Type R vs WRX

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

Type R vs WRX

Post by Sick TR »

whatz up guys" I don't know about another places(states) but n this town is getting full of wrx's which I don't really care, I trust in my R but they always want to race me. I smok a few already. ( just want to make a commt' -what did you guys think).
Type_R_01_0002
New ITRCA Member

Post by Type_R_01_0002 »

sounds like the wrx invasion is starting in your country, in australia they are everywhere and ramraiders love them.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Wha???

Post by Aj »

What's a "ramraider"?????

Also, don't sweat WRX, they're awefully slow, at least until they boost em' and even then not that fast... oh, yeah, just don't race em' off the line.

Later,
Aj
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

I can see how WRX's could be big down-under, with all the open country and rally flavor. It's definitely a nice car; awd would be nice. I just don't put Subaru quality anywhere near Honda, for one thing, and for another, you're still dealing with Turbo-lag and Turbo reliability. The R is such a nice, complete package, to leave as-is or modify at will. Nobody makes a 4 cylinder like Honda. My '98 R is as tight as a drum, without the slightest hint of a squeak or rattle - I don't think that's a given in a 5 year old Subaru.
blee
New ITRCA Member

Post by blee »

yeah i've ran against 3 different wrxs at the track and was a little surprised. two of them had a claimed 260 hp and i'm bone stock so i thought i'd get left on the straight but, we were totally even. the third one was stock and could slowly pull away on the straights. i think they loose a lot of whp through their drivetrain.

again, they're a lot faster off the line
blee
New ITRCA Member

Post by blee »

i just read what i wrote and it's wrong. " I "was able to slowly pull away from the stock one. :?
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Yeah, not only do they loose a lot of HP through their all wheel drive train, but they also weigh a ton, given that they are four door, and have a good deal of insulation and the wieght of the all wheel drive system isn't helping any. It's all about power to weight ratio.

Later,
Aj
snookerblack7
New ITRCA Member

Post by snookerblack7 »

A ramraider is a person who drives a car through the window of a store, steals some stuff and drives off.. I guess that speaks well for the reliability of the WRX.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Good one!!!!

Post by Aj »

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......that's some really funny shit........thanks for a good laugh!!!!!!

Later,
Aj
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

A WRX will get roasted all day everyday, it's the EVO I'm worried about. :twisted:
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Nah, I wouldn't worry about the EVO, it's such a watered down version of what they have in Japan, it's not much of an issue, the new WRX STi is something to worry about, and the new Neon SRT-4 is also something to worry about. The Lancer has 240 crank hp, then take away all the all-wheel drive train loss and you're not a far cry from the current WRX.

In any case, don't worry about it, just win.....

Later,
Aj
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Not true, the Evo is rated at 271 hp to the crank and 273 lb/ft. of torque
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

Aj wrote:Nah, I wouldn't worry about the EVO, it's such a watered down version of what they have in Japan, it's not much of an issue, the new WRX STi is something to worry about, and the new Neon SRT-4 is also something to worry about. The Lancer has 240 crank hp, then take away all the all-wheel drive train loss and you're not a far cry from the current WRX.

In any case, don't worry about it, just win.....
Yes the WRX STI is a car to worry about 2.5 turbo 300hp 300 lbs/ft but this is just another reason to make the R faster :lol:
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

Post by Sick TR »

but another factor is the weight. Those cars are alot of haevier than the Type R.
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

True but most likely the subaru will still have a better power to weight ratio .
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Yeah, the subaru isn't that much of a pig, plus for the hole shot it has awd....trust me, that'll be a car to watch out for when it comes stateside.

Later,
Aj
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

Yeah, I'm aware of the STi. that's going to blow the socks off of the EVO. Damn! it's a shame they watered down the EVO. :twisted:
snookerblack7
New ITRCA Member

Post by snookerblack7 »

Well.. the EVO isn't that watered down.. 271hp compared to 276hp in Japan/Euro right? Would the active diff and yaw control really make that much of a difference anyway?? But yeah.. the Sti will kick...
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

If you took away the LSD from the ITR, do you think it'd make a difference in its handling? Of course it would. Mitsu did the same thing with the US Evo: They took away the mechanical LSD in the front and put in an open diff, the Active Center Differential is replaced with a less responsive viscous-coupled unit and the rear electronically controlled plate-clutch type LSD is a mechanical unit.

As for the power ratings.. in Japan, she was underrated. She was actually pulling numbers in excess of 300 hp to the crank so we are seeing a significant detune in the US version. Getting a turbo downpipe, hi-flo cat/test pipe and 3" catback should help gain back the losses.

All around, pretty disappointing considering that the Evo's handling characteristics were my chief consideration. Watering down the powertrain components detracts from exactly what the Evo stands for.
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

Kabob you know your stuff! Your right though, there is a gentlemens aggreement among Japanese Cars. no more then 300 HP, but in reality some of those cars produce over 300HP check out the Nissan Skyline which can produce up to 400 without modifying the stock internals! :twisted:

and the Suzuki Aerio that can produce well over 1,000HP(the whole production line)
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Kangbateh wrote: check out the Nissan Skyline which can produce up to 400 without modifying the stock internals! :twisted:
Can anyone say: Supra......

on stock internals they're capable of what, 800whp or some sick number like that....

Later,
Aj
Swift
New ITRCA Member

Post by Swift »

I believe the gentlemen's agreement that Kangbateh talked about only applies to the 4-cylinder engines that stay in Japan.
dug-e-fresh
New ITRCA Member

Post by dug-e-fresh »

The gentlemans agreement applies so that a huge tax/fine wont be charged by the governmnet on ANY car that produces more than the 276 hp value.

PLUS, theres a reason SOOO many cars out of Japan displace JUST under 2000 cc or just under 3000 cc. Think about it...

SR20DET, EJ20K, 4G63, 3SGTE, K20, B18 etc etc etc...

The you have the 3.0 and under 300 zx, 3000GT and Supra....

Fines and taxes are applied for the purchases of such vehicles...

def
'02 WRX
12s @ 107+
Mostly Stock
snookerblack7
New ITRCA Member

Post by snookerblack7 »

I was in Japan recently.. I didn't realize you can still buy a brand new Supra there! I saw a ton of the new ITRs and a few Skylines as well as a lot of cool stuff. It's funny the way the ITR is a Honda over there but a lot of the ITRs that I saw had the front and rear Honda emblems switched to the Acura ones which is opposite of what a lot of kids do over here..
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Yeah, for what ever reason, I guess it's a big fad over there. I actually have traded a whole bunch of stuff off my ITR with a good friend of mine in Japan, as I suppose people over there really like our stuff over theirs....go figure

Later,
Aj