0-60

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Jason Moon
New ITRCA Member

0-60

Post by Jason Moon »

i was reading honda-tech and some guy said it is easy to pull a high 5 sec from a stock type R. Is this possible? to pull a high 5 on a bone stock type R?

i barrowed a friends G-force tech and tried the 0-60 on my car. time came out as 6.5 (from my ES300, 91 octane) :roll: what do you guys think? is the high 5 actually possible?
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

no, or at least extremely doubtful. If road and track and car and drive both say that it's 6.5, that's about as good as it's gonna get. They also said by the same scale that the quarter time should be 14.7 at 96, but even that is a bit exadurated. I'd say this kids a bit full of it. consider that an S2000 does it in like 5.5, and I dont know if you've ever raced one off the line, but they hall ass, mainly cause they are rear wheel drive...

Later,
Aj
ITR862
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR862 »

I think the lowest 0-60 time I saw for the R was 6.2 but I dont remember where I saw that. Bottom line, your friend is lying. He probably counted as he accelerated to 60. :D Slow I might add.
S2000CRX
New ITRCA Member

Post by S2000CRX »

If when you say high 5 you mean like 5.8-5.9 then it's entirely possible. I won't say easy like your friend but not impossible. I don't really take into consideration what car magazines say either. I've seen 1/4 mile times for an S2000 as low as 13.9 and as high as 14.8 in various magazines. Usually they put them in the mid to high 14 second range. I ran a 13.87@102 in mine bone stock. Alot of the engine architechture is very similar between a typeR and an S2000 as well. Both of these cars are very dependant on proper engine break in. I've seen a well maintained properly broken in TypeR run 14.0 in the quarter bone stock. Now granted the guy could drive his ass off. I've also seen one get beat by a lightly modified Civic Si. I've owned 2 GSRs, an Accord, a CL type S, my b16 crx, and my S2000 in the last 4 years and to this day I'm more impressed with a type R than anything I've owned. I will NEVER under estimate a well maintained ITR. They can really suprise you given what they have to work with.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Quarter mile times may fluctuate, a stock ITR could theoretically run a 14.0 in the quarter(if dropped out a plane!!!), and yes you're right, it's possible, it's just not possible on street tires. let's just say for a second that the proffesional drivers at all the different mags were inconsistant, and weren't the greatest launches, there is still no way that you're going to shave off 7/10 of a second. that's like saying that you can get a 60' time of like 2.2 which is about avg for an ITR if not a little on the low side, and ok, the 60' is only till about 40mph, but to get it down to 1.5. The likelyhood that you could get your qarter mile time 7/10 lower is unlikely, but you're right, possible, the likelyhood that you're gonna do it on 0-60, is slim to none.

Though the motor "architecture" may be somewhat similar, but not quite, one critical thing you neglected to mention, is that the S2000 is rear wheel drive, and has a motor that's almost centered in the weight distribution of the car, not to mention transversely mounted. In other words, it launches like a mid-engine car, and easily pulls 2.0 in the 60' at the track if launched properly. The S2000 launches far better than any other honda with the exception of the NSX, and just barely cause the NSX has the motor chillin on the rear wheels for added traction. Plus the S2000 also has the advantage of 45 more horse power, and more torque than the ITR.

And to further my point, lets put this in perspective, a Porsche 911 carrera 4s, which is all wheel drive, and launches like you would not believe, runs between 5.1 and 5.6 depending on which tranny you get. Now you're not going to tell me that a stock front wheel drive ITR is going to be a couple tenths slower, you're talking about like a bumper in a race....come on.

This guy that says he's putting down high 5's on a stock ITR is full of it. Maybe heavily moded, I can believe, heck after all the moolah I dumped into mine, I'll be really happy with that kind of 0-60 time.

What ever, not possible in my opinion. I have all the faith in the world in ITRs, but that's a little outta the realm of believable.

Later,
Aj
S2000CRX
New ITRCA Member

Post by S2000CRX »

I agree with you on a lot of things. I will point out a few exceptions though. A Carrera 4 running 5.1 is a huge gap on a 5.9 second car. Thats almost a full second by 60 mph. Thats a big gap. On a 9 second 0-60 car thats not much but the lower that number gets the harder it is to knock a few tenths off. You also have to take into consideration that the times tested in the magazine are on normal roads most of the time....and while I'm not talking about slicks, even with street tires there is far more traction at the track than at the street. I would bet money that their are very few type Rs that run under 6 seconds 0-60 on a normal road with normal street tires. Things change at a track though.
Also, My comment about the similaritys between the typeR and the S2000 were strictly regarding engine achitechture. Thats it...other than that the two have nothing in common. My point was that engine break in and regular maintenance is very crucial.
And I'm sorry but I've seen an ITR run a 14.0 on street tires with nothing more than a removed exhaust and all the extra shit in the car removed (spare tire, tools, etc etc) They are S2000 fast....it's the other things that set an S2000 apart.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, tracks were you live must be far better than where I am, cause at moroso, you get no traction in front wheel drive cars, where on the street, it's just the opposite.

As far as the word stock goes, stock, means exactly that, as in, you drive it off the show room floor and go straight to the track, that's what a bone stock ITR runs.

As far as removed exhaust and lightened being stock, that's a big difference. The whole reason why a EG hatch back is so much faster than an ITR given the same motor is the huge weight difference, and when you talk about taking a good amount of weight out of a car, it has the same type of effect. Rule of thumb, for every 100lbs you drop, it's 7hp for the first like 30(give or take 10)percent of the cars wieght. So by that same scale, keep in mind that removing stuff isn't exactly decisively stock. As far as running without an exhaust, that's about the best free flow exhaust you can get, figure by getting a high flow exhaust you scoop up a couple hp, imagine on that same scale how much you'd get by removing it entirely. Aside from sounding terrible, it'd give you a nice bump in performance. If there's any argument, I'll take my nieghbors stock GS-R into work one day and dyno it with and without exhaust. I think you'll find you loose a bit of low end torque, but get a pretty good deal of high end hp especially through vtec, and in the case of the track, you don't want low end torque for reasons of traction any way, and aren't using any low rpm anything after the launch regardless, you should be in Vtec the rest of the way down the track.

I guess everyone's idea of what stock is, is a bit different, but I think you're a bit off on this one.....14.0 bone stock, the way you pull it off the show room floor, I think sounds a little bit outta wack. Just my opinion, given, anything is possible.

Later,
Aj
S2000CRX
New ITRCA Member

Post by S2000CRX »

Actually I agree completely. I guess by stock I mean nothing was added to the car. Also, the weight savings were probably in the 40 pound range including the exhaust. Still, that sounds like a good time for a "stock" four cylinder front wheel drive car. My point is :thumbsup: to type Rs
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Tru dat!!!!
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

0-60

Post by Jan Niemi »

I don't even try anymore, going to the drag strip has taught me one very important lesson about my R - I make my power at the end, most v8, will beat me out of the hole, but usually by midtrack, I'm winning - when I hit 80-90 mph, and after that I'm spanking - I've beat a lot of powerful fast v8s in the very last stage of the 1/4, when they are out of their powerband - and I am in VTECland, oh sweet RPM!!!
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.