HyTech or Toda

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
JMUtype-r
New ITRCA Member

HyTech or Toda

Post by JMUtype-r »

Im looking into getting an exhaust system for my 01 Type-r. I have a AEM CAI now and was wondering what yall thought would be a better exhaust system to look into. Ive heard alot about the HyTech header-exhaust system and a little on the Toda. What gains can i expect to get from both of these exhaust systems.
Thanks
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Toda doesn't make an exhaust, so you just answered that one on your own. They make an intake and exhaust manifold, that's it. As far as their header goes, it's a real nice piece, I'd more likely go with that over the Hytech piece, just on it's JDM appeal, that, and the fact that it's less expensive, and it makes about the same power. Hytech exhaust from what I hear is very nice and flows very well. I personally run the Mugen exhaust and love it, and being that it's about the same pricem, I'd probably go with it, as even without a cat, it's quite and not at all raspy, where the hytech does flow a little better, but is more raspy, and a little louder.

Hytech is a great company, and if you have over 2300 bucks to spend on header, tp, and exhaust, then, by all means, I just can't see spending over a thousand bucks for a header. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. But if you're asking my opinion, go with the Toda.

Later,
Aj
integtypr01
New ITRCA Member

Post by integtypr01 »

hey if u really want a hytech header, i got a slightly cracked one (needs welded) that im trying to get rid of, that ill sell for way under what hytech wants for a new one which is about $1300 :D
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

how much do you want for it???

Let me know,
Aj
itr
ITRCA Member

Post by itr »

so do the hytech header crack easily???
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

No, but anything will crack if you wack it on a speed bump for example, hard enough.

That's another nice thing about the Toda, it has a lot of ground clearance...

Later,
Aj
Airbag
New ITRCA Member

difference

Post by Airbag »

How does the mugen header compare to the toda. In terms of power(high end or low end) and in terms of noise.
40calpal
New ITRCA Member

Post by 40calpal »

Hey AJ u runnin the mugen twin loop on u're R? Is it worth getting a whole new exhaust when the stock is fairly decent? I don't want my R to sound riced out what's out there thats quiet or should i just stick with stock exhaust?
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Yes i run a mugen twin loop, and yes it's worth switching. It uses 2.5 inch piping, not to mention a 2.5 inch collector between pipes, it's fitment is perfect and the welds are amazing. The Mugen exhaust is not only nice and quite, but even without i cat, as I took mine off, it's not at all what so ever raspy, it realyl sounds great. It also gives a nice deep tone where the stock is a little winey in comparison especially without a cat.

Any way, good luck,
Aj
integtypr01
New ITRCA Member

Post by integtypr01 »

AJ- make an offer. im a little hesitant on selling it b/c i know what a great header it is, but i dont want to really deal with it. if i cant find someone who wants it, ill fix it, but id rather just get enough money to buy a new jdm one or something
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, I talked to SFP and they want $150 to fix it assuming it's just cracked and not badly dented as well, in which case I'd offer you $250 plus shipping. If you're interested, or need somehting in trade, maybe we can work something out.

Either way, let me know,
Aj
itr
ITRCA Member

Post by itr »

Aj

you know how the mugen exhaust bottle necks from the cat to resonator. how do you feel about that. do you think that it reduces the flow and theres loss of power. the reason is that i have the exhaust and its just sitting there b/c i feel that the bottle neck reduces the power and thats a lot of money for an exhaust. i didnt know until i bought it

let me know
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

The reason that is, is becuase it has to accomodate for the 2.3 inch piping diameter that US cats and test pipes use, but it's only at the cat side of the B-pipe, and from my understanding, I guess they made it so that using that flange that came with it, you can get it bored out, or sand it out so that it's 2.5 inch, otherwise, I didn't see any bottle necks??? Note, that I'm not sure about that, it's just something someone told me a while back, and a I never really payed that much attention to it, so you'll deifinitely want to double check that, but that was his explanation of why the flange had oval shaped holes on the flange.

The exhaust does flow very well though, it utilizes a 2.5 inch collector where it connects to the muffler section.

Later,
Aj
2000R
New ITRCA Member

Post by 2000R »

I have the Hy-tech and love it. I havn't lowered the car any so I havn't had any clearance problems.
2001 Z06
2000 R
2000 Lightning
1993 Mustang
1992 Accord
1979 Civic
2000 RC51
1997 HD bobber