Air Conditioning on 1997 Type-R. Please HELP

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Ryan126
New ITRCA Member

Air Conditioning on 1997 Type-R. Please HELP

Post by Ryan126 »

I know this is crazy, but I want to buy a 97 Type R and INSTALL A/C on it. This is because I live in Los Angeles where it gets really hot in the summer and since my work requires me to be in the Car ALL DAY, AC would help alot.
I called my mechanic and he said 1400+ installed using OEM parts. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket kits that are cheaper. Can you anticipate any problems that I might encounter doing this installation? Any other comments/suggestions welcome. Thanks a bunch.
Blurr
New ITRCA Member

Post by Blurr »

That price is about right. My friend down in Bay Area had the dealer install it. At least if it mess up then it would be on them. Unfortunately it is kind of steep. But he enjoys his commute now especially on 880. Good luck.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I think you can find some where cheaper. I had a AC put in my wifes Civic for a little over $900. I don't think they used OEM parts though.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

dumb question

Post by Aj »

This may sound like a stupid question, but, why don't you just buy a 97' ITR that has A/C, as in 97' many people opted for it from the factory. Becuase, yes, you can put it in a car, but it's all a lot easier to buy one with it already. Especially as this way you know that the wiring and fitment of everything was done correctly. Nothing beats factory installation.

Also, as far as aftermarket kits, any place that restores old cars will know where to get an aftermarket kit. But, on a side note, usually, that's one of those things you don't want to skimp out on, especially if it breaks in the Cali. heat. I live in FL, and having my a/c break would majorly suck.

Any way, good luck with it,
Aj
DeanO
New ITRCA Member

Post by DeanO »

Ryan,

You may be out of luck. The 97-98 A/C kit for the Type R is no longer available in the United States. I have a Canadian-spec 2001 Type R and I searched for a OEM U.S. kit for several weeks. It's simply not available.

You can still buy individual A/C components, but this can be quite costly. I ended up importing a Canadian-spec A/C kit for a "cool" sum of $1300. Painful, isn't it?

Dean
Ryan126
New ITRCA Member

Post by Ryan126 »

You may be out of luck. The 97-98 A/C kit for the Type R is no longer available in the United States. I have a Canadian-spec 2001 Type R and I searched for a OEM U.S. kit for several weeks. It's simply not available.

You can still buy individual A/C components, but this can be quite costly. I ended up importing a Canadian-spec A/C kit for a "cool" sum of $1300. Painful, isn't it?

Dean
Thanks for all your info. Dean, do you happen to have a parts list for the Candian Spec A/C? I called Acura of Los Angeles, and they said they have one available. Ill keep my fingers crossed.
DeanO
New ITRCA Member

Post by DeanO »

Ryan,

Here's a pic of the "Aircon Kit" (Acura's term) for a Canadian-spec Type R:

The correct part number for the 1997 Type R Aircon kit is:
80000-ST7-A50. The Integra RS kit is 80000-ST7-A11.

The 1998 Type R (US model) and 2000-2001 Canadian-spec Type R Aircon kit is different:

80000-ST7-A52

Here is the list of parts needed for the 1998 Type R without factory air:

I also want to clear up the MYTH that the Integra GSR/RS air conditioning system is the same as the Type R. Bullsh*t. The Type R has a different compressor assembly and idler pulley assembly, to name a few key parts.

I wish you good luck finding a 1997 A/C kit. If the Los Angeles dealer has one, I suggest buying it immediately. Acura no longer produces the kit.

Dean
Ryan126
New ITRCA Member

Post by Ryan126 »

Dan, I appreciate all your help.
Do you know if The cand. Spec AirCon Kit will fit the US Spec model?
IN case the LA Dealership does not have it in stock, what route would you recommend?
The only reason im not getting another car is because I found a 97 Type R with only 1500 Miles on the odometer (It was used as a show car).
Thanks again.