Anyone reving 9K+ rpm??

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Anyone reving 9K+ rpm??

Post by Aj »

Well, I seem to be having a problem, that I really just can't figure out. It's a tranny issue, no matter what I do, when shifting above like 8800, when I pull it out of gear, it makes a weird sort of hissing noise, and the last time I heard that noise, it cost me a new tranny. And now my fifth gear is starting to grind, and the tranny is less than a month or two old, so I know its not me.... I think it may be a bad mainshaft bearing, but not sure...

Any one else ever get this problem...

On a side note, it didn't start happening till I put it on the dyno, which I'm thinking maybe because now it's putting down so much more power in that higher rpm range?????

Thanks guys,
Aj
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

Man thats your syncro(spell) same thing happend to me on my 5th gear. When you slow down in between shifts like your rpms drop to like 2k it doesn't do it but anyother time it does. If your on warrenty still your good if not :shock: I know I'm not the only one that thats a syncro has gone out on but I have never heard of nor has anyone I ever spoke to heard of it happing in 5th gear. My car has rev'ed as high as 8777rpms(via the VAFC) on a stock ECU with toda springs and stock retainers.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

I rev mine over 9500 regularly when raced, and I understand the syncro is screwed on the 5th gear, but the tranny is only like a month old, and I havn't grinded it yet, what my point was, is that I think something may be causeing the main shaft to move and cause problems, becuase a syncro doesn't just go bad on it's own. But I'm not possitive what the noise is yet, and am trying to figure it out before I take it in for warranty......

Later,
Aj
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

Tell me about it. The only thing I could think fucked my syncro is running it hard till 3rd and then just crusing into 5th. That or my shortshifter...... :cry:
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

I'm gonna go with short shifter on this one, they're notorious for that.....
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I guess I should have spent the 3 bills on the C's huh? Fuck Tenzo.... :lol:
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Nah, it's not the brand. Any time you screw with the geometry of your shift linkage you tend to stand a really good chance of screwing something up.....
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

5th gear grind

Post by Jan Niemi »

Got the same shit. Missed a shift at the strip shifting into 3rd, Skunk shifter, smoked 5th gear synchro. I'm now running the stock shifter. Oh well, gotta pay to play. I still ran a 14.1 that run, got just barely beat by a new 350z, next run, I came back and spanked him and ran a 13.6, he went home with a frown, I went home grinning ear to ear, even with my 5th grinding.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

I hear ya, that's kool, but mine had nothing to do with grinding in any gears, other than grinding second once, I have yet to have any other problems with the tranny on my end, but now it's starting to grind into 5th. It's the wierd noise that worries me, and I can't figure out what's causing it. I think it's a mainshaft bearing, but I don't understand how it went bad so fast.

HELP????????????????

Aj
itr98
New ITRCA Member

Short shifter

Post by itr98 »

Guys tell me why a short shifter is going to damage a tranny.I know that jamming gears is a good way to harm any tranny,Although the physics have not changed,Only the leverage.I have a b&m pro shift on my 98 Jrsc
No problems at all?
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

The longer the distance between the pivot point and the shift joint, the less the actual shift forks inside the tranny move, so they tend often to round off the end of the gears, especially if you beat it up at higher rpm. Though the B&M is pretty good, and assuming you're careful, you should be ok, but if you start to have problems, you'll know what it was from...

Later,
Aj
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

Well now my car is getting stock in 4th and hard to put in reverse. All I have to do is pull up on the shifter a lil and it comes right out. Same for rev. I think it has to do with the shifter it self. I'm gonna lift the car and check it out. I'll keep you guys post if you want...
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
Austin
New ITRCA Member

Post by Austin »

Which fluid are you running in your tranny?

Austin
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Honda MTF, but I think I'm gonna switch back to Mobil1, as when I was running Mobil1, I wasn't having this problem, but given that it was a new tranny, I decided to put what they recomended. Oh well, screw it, time to go and cry warranty.....

Later,
Aj
nanertyper
New ITRCA Member

Post by nanertyper »

how could you even hear anything besides vtec at 9k? i've been reving mine to 9.1k for half a year now, tranny is just as good as when the car was stock. change your tranny fluid, that might help.
TypeR00_0371
New ITRCA Member

Re: Short shifter

Post by TypeR00_0371 »

itr98 wrote:Guys tell me why a short shifter is going to damage a tranny.I know that jamming gears is a good way to harm any tranny,Although the physics have not changed,Only the leverage.I have a b&m pro shift on my 98 Jrsc
No problems at all?
I agree...

My 5th gear syncro got GROUND down @ 18K, Then I realized that I was SLAMMING gears instead of SHIFTING gears. Needless to say, I got it warrantied.... I'm now running a Skunk2 shifter... No problems... smooches third once in a great great while.... I am running the Acura MTF.... I like it
Stop Whining!!
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, to follow up, as the topic seems to have sorta changed...The problem, finally, turned out to be a stetched rod bolt, which turned into a rod through the block, which to say the least, I'm not wild about, but it does give me another project, and an excuse to go 2.17 liter.....hehehe.....any way, just so it doesn't happen to anyone else, it was a strange hissing noise between gears, and:

DON'T BUY EAGLE RODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the unfortunate luck of finding out the hard way that Eagle is not meant for anything short of drag racing, and only for short stints, so as my advice will be from now forward, don't buy anything eagle!!!!!

Later,
Aj
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

what kind of rods u plan on using
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Crower, from my understanding the reason why the eagles broke in the first place is that they use rod bolts that aren't large enough to handle any serious rpm, where as crower uses some really deisel ARP rpd bolts. So hopefully I won't have a problem with these.

Wish me luck.....

Later,
Aj
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

Yes that's what i was thinking of using some guy was trying to push me the eagles for cheap i said no thanx I'd rather spend extra and get the best. Anyways good luck with your crowers.
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, it wasn't the price that appealed to me, it was the weight, they weigh a good deal less than the crower ones, and in an all motor car, weight is crucial. Any way, as I said before, NO ONE BUY EAGLE.....

Later,
Aj