Q about vin numbers

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
bridgework1812
New ITRCA Member

Q about vin numbers

Post by bridgework1812 »

I'm planning on buying a JDM ITR engine, and the importer told me that they do not come with vin numbers in japan. Is this true or is he trying to sell me a stolen engine?

Also, any other infor you think that would be pertinant please post.
I cant afford the whole car so i'm just getting the engine!

Thanks for your help
bridgework1812
New ITRCA Member

Post by bridgework1812 »

also, its out of a 98(he says) does that have the imobolizer on the ecu?

thanks again
bridgework1812
New ITRCA Member

Post by bridgework1812 »

damn, no reply's............

and i thought someone here would know the answer.

guess i was wrong
bridgework1812
New ITRCA Member

Post by bridgework1812 »

Bump yo Bump

ANYONE???????????
bridgework1812
New ITRCA Member

Post by bridgework1812 »

so your silence says, that this woderful site devoted to the sweetest car on the face of the planet, does not contain the answer to my question. With all of the people here and all of your knowledge, no one can help me....

i mean BUMP
nw98typer
New ITRCA Member

Post by nw98typer »

All I can do is guess, but my guess is that there ARE numbers on jdm vehicles/engines.

You might try calling some local shops that import engines for swaps.
Even junkyards that are importing regular used engines would probably be able to tell you if there are id numbers on the engines.

If you're able to inspect the engine before you buy, look to see if it looks like numbers or a plate's been removed or drilled out. If it looks suspicious, use your head and walk away.

I hope this helps.
bridgework1812
New ITRCA Member

Post by bridgework1812 »

i also thought there would be some sort of vin/id number besides the engine code but i wasnt sure

thanks for your help
:)
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

Ask AJ- he would know!
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Yes, there's both a stamp for the block designation and a seperate VIN-type number.

bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

All engines have serial numbers, however not all countries have links between the VI and serial number.
But probably what concerns you the most is if it is stolen or not. the answer is not simple, but it safe to assume that the origins will never be known but at the same time, are untraceable in the US or Canada.
This doesn't mean buying a foreign market stolen motor is OK, but there is no way to check them.
Here in Montreal, the Asian importers bring in containers of JDM motors for swaps but the serial numbers are useless for ID.

Personally, I am against people who do motor swaps with JDM parts, because this can only encourage thieves to keep the supply side up. Needless to say a bash the punks who install knowingly stolen domestic market stuff into their cars. It's a touchy subject however when your business is performance and racing.

Just my opinion.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

Well I don't know to much about this but maybe this can help. I think the reason they don't have VIN's is because if someone in Japan wrecks, the motor is saved they sell it and later trys to say it was stolen you can't be held accountable for it. I don't know. I wouldn't want a VIN on my motor if it's Jap. If I buy it then later someone says it's stolen and try's to put it on me I don't want shit to do with it. I don't know I see both sides but I wouldn't want a VIN on mine. Not that I would ever buy a motor from Jap cuz god only knows what that thing has been through... :?
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

In the case of Japanese motors as well as trannies, they do have vin stickers as well as serial/production stamps, the reason why frequently the motors that are sold in the US coming over from Japan don't seem to have them, is for several reasons, first of, in the US they use metal stamps held in place by threaded rivets, or thermo adhesive stickers for vin numbers, where in japan, until very recently, they used a lower cost plastic composite sticker, that tended to either fall off or wear away, all the way until 99' I believe, and even then, I think it was only on the ITR in 99'. After that I think they switched all of em' in Japan to our system. The reason behind it is, in the US, VIN numbers are filed with the DMV for tax purposes and other governmental functions, so they are important, where in Japan, they use permit decals, which are numbered, which have the same basic use of our vin numbers here. I actually see people selling the permits on Ebay all the time for some pretty big $$$, apparently they're almost as hard to get in Japan unused as they are here.

If you're buying a japanese motor stateside and it doesn't have a vin, don't be surprised, and realistically, don't worry about it, for the most part, even the most reputable online companies don't even know where half their motors come from, they just get a huge crate with a lot of stuff in it, most of which they can't read...

The important thing here is that the motor works and is in good condition. Things to look for:

1. Make sure the head is stamped PR3-? depending on what year, the question mark could be a couple things, the newer ones are a 4.

2. Make sure the block is stamped B18C5, as no matter what year and where it's from, all ITR motors are stamped with that designation.

3. If he lets you, or that is if it's local to you, pull of the valve cover and give the retainers a good tug on each to make sure all the valves are there, and if you really want to go nutty, pull of the 22 or so oil pan bolts and check the sleeves for abnormal wear.

Other than that, I'm not sure there's a lot else you can do.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
Aj
ITR97-143
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR97-143 »

Hey AJ not all ITR Motors are Stamped B18c5

USDM are Stamped B18c5
JDM are Stamped B18C witch you have to check because both gsr and type r are Stamped B18c
Euro Are B18C6

For as the B18C goes if the head is off look for pistons marked (P73-OO) usdm will be marked (P73-AO)
also if you can check the Crank buy takeing the oil pan off and the splah shield ect you will find the itr cranks have 4 balacers and the crank is marked with a big R in the casting of the Crank...

Just MY $.02 :wink:
I 8 UR VETTE :)