you have access to? Ill give you my old setup and all the parts i was running.

T3/T04e turbo (.63 a/r housing, 60 trim, stage 3 wheel) Matter fact here's the link to where i bought it http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/gat360trw63a.html
Revhard cast iron turbo manifold
TiAl 35mm wastegate (.3 bar spring)
Vortech 12:1 FMU
Walbro Inline fuel pump
2.5 inch downpipe flared to 3inches after it cleared the ac unit
OBD1 p72 (GSR) ECU
XS Intercooler
Power Extreme Greddy 3 inch exhaust
All tuned with a VAFC I made 254whp @ 5.5psi (no boost controller just running off the wastegate .3bar spring) this was like in 03

Like Jan said, after a while you want a bit more....sooooooooo I went back to change some things out and upgrade.

I changed:
In-Line fuel pump to a 255lph Intank
got some Greddy 720cc injectors (at the time i knew i wanted more boost one day so i went kinda big for the psi i was running at the time but was planning for the future)
and my biggest upgrade here was the s200 Hondata

I was able to turn the boost up to 10psi and made 306whp

And ran that FOR EVER (like a year) then thats when i got really serious with it...lol. Full motor build, full race head, bigger turbo, 1000cc injectors, changed from Hondata to Neptune EMS and my setup now can make 550whp with a bit more boost...

Now Im at it again...going with a Full Race manifold, bigger intake mani and going for 650whp on c16 fuel :lol:

Point is Jan is right...your going to want more power...TRUST me...if i were you i'd start in the 300whp range...thats perfect i think and on a stock block :wink:
You guys are probably right about wanting MORE and MORE power. But right now i just want to take it slow. Get used to 250whp first because if I go more than that i might be just to scared to drive it.

here is my setting on my car. Please tell me if this setting has potential of having 250whp....

Engine
- Kinetic Motorsport Exhaust Manifold
- Kinetic Motorsport FMIC
- Kinetic Motorsport Silicon Hoses and SS T-Bolt Clamps
- Kinetic Motorsport Custom 3" Exhaust System
- Garret GT25R Turbocharger
- Tial 35mm Wastegate
- Tial 50mm BOV
- Custom Software Management
- Bosch Fuel Injectors
- Holley Fuel Pump

thanx
Lazarus
New ITRCA Member

Post by Lazarus »

Erik B wrote: This is my advise to EVERY newly boosted ITR owner whos never messed with turbos on honda's....DO NOT TRY AND MAKE NO HIGHWAY CANNONBALL RUNS! This mean dont try and mess with a Supra or a Bike on the highway doing 130mph...i promise you, on a stock motor no matter how well you are tuned your blow it...
Not to get off topic but why do you say this? My Spec-V was turbo'd for a bit and I would do 80-120+ mph runs all the time and didnt have a problem. Is it because of the higher compression?
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
2005 Acura MDX
Lazarus
New ITRCA Member

Post by Lazarus »

itr2006 wrote: Engine
- Kinetic Motorsport Exhaust Manifold
- Kinetic Motorsport FMIC
- Kinetic Motorsport Silicon Hoses and SS T-Bolt Clamps
- Kinetic Motorsport Custom 3" Exhaust System
- Garret GT25R Turbocharger
- Tial 35mm Wastegate
- Tial 50mm BOV
- Custom Software Management
- Bosch Fuel Injectors
- Holley Fuel Pump

thanx
What size injectors and fuel pump? That should be good for 250whp.
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
2005 Acura MDX