Type R suspension upgrade

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
TAG
New ITRCA Member

Type R suspension upgrade

Post by TAG »

I am planning a suspension upgrade on my 98 Type R. I am going to choose one of the following three suspension systems: Mugen Low Down Sports, Comptech/Koni Pro, TEIN Flex or HA. My car is a daily driver, but is used for occasional Autocross and is being setup for Solo I. If anyone has information about or experience with any of these suspension systems please share it with us on the forum.

Thanks

TAG
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Just one question, How long have you had this car?
swed
TAG
New ITRCA Member

Post by TAG »

Just one question, How long have you had this car?

I've had the car about 6 months. I came with Ground-Control coilovers using the stock shocks. One shock is already leaking, so now is a good time for an upgrade. :wink:

TAG
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

HA's are hard to come by since TEIN america doesn't offer them anymore. I would look into the TEIN Flex or my latest favorite the Zeal Function B6's (I happen to have HA's).

I do like my TEIN's a LOT but would get Zeal's next based on what I have seen and read.
TAG
New ITRCA Member

Post by TAG »

HA's are hard to come by since TEIN america doesn't offer them anymore. I would look into the TEIN Flex or my latest favorite the Zeal Function B6's (I happen to have HA's).
Thanks for the information Trey, I'll be looking at the B6's. 8)

TAG
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Some other good ones

Post by Aj »

The Bilstein PSS9 are a great coilover, especially for the street, as they aren't nearly as harsh as the Konis. You may also want to look at H&R coilovers, they really have led the field in suspension in all the pro race circuits. Don't just go by name, go by what works, and if your gonna spend the money on mugen stuff, just buy the Moton gear, it more expensive, but actually worth the price, and not just a name. Any way, good luck!!!

Aj
TAG
New ITRCA Member

Post by TAG »

..just buy the Moton gear, it more expensive, but actually worth the price, and not just a name...
Thanks for the info. AJ, I'll check out the Moton gear. I'm not familiar with that brand at all, always looking for new stuff !!

TAG
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Moton is very popular in the pro race scene, the reason you've probably never heard of them, is because they are very expensive, the set I wanted with the external oil resiviors were like 1200 a corner. Though they do make less expensive coilovers. King Motorsports sells them on their web site, even though they are overpriced. Unlike Mugen, they're not teh only retailer in the country either. Good luck!!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

One a few more questions,
Do you or have you tracked the car on a road course?

I see that you had a inferior springs on the car for a time now, maybe you should try stock for an improvement.

I have and I know many people who have a stock sus R and they really like the way it handles, not that it can't be improved but. Remember that Honda has spent alot of money on R&D for the ITR.

I also know a few people that have try to "upgrade" their sus but went back to stock.

Not trying to set a fire here but the stock is a really nice set up- the only thing you might want to do is change the springs to Spoon, they are a bit stiffer and lower the car a hair or two..

hope my advise will help you to save money and to improve your car.
swed
TAG
New ITRCA Member

Post by TAG »

..One a few more questions,
Do you or have you tracked the car on a road course?
You're not "starting any fires" by sharing your opinion, I'm glad to have your input. In answer to your first question yes I have tracked the car, in both Autocross events and Solo I as part of a SCCA hosted two day combination PDS/Solo I event at the Bragg/Smith road course here in Nevada.

As far as the Ground-Control coilovers being "inferior" I don't agree with you there, GC uses Eibach springs which are some of the finest available. Their coilover kit for the Type R does ride pretty rough though for 380 lb. front / 250 lb. rear.

I have driven two other Type Rs, both with the stock suspension. Unfortunately this was daily driver activity only, with no track testing. I agree 100% that the stock suspension is tough to beat. There are however a number of products out there that are a significant improvement over stock for specific applications. The key is to choose your aftermarket products wisely, especially for the Type R ! 8)
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Yeah to get a nice and reliable aftermarket suspension thats better then stock is going to cost a lot of money. Are you willing to deal with that?

If your able to spend the big cash, then go for it.
Tein or Zeal- are top choices from what I hear...

