the bast way to clean your engine?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
SanjayR
New ITRCA Member

the bast way to clean your engine?

Post by SanjayR »

what do you all use to clean your engines and what should and should you not spray. I was thinking of that simple green stuff, but theres a lot of crap out there. What do you all do?
TYPE R
dtzvtec
New ITRCA Member

Post by dtzvtec »

whatever you do leave the car running when you spray the motor with anything and give it time to dry running.
Cosworth
New ITRCA Member

Post by Cosworth »

I would cover the following for sure:

1. Distributor
2. Battery
Sean
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

dtzvtec wrote:whatever you do leave the car running when you spray the motor with anything and give it time to dry running.
THis works for me. I used a pressure washer. Don't spray at the distrbutor either.
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

I use Griots Garage Engine Cleaner - it's easy to use and very effective. I really like their products; use the cleaners, waxes, etc. and have been extremely satisfied with everything. Their interior cleaner and wheel cleaner are also excellent.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Cover your battery (ESPECIALLY the terminals) and your distributor, spray the bay down with some Simple Green and use a low-pressure spray to finish.
MixMasterMike
New ITRCA Member

Post by MixMasterMike »

hey what about taking it to get it steam cleaned??? do people still do that?
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Waste of time/money if you're keeping your engine running and the block is warmed up, IMO.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

well what I use is some good cloth gloves..that way you can get you hands way down there vs a reg that doesn't fit in them hard to get places.... :lol:
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

To clean your valve cover the best thing is silicon spray, it works wonders, it's what the acura dealer local to me uses...

As far as spraying it down with water, you should also, in addition to all the stuff the guys already said cover your map sensor, and make sure you don't get water in your spark plug holes if you can.

I'd go with trey's idea of pressure washer, just be careful that you don't break anything, as they are pretty powerful ussualy.

Good luck,
Aj
ITR862
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR862 »

I just go to the carwash and leave my car running. I first spray it with the spot free since it is lightly sprayed. Then I just use the engine degreaser at the car wash and rince with spot free rinse. I only do it on most of the engine. On the battery and distributer I just wipe them down with a wet rag and that works fine for me.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Just don't touch the black connector and the red connector at the same time :lol:
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Simple and easy to keep the engine bay clean. Just spray simple green all over and brush the stubborn areas then rinse well. I do this every other time I wash the car. and people think I detail my motor...
swed
TypeR00_0371
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR00_0371 »

just pop the hood everytime you wash your car, and shammy everything down.... Not trying to brag, but I need to post pics of my engine bay.... Preventive Cleaning Rules...
Stop Whining!!
ITR #454 2001
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR #454 2001 »

anyone know what gets oil and other crap off the valve cover??? I tried to polish up the vtec and dohc area and the metal polish got on the valve cover. made it look kind of off. Was wondering if simple green works. and as for that silicon stuff mentioned above...does anyone know a brand name and where to get it from??
TypeR00_0371
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR00_0371 »

409 works pretty good
Stop Whining!!
nanertyper
New ITRCA Member

Post by nanertyper »

gunk works :D