paint bubbling :(

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
itr2006
New ITRCA Member

paint bubbling :(

Post by itr2006 »

Just finish washing my car before i store it for winter. While i was wiping it to dry, i saw a few paint bubbling. 10 minutes after, i saw a few more paint bubbling in the same area. WHY??? helps, i dont understand why the paint is bubbling
walker111
Post Whore!!

Re: paint bubbling :(

Post by walker111 »

itr2006 wrote:Just finish washing my car before i store it for winter. While i was wiping it to dry, i saw a few paint bubbling. 10 minutes after, i saw a few more paint bubbling in the same area. WHY??? helps, i dont understand why the paint is bubbling
Post a picture.
itr2006
New ITRCA Member

Re: paint bubbling :(

Post by itr2006 »

walker111 wrote:
itr2006 wrote:Just finish washing my car before i store it for winter. While i was wiping it to dry, i saw a few paint bubbling. 10 minutes after, i saw a few more paint bubbling in the same area. WHY??? helps, i dont understand why the paint is bubbling
Post a picture.
i will as soon as it stop raining
naDC2R
ITRCA Member

Post by naDC2R »

same thing happend to my old 94 accord on the rear quarter panels,i washed it one day at the car wash, with the high pressure water/soap, and all of a sudden i had all these bubbles forming....to make this short....u have rust coming from the inside to the outside....if u pop one of those bubbles, u will see rust behind there.

I hope this is not what happend in your case, id hate to see an ITR forming rust!
96 Spec R
Major_Wolf
ITRCA Member

Post by Major_Wolf »

:(

You are not lucky

what's the color of your itr?
itr2006
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2006 »

naDC2R wrote:same thing happend to my old 94 accord on the rear quarter panels,i washed it one day at the car wash, with the high pressure water/soap, and all of a sudden i had all these bubbles forming....to make this short....u have rust coming from the inside to the outside....if u pop one of those bubbles, u will see rust behind there.

I hope this is not what happend in your case, id hate to see an ITR forming rust!
That was exactly what I did to my car. Took it to a car wash using a high prssure water/soap and so on.......What i dont get is that this ITR is always garage kept since i bought it. This is going to cost me a lot of money :(
itr2006
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2006 »

Major_Wolf wrote::(

You are not lucky

what's the color of your itr?
white...is this common to an itr???
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

If it's happening on the rear quarter panels, my guess would be that you still have the rear wheel well plastic in. What happens is salt and such get trapped between that wheel well and the body of the car causing it to rust from the inside it. This is not only limited to ITR's or Honda's for that matter. If you drive/live in an area where they use salt, your better off not having the wheel well in there.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

Dave_B wrote:If it's happening on the rear quarter panels, my guess would be that you still have the rear wheel well plastic in. What happens is salt and such get trapped between that wheel well and the body of the car causing it to rust from the inside it. This is not only limited to ITR's or Honda's for that matter. If you drive/live in an area where they use salt, your better off not having the wheel well in there.
x2
naDC2R
ITRCA Member

Post by naDC2R »

Dave_B wrote:If it's happening on the rear quarter panels, my guess would be that you still have the rear wheel well plastic in. What happens is salt and such get trapped between that wheel well and the body of the car causing it to rust from the inside it. This is not only limited to ITR's or Honda's for that matter. If you drive/live in an area where they use salt, your better off not having the wheel well in there.
thats very UNlikely if he says he stores his car during the winter months..therefore no salt would get in those places.
96 Spec R
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

naDC2R wrote:
thats very UNlikely if he says he stores his car during the winter months..therefore no salt would get in those places.
But water and dirt would. It doesnt have to be salt to make something rust. :wink:
Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds
Post Whore!!

Post by Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds »

naDC2R wrote: thats very UNlikely if he says he stores his car during the winter months..therefore no salt would get in those places.
You've got to look at where he lives too.
Vancouver is one of the wettest climates in Canada. Plus it's coastal so there's always a hint of salt in the air to make matters worse.

He may not drive it in the snow, but I'm betting he drives it in the rain. That's all it takes for rust to form on bare metal.
itr2006
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2006 »

Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds wrote:
naDC2R wrote: thats very UNlikely if he says he stores his car during the winter months..therefore no salt would get in those places.
You've got to look at where he lives too.
Vancouver is one of the wettest climates in Canada. Plus it's coastal so there's always a hint of salt in the air to make matters worse.

He may not drive it in the snow, but I'm betting he drives it in the rain. That's all it takes for rust to form on bare metal.
I drove it several times in the rain but i dont think enough to form rust. Oh well, damage is done. Any suggestion what i should do?? im thinking of getting that under coating after i repaint it
Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds
Post Whore!!

Post by Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds »

itr2006 wrote: I drove it several times in the rain but i dont think enough to form rust. Oh well, damage is done. Any suggestion what i should do?? im thinking of getting that under coating after i repaint it
It only takes one time in the rain to get rust starting. As long as you have bare metal showing, it can happen. Plus it's really damp where you live, so that doesn't help.
So where is the rust on the car? If it's by the wheelwell, take out the factory liners like Jim and Dave mentioned above. Yes, you should get the undercoating.

As far as fixing it goes, you'll need to take it to a good body shop, I imagine. I have no idea how to go about fixing that issue, I've never had it happen to me before.... it sounds like it's already eaten through the metal from the inside out, in which case it'll be harder to fix than just sanding, treating and repainting. But if you post a pic someone else here may be able to help you better.
Best of luck.
itr2006
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2006 »

Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds wrote:
itr2006 wrote: I drove it several times in the rain but i dont think enough to form rust. Oh well, damage is done. Any suggestion what i should do?? im thinking of getting that under coating after i repaint it
It only takes one time in the rain to get rust starting. As long as you have bare metal showing, it can happen. Plus it's really damp where you live, so that doesn't help.
So where is the rust on the car? If it's by the wheelwell, take out the factory liners like Jim and Dave mentioned above. Yes, you should get the undercoating.

As far as fixing it goes, you'll need to take it to a good body shop, I imagine. I have no idea how to go about fixing that issue, I've never had it happen to me before.... it sounds like it's already eaten through the metal from the inside out, in which case it'll be harder to fix than just sanding, treating and repainting. But if you post a pic someone else here may be able to help you better.
Best of luck.

I will try my best to post some pictures this weekend. Im not sure if gonna pop the bubble, not till next summer anyways or money to do re-paint. Or should i?? this really sux....thanks for all the info and support you guys. I hope this won't happen to your itr
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

Just get us a good pic of the "bubble"