smaller key

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

smaller key

Post by fredtoast »

Is there anyplace that I can get a smaller key for my ITR. Some guy in a parking lot thought that I was pulling a knife on him last night.
98-0658
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

The reason the key is larger than a normal key is that there's a microchip inside that works with the engine's immobilizer. I haven't seen a smaller version... all Acuras use that same key.

Tell the guy he's a retard for thinking you were pulling out a 3-inch knife :o
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

LOL

Post by Type R 98 »

that is a heck of a scared bitch and non-the-less real dumbass... can you say paranoid?
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

LOL

Post by Type R 98 »

BTW Type R's only get the chip in 99 and up, my 98 cost's 6.00$ to get a copy at acura, while the chipped ones are more expensive
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Yeah, $75 expensive... wtf?? :x
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

here it was 60 canadian plus tax
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

The reason why its 75 per key is due to the fact that they have to reprog the ECU to accept new keys and to also prog a key.

I bet when you take it to the dealer they will ask for all the keys to make just one.

Atleast they are suposed to cause if the programmer screws up it could delete some keys off the ecu and then you would have a key or two that might not work. They should check each key when they are done prog the new one.
swed
TypeRPinoY
New ITRCA Member

Re: smaller key

Post by TypeRPinoY »

fredtoast wrote:Is there anyplace that I can get a smaller key for my ITR. Some guy in a parking lot thought that I was pulling a knife on him last night.
thats one of the funniest things ive ever heard...u shouldve taken his money.. hahaha jk
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

bbasso wrote:The reason why its 75 per key is due to the fact that they have to reprog the ECU to accept new keys and to also prog a key.

I bet when you take it to the dealer they will ask for all the keys to make just one.

Atleast they are suposed to cause if the programmer screws up it could delete some keys off the ecu and then you would have a key or two that might not work. They should check each key when they are done prog the new one.
I don't believe that's right. When I bought my ITR used at an Acura dealership, it only included one key. I wanted a spare set and they went ahead and took my VIN # and cut me a key on the spot; the key worked fine.
TypeR00_0371
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR00_0371 »

I don't believe that's right. When I bought my ITR used at an Acura dealership, it only included one key. I wanted a spare set and they went ahead and took my VIN # and cut me a key on the spot; the key worked fine.
You should get TWO chipped keys, and one (grey) blank that opens all doors, but doesn't open the glove box, or allow the ignition to engage.

If you got one, then that means that somebody might have a key to your car....

hmmmmmm?
Stop Whining!!