how to tell which type R

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
webicky
New ITRCA Member

how to tell which type R

Post by webicky »

I am buying a type R. This is a direct imported engine from Japan (claimed),..

How can I tell more about the engine? (year/horse power)
See the pictures. I am a total moron with this stuff so simple answers are appeciated!! Thanks!

Stamp

Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Start with this http://itrca.com/FAQ/faq.php I gotta run out, but post more detailed questions and I'll do my best to help you. Maybe some other members will jump in and help.
swed
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

Looks like a legit JDM ITR motor to me. All of them make basically the same power.
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
webicky
New ITRCA Member

Post by webicky »

as I understand the Jap version is 200 (+?) hp. not sure if that is correct?

also, understand that 98+ they upgraded the Jap engine.

understand there are some circles somewhere that will indicate the year of this engine.. not sure where.
Yoshimitshu
New ITRCA Member

Post by Yoshimitshu »

That looks like a '98 engine due to the wire cover being CF, unless someone put that on there. Other then that it seems to have the correct stamping and ECU, and the IM looks good and not of a GSR.
Major_Wolf
ITRCA Member

Post by Major_Wolf »

webicky wrote:as I understand the Jap version is 200 (+?) hp. not sure if that is correct?

That is correct :roll:
9dee7_itr
New ITRCA Member

Post by 9dee7_itr »

There are several differences between the 95-97 JDM ITR's and the 98-01 JDM ITR's:

Drive Train:

95-97 B18C's have the cylinder head ports buffed by hand. compression ratio of 11:1 are the same between both generations. Engine was equipped with a 2 piece exhaust manifold,in a 4-2-1 configuration. The top portion was constructed of cast iron, and the bottom portion is stainless steel w/ 2.5" collector.
this powerplant produces 200 bhp

The gear ratio's for the 95-97 JDM ITR's were equipped with a 4.4 final drive

Chassis:

95-97 ITR's have a different rear bumper. brake rotors were a little smaller which included a 4 x 114.3 bolt pattern along with 15x6 rims and 195/55/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE010 tires.
HID headlamps were not an option at this point.

From 98-01 the following modifications were performed by Honda on the JDM ITR:

Drive Train:

cylinder head ports were buffed mechanically via Computer which offered precision work which was impossible to due by hand.
The exhaust manifold was changed to an all stainless steel 1 piece with a
4-1 configuration and 2.5" collector, this modification increased low to mid range torque, as well as a reduction in weight.
These modifications bumped the HP from 200bhp to 210bhp.

The gear ratios remained the same, with the exception of a 4.785 final drive, which increased off the line acceleration, and improved lap times between the early type r's and the later production type R's.

Chassis:

Brake rotors were increased in size, along with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, larger 16x7 wheels and 215/45/16 Bridgestone potenza tires. Suspension was also slightly modified with the increase in trailing arm size. This allowed for more precise handling and stability.
The 98-01 JDM ITR's also received a different rear bumper and HID headlamps, which increased weight.

Through several tests the overall modifications between the two generations concluded in faster lap times, better braking. Otherwise the the 95-97 and 98-01 ITR's are quite similar.
Trev-R
New ITRCA Member

Post by Trev-R »

^Yup he sumed it all up. The only way to really tell is compression test and check all the numbers.
crxgator
ITRCA Member

Post by crxgator »

it seems like every jdm b18c (r) has a 2###### serial, is this correct?
Major_Wolf
ITRCA Member

Post by Major_Wolf »

crxgator wrote:it seems like every jdm b18c (r) has a 2###### serial, is this correct?
Good question,maybe i small search will help us :-/
cory25
ITRCA Member

Post by cory25 »

the 96-97 motors have the stamp B18C and the 98-2000 motors have the stamp B18C5 (JDM that is) Look at the head on the front right side it should say PR3-2. If it says PR3-3 its a 98-2000 spec, if PR3-2 then its a 96-97 spec. Remember this is for JDM motors, all USDM motors have B18C5 & PR3-3.
On the front left side there are three circles, the first is the month the head was cast, and the second is the year it was cast.
2001 R py#0025
tartje
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by tartje »

9dee7_itr wrote: These modifications bumped the HP from 200bhp to 210bhp

wrong
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

tartje wrote:
9dee7_itr wrote: These modifications bumped the HP from 200bhp to 210bhp

wrong