Suggestions for MODS?? Help me out guys! :o)

Discuss national (except for the ITR Expo), regional and local events and meets here.
JLS_ITR'01
New ITRCA Member

Suggestions for MODS?? Help me out guys! :o)

Post by JLS_ITR'01 »

Hey guys.... Not a whole lotta people around here?

Had question y'all might be able to give me some good suggestions ...

IYO what would be the least expensive yet best quality

I/H/E & possibly suspension to drop ym ITR? I've talked to a bunch of people who own GSR's & LS, RS etc...... & prior to the R I had a GSR, that I have parts for.,... BUt I thought I would get some suggestions from ITR "experts" :wink:
For parts & suggestions as to what to & what not to do with my ITR...

Thanks guys......
:D Jenn
Crazy not stupid......;0)
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Well, it depends. Do you want to just show off the R or do you want to race her? If so, drag strip (BLASPHEMY!) or track duty?

Honestly, other than maybe a Comptech Ice Box and a header-back exhaust (throw in a VAFC for tuning purposes) the best money spent on your ITR will be performance driving lessons. Learning how to drive your car properly will be the most enjoyable experience you can have with the car by far :D
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

You wouldn't need a VAFC at all till you start messing with cams or forced induction and need to tune your fuel. I would do a AEM CAI if your going all motor. Thats the best bang for your buck and I think everyone on here will agree. Then I would look into a good header(spoon/Mugen or if moneys a lil tight JDM or comptech) I wouldn't do exhaust right now till you get more engnie work. The stock system flows just fine. As far as lowering the car thats a touchy subject. You can't just throw any coilovers on there. The car comes with a highly tuned/balanced suspension system. If your like me though, you want it to still preform good but don't like the stock high. This is somewhere I wouldn't cut corners on and I would go all out and get a good coilover system (Tein/Apexi). Hope that helps you get started. Your doing the right thing and asking before you just do something. Don't even take what I say as the last work. Keep asking around till you feel you are buying the right part. Another good web site to learn thing is http://www.honda-tech.com those guys know what they are taking about. Don't go on there and ask "whats the best heder" or something like that cuz you'll get flamed but do a search and you'll find 1000's of answers and debts and you be the judge which part best fits you and your car. Good luck and welcome to the high RPM life style.... :lol:
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

You'd be surprised at the noticeable gains you can achieve by leaning out your fuel mixture once you get a header-back exhaust system ;) Comptech Ice Box will give you the same, if not better, gains as the AEM cold-air while not sucking up water through the open-air filter and into your engine. Unless you wanna cut the pipe to install a bypass valve :?

But yes, you will definitely need them once you start with a normally-aspirated build-up. Seriously though, enjoy your car stock for awhile and then start researching on here and honda-tech.com until you can make an informed decision as to where you want to go with your car. I'm still in the enjoying my car as bone stock stage but I'll be ready to do some mods soon ;)
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

Just some info on the AEM I had it on my car for over 2 years and never "sucked up water" you need to put the car completly underwater to suck water up. If you do that you shouldn't be driven a car....you need a boat.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

That's a myth. Before the ITR, I had a 2001 Eclipse GT in which I installed an AEM cold-air intake. I lucked out in that AEM had made the Eclipse's intake as two pieces for warm-air conversion or you could put a bypass filter in between. I thank God for that design as otherwise I might have been reluctant to cut the pipe to install the bypass valve. But I didn't so I went ahead and installed one.

Anyways, last May we had a downpour in Irving, TX where I live and I hit a section of street that normally isn't known for much standing water, but today it was raining *hard* and that left about 3 or 4 inches of standing water. My lowered Eclipse (only 1.5" mind you) hit that submerged section and halfway through it, my engine started sputtering and then she died. I was SCARED! I went ahead and let the water flow back down my intake and started the car again. She died one more time at the next intersection but luckily it was a red light and I left my engine off until it turned green. Car started back up and I didn't have any more problems with her the rest of the day up until the day I traded her in for the ITR. Bypass valve saved my engine.

And before you say my filter was completely snorkeled, that's not true. I wouldn't have been able to start the car and drive out of the standing water otherwise. I've learned my lesson since then :)
ITRacer121
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRacer121 »

one of my friends hydro locked his engine a couple of months ago!
I promise it is not something you can avoid unless you just dont run a cold air designed like AEM. but to each his own. I used to have one but traded for comptech so I dont have to worry about stuff like that anymore :lol:
as for exhaust I love my comptech! it is very good quality and I like the way it fits, so I dont have to worry about scraping. I have herd good about other companies such as HYTECH. I have seen the MUGEN and didnt really care for it but hey make your own mind.
as for suspension, it is all for what your into. I road race and autoX frequently as well as some street driving on my eibach pro-kit and tokicko 5 ways. I like them alot!
I have herd the TIENS dont do well in autoX or on a road course\, but dont really have any experience?
GOOD LUCK
txhatch
New ITRCA Member

Post by txhatch »

ITRacer121 wrote: I have herd the TIENS dont do well in autoX or on a road course\, but dont really have any experience?
GOOD LUCK
People were probably talking about the ss/ha's. But the other teins are pretty nice.
ITRacer121
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRacer121 »

thats kind of funny b/c the tien SS are supposed to made for track and race use only! :?
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

JLS_ITR'01, why not just enjoy your ITR bone stock for now? Like I mentioned before, if you're interested in the getting the most out of your car or just enjoy racing, invest in some advanced driving lessons provided by your local track, AutoX sponsor or an official school like Skip Barber.

Get a feel for your car first, then decide what mods would be beneficial to you ;)
ITRacer121
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRacer121 »

I like what is posted above but it is part of the fun to see what kind of improvements :) you can make on your car
txhatch
New ITRCA Member

Post by txhatch »

ITRacer121 wrote:thats kind of funny b/c the tien SS are supposed to made for track and race use only! :?
The tein ss are not for track and race use only. They are supposed to be the weekend warrior coilover, with daily driving comfort. They arent that great for performance though. They are more of a "bling bling" drop for show coilover.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Yeah, I'd get the Tein RA but they're a bit harsh for a daily driver. I'm probably going to go with the Tein FLEX for comfort. Screw you bishes if you think the FLEX is too soft :P
ITRacer121
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRacer121 »

if your spendding the cash for Teins why not get the buddy clubs they have they same feature but come with 2 types of LCA mounts (so if you sell your car and want to put them one something else or sell them it will be easier) and they come with camber plates on the front
ITR 98 1162
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR 98 1162 »

NOS is the best mod I've made yet :D .
ITRacer121
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRacer121 »

Joey stop being GAY
you know ur all about the neons :?
ITR 98 1162
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR 98 1162 »

You know you want my bright red neons to match your red Comptech lower tie bar.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Are you kidding me? NOS and red neons? Why didn't you just buy an EG hatch instead? :lol:
ITR 98 1162
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR 98 1162 »

I would, but think the 19" Niche's look better on an R. It would look wayyy to funny if I had them on a hatch.
Cody Smith
New ITRCA Member

Post by Cody Smith »

You guys need to stop screwing around. You are insulting all the COOL mods I had planned. Plus we don't want to mislead the newby.
ITRacer121
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRacer121 »

the only real NEWBY here is you COdy! haha
Spermy2000R
New ITRCA Member

Post by Spermy2000R »

so far all i have done for all i have added for suspension is a set of TANABE GF210 springs. They are incredable. If you want to check them out let me know. I live in the Denver area.
Mustangs are Like Tampons. Every Pussy Has One.