falken azenis

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
phoenixR
New ITRCA Member

falken azenis

Post by phoenixR »

did any of you try using the falken azenis with your stock wheels. the falkens only come in 205/50. was the ride any better/worse, or was there almost no difference at all?
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

grip better.

ride a little hareder due to sidewal.
oops-Chris93Si
New ITRCA Member

Post by oops-Chris93Si »

205/50's will fit fine on the stock wheels. Great tires, you'll love them for sure!
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Best bang for the buck tire out there.
Nimbus
New ITRCA Member

Post by Nimbus »

B2FiNiTY wrote:Best bang for the buck tire out there.
Definitely!
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

To those with 205 Azenis on stock wheels... do you find they are "sloppier" than stock wheels due to the bigger width? Does this go away after putting some miles on them?
CW 98 #805
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

Champ R wrote:To those with 205 Azenis on stock wheels... do you find they are "sloppier" than stock wheels due to the bigger width? Does this go away after putting some miles on them?
I did'nt find that they are "sloppier", now sticky-yes.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

What do you mean by "sloppier"? How are tires sloppy?
2001gsr
New ITRCA Member

Post by 2001gsr »

I'm guessing Champ R is asking if there's more "play" in the steering feel with the wider Azenis. I noticed a bit more "slop" with the Azenis in the 205 size, but got used to it/went away after scrubbing them a bit.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

JDMITR98 wrote: I did'nt find that they are "sloppier", now sticky-yes.
same here
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

I'll have to chime in and disagree. I find the Azenis much less precise than the RE010's and the SP8000's I had on my R on the stock rims. They exhibited the most roll, had the least responsive steering, and inspired the least confidence of those three tires. Ride was also the noisiest of the bunch. While grip was the highest, I enjoyed my R the least with these tires. The RE010's are still my favorite by a big margin.

I personally do not recommend this as a daily driver tire. It has great grip, but has poor steering response on stock width rims, is very noisey, and has poorer treadwear than even the RE010's. There are better choices for daily driven ITR with stock wheels IMO.
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

TypeR 801 wrote:I'll have to chime in and disagree. I find the Azenis much less precise than the RE010's and the SP8000's I had on my R on the stock rims. They exhibited the most roll, had the least responsive steering, and inspired the least confidence of those three tires. Ride was also the noisiest of the bunch. While grip was the highest, I enjoyed my R the least with these tires. The RE010's are still my favorite by a big margin.

I personally do not recommend this as a daily driver tire. It has great grip, but has poor steering response on stock width rims, is very noisey, and has poorer treadwear than even the RE010's. There are better choices for daily driven ITR with stock wheels IMO.
You truly think sft sidewalled Dunslops have better feel in turns than an Azenis?

I have yet to feel a measurable difference in response betyween an RE010 and an Azenis and in lateral grip the Azenis kicks ass.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

I think many on here and other boards have said repeatedly to not use the Falken Azenis as a daily drive tire. They have no all-season capability and yes, they wear quickly... they're designed for racing applications and anyone getting them should wrap them around a seperate set of rims from your daily drive.
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

Absolutely! I've driven the R on all three street tires in both daily driving and autocross situations. In addition, I've had Kumho's and BFG R compound tires too. The Azenis had the poorest steering response of all, hands down. I even recognize, the SP8K's were softer than the RE010's, but still not as soft as the Azenis. In lateral grip, they're probably superior to the RE010's which had great feel, but lacked utlimate grip. The RE010's reacted most like the 205 G-force R1, but without the high grip level. The Azenis, more like the 225 V700 stuffed onto a 6 in rim. Slop for a while, then hold on because there's tons of grip.

I also co-drove a Type R at Nats this year. The owner (StageOne) has the RE010's on the stock wheels we drove out on and the Azenis on the race wheels we won on. In changing tires back and forth, he mentioned there was an obvious difference in the steering responsiveness between the Azenis and the RE010's and was amazed how much better the OEM tires felt and how razor sharp the car was with them on. I'm obviously not alone in my sentiment.

If you're looking to squeeze the Azenis onto 6in wide wheels don't expect the cat-like reflexes of the R to remain, they will be dulled somewhat.
Trey wrote:
You truly think sft sidewalled Dunslops have better feel in turns than an Azenis?

I have yet to feel a measurable difference in response betyween an RE010 and an Azenis and in lateral grip the Azenis kicks ass.
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

TypeR 801 wrote:Absolutely! I've driven the R on all three street tires in both daily driving and autocross situations. In addition, I've had Kumho's and BFG R compound tires too. The Azenis had the poorest steering response of all, hands down. I even recognize, the SP8K's were softer than the RE010's, but still not as soft as the Azenis. In lateral grip, they're probably superior to the RE010's which had great feel, but lacked utlimate grip. The RE010's reacted most like the 205 G-force R1, but without the high grip level. The Azenis, more like the 225 V700 stuffed onto a 6 in rim. Slop for a while, then hold on because there's tons of grip.

I also co-drove a Type R at Nats this year. The owner (StageOne) has the RE010's on the stock wheels we drove out on and the Azenis on the race wheels we won on. In changing tires back and forth, he mentioned there was an obvious difference in the steering responsiveness between the Azenis and the RE010's and was amazed how much better the OEM tires felt and how razor sharp the car was with them on. I'm obviously not alone in my sentiment.

If you're looking to squeeze the Azenis onto 6in wide wheels don't expect the cat-like reflexes of the R to remain, they will be dulled somewhat.
Trey wrote:

I have heard the sentiments before buyt I just don't feel a measurable difference in response enough to consider it a detriment and the grip seems to out weigh that. I personally didn't like the RE010's at all and Liked RE730's better.

All this said 6" wide wheel is by no means ideal. In a perfect world i would ahve a 15x7 with 205/50 azenis.

Trey
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Hear, hear! Our stock rims are definitely an inch too narrow =\
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

I just bought a set of rotas (15x6.5) and the azenis feel so much better on them then stock wheels. The crisp percise feel has come back to the car and with all the huge amount of grip that the Azenis are known for.

Yes stock wheels are best with RE010s but azenis do need a half inch or inch more to feel "right"
Last edited by Bbasso on March 9th, 2003, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
swed
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

fwiw - I drove the azenis at last years expo, 1 autocross, and a single day event at Heartland Park road course + ~12,000 miles of street driving.

I took ~4 seconds off my lap time w/azenis on stock rims versus the reo10's at Heartland Park. I'll give up a smidge of "razor sharp turn-in" for equal tread life, faster lap times, and $250 extra left in my pocket compared to buying the freakin stock bridgestones :D

Oh yea - I will be driving at this years expo on 15x7" + azenis :lol:
Bowdwn
ITRCA Member

Post by Bowdwn »

for the price cant beat i love em....