Get this???

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Get this???

Post by Aj »

Ok, I've given it a pretty fair amount of thought, as, I really at this point can't think of a good answer.

Why do they call a wing, a "spoiler"????

Any one actually know the answer?????

Puzzled,
Aj
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

hahaha because a "spoiler" is a hinged flap on an airplane wing used to regulate lift.......just like it would on a car......
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

ok, yeah fine, I get that part, but it still doesn't make any sense, why call it a spoiler, what's it spoiling?

I still don't get that one. And actually, I think you mean an aeleron(wrong spelling I'm sure), that's the flap on an airplane wing that regulates wind current.

Later,
Aj
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

spoiler because

Post by Type R 98 »

Because rice boys put supra spoilers on their hyundai accents and it spoils there performances...
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870
2XS
New ITRCA Member

Post by 2XS »

no there are other flaps on some planes called spoilers, used to reduce lift.
straights are for fast cars, bends are for fast drivers
RatedX
New ITRCA Member

Post by RatedX »

Why would it even be called a wing? Shouldnt a wing be mounted on the side of a car? Instead of the rear? Shouldnt it be called a fin? LOL

Len
See Ya!!!
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, wing I can understand, as it sorta resembles a wing off of a plane, which resembles the wing on a bird, so I get that parralel. But, I still don't get the whole spoiler thing, even if it is called a spoiler on a plane, how the hell did they come up with that name?????

Later,
Aj
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

2XS wrote:no there are other flaps on some planes called spoilers, used to reduce lift.
Thank you...thats why it's called a spoiler
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

What I'm asking is, how did that name originate? In otherwords, why did they call it a spoiler on a plane, because it spoils the lift????

What ever, I give up....
Aj
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I posted the definition str8 from the dictonary....haha :lol: who knows how it came about.
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

I believe they came up with spoiler for the reason it "spoils the airflow over a wing. Spoilers are located aft of a leading edge flap to increase drag and slow the aircraft down. Asssetially(sp?) it is a speed brake. How they relate that to a car, I have no idea. Infact I don't know if the spoilers came on cars or planes first. Think back to the days when they had little 3 in spoilers on trunks. However, just clarifying what aeronautical spoilers do. as for aleirons, They control roll among the horizontol axis, flaps control roll among the vertical axis along with the rudder. Lift is produced by the curveture of the wing and the airspeed(engine). The curve is normally lift compatable, assisted with the flap and leading edge flaps. Sorry to bore you but I am a f-16 crew chief in the air force, studying aeronautical engineering, and working on my pilots license. O ya "spoilers" are also known as slats! :wink:
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Now own slow 4L 99 Jeep Grand Cheerokee Ltd.
Will have another ITR (if some one will buy my Jeep)
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Interesting...