Just remember if you do invest alot of money on the suspension please be sure to tell your ins co that you put in these peices, So your covered in the event of something negative.

Good luck.
swed
supercivicsi
New ITRCA Member

Post by supercivicsi »

i also want to upgrade my suspension but i dont have the money for for tein coilovers. would just getting ground control with tokico shocks make it handle worse. also, what about the spoon springs, they're only $385 and only lower the car about 22 mm. i mean come on, its spoon... how bad can it be, even with stock shocks.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Yikes

Post by Aj »

Well $385 for springs is the biggest rip off I've ever heard, you can pick up a set of H&R or Eibach springs for less than half that, and though spoon may be the shiznit in a lot of stuff, as far as springs go, H&R and Eibach rule the scene. I wouldn't suggest getting ground control anything, they do make a nice set of REAL coilovers, but their spring and ratchet set deal isn't very good, your stock shocks were not meant to be able to be lowred and raised, and your suspension geometry will change every time you rise or lower the car, which means that not only will you have to align it, you'll also have to change the camber and caster. With just srpings, you change it once, and leave it alone, or with real coilovers(tien, H&R, Bilstein, Koni, etc.), that is, threaded struts, rather then threaded sleaves(Ground control, APC, HP, etc.) that go over your factories, you corner weight them once and leave them alone.

Tockico shocks are fine, but I would suggest a set of H&R or eibach springs, rather than ground control, which does use eibach springs, but with those rediculous threaded tube looking deals. In any case, if you're spending over 300 dollars, just save and get a real set of coilovers for like 7-800 bucks.

Good luck, Later!

Aj
TypeRPaul
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeRPaul »

What about Apexi N1 coilover system? pros? con?
01 nbp ITR
-AEM CAI
-Apexi N1 cat-back exaust
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Good system

Post by Aj »

I think it happens to be a good system all around, we have been using it on our CTR race car for about a year and a half now for the SPU category of the SCCA, and have been mopping up the competition. I'd say honestly though, unless you are going to be frequently tracking your car in a competitive road race circuit, that the N1 is a bit over kill for a street car, the world sport from my understanding is very similar but with more streetable valving, and without the upper pillow ball mounts, which you will find unecesary on the street any way.

Hope that helped. Later!!

Aj
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

TEIN SS"s are $1000. Not seen much else cheaper. APex WS's maybe but they are not nearly of the same performance.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

supercivicsi wrote:what real coilovers cost around 700 bucks? i have only seen real coilovers goin for around 1200. whats the cheapest set of real coilovers
Got surf optauto.com I saw a set of tien coilovers and H&R coilovers for an Si for under $800, the tien were $769 and the H&R were like $789, they had them left over, and were on clearance.

Though, most of the coilovers for your car will be in the high $800 range as far as less expensive coilovers. Look into bilstein coilovers, H&R, Apexi, tanabe, and a couple others that make intermediate performance coilovers. Keep in mind, as I said, unless you're planning on tracking it, going over board is not necesary.

Along with a full alignment, you'll have to spend at least a couple hundred dollars on getting it corner wieghted and balanced, and that's assuming you have someone local to you, who has the scales, and know how on how to do it. So keep that in mind as an additional cost to a real set of coilovers, not to mention camber adjustment gear.

Good luck, later!
Aj
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Koni's and Ground Controls is always a good option. Ground Controls with custom rates is an awesome auto-x/track setup. THis is what a lot of budget road racers like the guys in the ECHC run.
TypeRPaul
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeRPaul »

Sorry another question about the Apexi n1 coilovers, my friend has some older ones that have like 2k on them for sale, they are the ones that change the pillow? :?: mount and i was curious what the difference between the new n1 system is cause i could buy his system off him for 500 and the new system is like 3g....is the new system that much different?
01 nbp ITR
-AEM CAI
-Apexi N1 cat-back exaust
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I think shock body material changed from 99 spec to 2k spec.

Get them for $500 they are a good setup and a good deal.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Me Me ME

Post by Aj »

Well if you dont buy em' sell them to me, that's a great deal.

There is almost no difference between the newer and the older ones, they just valve them slightly differently, and painted them a different color.

Later!

Aj