question for AJ

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
phoenixR
New ITRCA Member

question for AJ

Post by phoenixR »

i read in an early post that you got in that intake manifold gasket that supposedly gives whp gains. did you ever install it? and if so who made makes it and how did it work? i know spoon makes an expensive one that they say makes like 6-9 whp.
Also what kind of intake manifold do you use , and what about a throttle body? let me know please i am def interested in how that turned out.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

The gasket you read about was the Hondata intake manifold gasket, I'm assuming, as I did install it, but honestly hadn't noticed any gains, though I have yet to be back to the dyno. As far as the Spoon Ventuli plate that you are reffering to, it was designed for a B16 originally in order to compensate for the lack of torque and HP with regards to the 1.8L motors. And, actually, if you reads spoon's web site, it says that the gasket isn't necesary for a B18 due to it's increased torque output over the B16...

ie. another good waste of money if you want another thing that is made by Spoon on your motor. As far as actual power gains with it, it is conceivable that you might get some power out of it, but for over $300 you could spend it a lot more wisely, and probably get a lot more HP than you would with that gasket.

The gasket from Hondata is $60, just by comparison, it's a much more worth while investment, especially as it's reusable. When I get to the Dyno, I'll let you know how much HP it made...

As far as TB and intake manifold goes, the best way to go in my opinion would be the deal King motorsports has going, for about three and change including shipping, they'll bore out your TB to 66mm and put in a new butterfly, in addition to matching your intake manifold to the new TB, and if you send them a gasket, they'll do that too. All that for less than the price of just an aftermarket TB, is definitely worth while, plus you retain your factory TB. If it's something that interests you, look on their website at Kingmotorsports, and go under the products link, and click on the King Motorsports products, and it's one of only like two or three things they offer on their web page.

Later,
Aj