Best Turbo Kit for TYPE-R

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
TURBO-ITR
New ITRCA Member

Best Turbo Kit for TYPE-R

Post by TURBO-ITR »

I will be geting my TYPE-R soon by next week, so what is the best turbo kit for my TYPE-R.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I think Rev-Hard if your going to get a kit. I would look into a custom turbo kit though.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

kit

Post by Jan Niemi »

I like the RH kit it's been on my car for 2 years, still makes me smile every time I drop the hammer.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

Jan which stage is your kit my friend priced out a kit for me at his shop cost it's the REV HARD Stage 2C $5000CDN around $3400US
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

Revhard kit
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

Found a better deal $2875US plus shipping. I think I shall get my hands on that deal.
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
g6
New ITRCA Member

Post by g6 »

Beasty18C5 wrote:Found a better deal $2875US plus shipping. I think I shall get my hands on that deal.
thats a good deal, you mind tellin us where u got that from :D . From rev gard website they do it for $3999. Another question with teh kit do you get everything needed and is it a simple job to be done by some1 that knows a bit about cars? I mean if its a bolt on mod it shouldnt be that hard.
itr449
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr449 »

I didn't buy my kit from them but afterhourzracing.com has the best prices that i've seen on the rev hard stuff. They will also let you add and take away components of the "kit" hat you might or might not want. They have great customer service as well. I bought my kit elswhere like i said but they answered all my questions as if i bought from them. Good Luck and i hope this helps out other that might be interested in BOOST!!!
Last edited by itr449 on March 30th, 2003, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2k phoenix yellow R#449
itr449
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr449 »

corrected link in last post :wink:
2k phoenix yellow R#449
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

the REV HARD 2C that i found is from http://www.ImportCarPartsPlus.com
Check with them if they have any left as this was a great deal I did not buy it going custom set-up

shop is in Saxe,VA phone# (434) 454-4469
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
g6
New ITRCA Member

Post by g6 »

with the first turbo package from rev hard you dont have to change any internals right. it just dosent make any sense to me putin on a turbo with a compression ratio that high,the pistons will surely get damaget if you run boost. :roll: can some1 that has more experinece than me with the itr explain that to me :?
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

Nowadays, most kits are designed to run on the stock ITR platform with it's high compression ratio 10:6:1, but for a turbo application this is not the norm. If you want to exploit the true potential of a turbocharger then that requires a lower compression ratio of 8:0:1 (compression ratio application like this can run more then 20 PSI!) 8:5:1, 9:0:1, 9:1:1, 9:5:1. As you can see these are some of the highs and lows of piston compression ratios (provided you back that up with high strength connecting rods and other stuff.) but with settings like that 500hp can easily be seen to the wheels provided you strengthin your engine internals as well as having a healthy supply of fuel. if you run high compression pistons things will get hot and things will get damaged. :twisted:

speed drunkie 101
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

As long as you don't exeed 6psi of boost on a stock ITR motor you should be fine with the kit.
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

I heard with the ITR you can hold as much as 10 PSI with the Inercooler, at least with the greddy unit... :twisted:

speed drunkie 101
g6
New ITRCA Member

Post by g6 »

Kangbateh wrote:Nowadays, most kits are designed to run on the stock ITR platform with it's high compression ratio 10:6:1, but for a turbo application this is not the norm. If you want to exploit the true potential of a turbocharger then that requires a lower compression ratio of 8:0:1 (compression ratio application like this can run more then 20 PSI!) 8:5:1, 9:0:1, 9:1:1, 9:5:1. As you can see these are some of the highs and lows of piston compression ratios (provided you back that up with high strength connecting rods and other stuff.) but with settings like that 500hp can easily be seen to the wheels provided you strengthin your engine internals as well as having a healthy supply of fuel. if you run high compression pistons things will get hot and things will get damaged. :twisted:

speed drunkie 101
sorry but i live in Uk and the compresion ratios here on an 99 itr are

U.K. and Euro-spec. cars use the B18C6 version of the 1797cc engine:
Compression ratio = 11.1:1
Max power = 190PS @ 7900rpm
Max torque = 178Nm @ 7300rpm

Can these trubo kits safely be used considering the higher compresion ration that we have over here and still generate the same hp figures??
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Boost

Post by Jan Niemi »

Right now, I am running 8.5psi on my USDM Type R. I would definitely be careful with such a high compression ratio. Keep the boost low, and the octane high. I have the benefit of 94 octane, which is available at any Sunoco here in Michigan.
g6
New ITRCA Member

Re: Boost

Post by g6 »

Jan Niemi wrote:Right now, I am running 8.5psi on my USDM Type R. I would definitely be careful with such a high compression ratio. Keep the boost low, and the octane high. I have the benefit of 94 octane, which is available at any Sunoco here in Michigan.
here in Uk we can get 98octane of the pumps, is teh best octane available from Shell is called Optimax and make the car run hella better. :lol:
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

Sorry Mate! :twisted:

speed druggie 101
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I would run a thicker head gasket and low boost. My car is running 5psi and is pretty close to its limits. I've heard up to 6psi being safe but your pushing the limits of a stock block. Remember a car doesn't know its being boosted. All it knows is its working hard and has more stress being put on the motor. What are your goals. Who cares what you are boosting if your making the power that you want.
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Boost

Post by Jan Niemi »

Erik makes a good point. I know I am in no man's land as far as my boost level is concerned. But to me 8.5psi is low boost. I'm used to levels in excess of 20 psi (with my Talons-(low compression)) luckily the Type R has a superior-strength crankshaft, and oil squirters below the pistons to keep them cool. I feel safe boosting up to 10 psi, as long as there is a marginal increase in power, and no detonation. Like Erik says, what's the point in just concentrating on the word "boost" if you are satisfying your power goals. My car detonates at 11psi, 10 is on the edge, but doable. I usually keep a small margin of "safety". Also, the stock Honda Map sensor will fault the ECU at 11 psi w/o checkvalves. The VAFC will allow 11psi by subtracting voltage from the Map signal, but you have a very small window to work with. With 98 octane fuel available, and with the proper tuning, you should have no problems boosting that high compression motor. (Don't forget to intercool, intercool, intercool.....)
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

Hey Jan you should look into the HKS MAP bypass sensor. I'm running one on my car..... :lol:
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

hks

Post by Jan Niemi »

I did'nt know HKS made that, I thought it was another company. Do you have a part number? I got on Jotech's page, and found nothing, theionline shopping was down. I also got on HKS and nothing. Do you have pics of what this check valve looks like?
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I'll get it for you.......
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

check valve

Post by Jan Niemi »

You sure it's not a missing link as opposed to HKS.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

Yea thats it. Sorry......you still need the info?
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T