HANDLING ADVISE PLEASE

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
2KBLKTYPER
New ITRCA Member

HANDLING ADVISE PLEASE

Post by 2KBLKTYPER »

Im noticing alot of sway whenever I hit a long sweeping turns. How can I correct this problem? Thicker sway bar? c-pillar bar? Strut bar? OR all of the above? Any recommendations?

I only want to do this once, so im willing to pay money for a good product.

I'm also experiencing my rear end drifting whenever I hit a 90 degree turns at a certain speed. But maybe I should slow down a bit more to fix that problem :roll:

I dont want all this crazy bars all over the car, but if thats what it takes to correct my problem so be it...
2000 ACURA ITR
2004 AUDI S4 V8
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

From a track perspective, often 'sway' is really not braking at the proper time. You can spend alot of money with stiffer springs, or adding a bigger rear sway bar for more rotation, but driving can cure much of it.

If you are concerned about the street - SLOW DOWN. There shouldn't be any issue with the stock suspension & 'sway' on a street corner.

Just my .02 :)
2KBLKTYPER
New ITRCA Member

Post by 2KBLKTYPER »

BudMan wrote:From a track perspective, often 'sway' is really not braking at the proper time. You can spend alot of money with stiffer springs, or adding a bigger rear sway bar for more rotation, but driving can cure much of it.

If you are concerned about the street - SLOW DOWN. There shouldn't be any issue with the stock suspension & 'sway' on a street corner.

Just my .02 :)

I'm aware of that... I'm more concerned about the sway from hitting long sweeping turns..The car tend to be loose around those turns at high speeds. Other than that, the cars handles just fine... :wink:
2000 ACURA ITR
2004 AUDI S4 V8
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

2KBLKTYPER wrote: I'm aware of that... I'm more concerned about the sway from hitting long sweeping turns..The car tend to be loose around those turns at high speeds. Other than that, the cars handles just fine... :wink:
"Loose" and "sway" are really 2 different issues. "Loose" is typically the rear-end of the car wanting to swing around to the front before you are ready for it. Typically, this experience would happen on a sweeper turn and this can be VERY dangerous if throttle lift occurs. This can be good if you are trying to trail-brake around the last corner @ HPT before the longest straight...

"Sway" is typically referred to when the front suspension is dipping or diving down hard as you enter a turn and would be experienced more on a sharp turn than a sweeper. Sway is also the first step in "understeer" which means the car wants to go straight even with the wheel turned...slowing down or "loosening" up the car (by changing air pressure) are the only 2 simple options. Shocks/springs that are adjustable are the expensive options.[/b]
Chris N
Site Admin

Re: HANDLING ADVISE PLEASE

Post by Chris N »

2KBLKTYPER wrote:Im noticing alot of sway whenever I hit a long sweeping turns. How can I correct this problem? Thicker sway bar? c-pillar bar? Strut bar? OR all of the above? Any recommendations?

I only want to do this once, so im willing to pay money for a good product.

I'm also experiencing my rear end drifting whenever I hit a 90 degree turns at a certain speed. But maybe I should slow down a bit more to fix that problem :roll:

I dont want all this crazy bars all over the car, but if thats what it takes to correct my problem so be it...
90 degree turns - unsmooth, uneven surface.

sway? how fast are you going? what kinda of 'sway'? Do you mean 'body roll'?

There is no 'fix' that allows you to buy one part to take care of this.

It may be your driving style. It may be that you are on bad pavement and should slow down. It may be crappy tires, it may be a lot of things. But I'd be inclined to agree with Jim, if the weight of your car is on the wrong wheels because of how you brake, this could be a problem too.

edit - if you mean 'loose'. try lowering your rear tire pressures.

i would not invest in aftermarket parts until you are sure its not your driving.

if this is the street you should consider slowing down and being responsible. there are places to determine how your car handles and this is not one of them. Regardless of whether or not others are on the road or nearby at the time.
2KBLKTYPER
New ITRCA Member

Re: HANDLING ADVISE PLEASE

Post by 2KBLKTYPER »

Chris N wrote:[
Do you mean 'body roll'?
I guess body roll is the correct term for it...

and as for drifting, I ment to say understeer...

I'll check the tire pressure, play around with it & see how it goes...
2000 ACURA ITR
2004 AUDI S4 V8
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

You were talking about the "rear end drifting" (oversteer) but now you say meant understeer? Im confused.

Also, where are you driving this way at? You really shouldnt be in a position to experience over or understeer on the street typically. If you are autocrossing or on track, with a bit of clarification we might can help you.

As far as the items you mentioned, a sway bar will have a much more dramatic effect on handling that a strut or pillar bar. But as others have said, I would not monkey around with anything until you are sure what is going on and what you want to improve/change.
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
2KBLKTYPER
New ITRCA Member

Post by 2KBLKTYPER »

jetydosa wrote:You were talking about the "rear end drifting" (oversteer) but now you say meant understeer? Im confused.

Also, where are you driving this way at? You really shouldnt be in a position to experience over or understeer on the street typically. If you are autocrossing or on track, with a bit of clarification we might can help you.

As far as the items you mentioned, a sway bar will have a much more dramatic effect on handling that a strut or pillar bar. But as others have said, I would not monkey around with anything until you are sure what is going on and what you want to improve/change.
after reading up the difference between understeer & oversteer..I'm definitely experiencing understeer... I grew up with muscle cars, so excuse my ignorance. :oops:
2000 ACURA ITR
2004 AUDI S4 V8