Mazda MX6 Vs a Itr

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
SpTypeR
New ITRCA Member

Mazda MX6 Vs a Itr

Post by SpTypeR »

what do you guys think????????/ :idea: :lol:
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

mx6 vs itr

Post by Jan Niemi »

ITR, no doubt, I assume you are talking about the late 80s early 90s MX6 GT turbo, I owned one it was a nice little turbo car, active suspension, intercooled, nice car, but the ITR would spank it stock no problem. The newer v6 mx 6s are shit.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: mx6 vs itr

Post by BudMan »

Jan Niemi wrote:ITR, no doubt, I assume you are talking about the late 80s early 90s MX6 GT turbo, I owned one it was a nice little turbo car, active suspension, intercooled, nice car, but the ITR would spank it stock no problem. The newer v6 mx 6s are shit.

word! I've got a guy here in the office running an MX6 (yes, it has the 6 cylinder) with an intake & NO INTERIOR (not even a headliner - just the dash & dr seat).....his best time is 14.3 (2 times)...normally he runs 14.5-6.

Anyone know specs??

btw - his car w/no interior = 2700 lbs without him in it according to him. I haven't verified the weight.

**Once again - weight ownzzzz.
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Re: mx6 vs itr

Post by TypeR 801 »

lol. A month or so after getting my R I ran an MX-6 LS 5spd on a local road. He had a nice launch and the V6 torque owned my out of the hole. Mid way through second and all of third I walked him hard.

Next light, we chatted. He was quite suprised by the "top-end power" I had, especially since he claimed he ran 14.7's in his MX-6. Wuhteva ;)

I don't think they're that fast. My R is one of the pokier ones around and dusted that one. One thing worth mentioning. The KL-ZE motor from Japan has higher compression, better cams, good for about 30-35 more hp than the standard USDM 2.5L V6. A lot of guys import that stuff and put it on their MX-6's. The MX-3 GS (V6) five speed is also identical to the MX-6 LS, but has a shorter 4.10 final drive. It is a great swap for drag racers. Those cars can be hopped up too, so beware.
BudMan wrote:
Jan Niemi wrote:ITR, no doubt, I assume you are talking about the late 80s early 90s MX6 GT turbo, I owned one it was a nice little turbo car, active suspension, intercooled, nice car, but the ITR would spank it stock no problem. The newer v6 mx 6s are shit.

word! I've got a guy here in the office running an MX6 (yes, it has the 6 cylinder) with an intake & NO INTERIOR (not even a headliner - just the dash & dr seat).....his best time is 14.3 (2 times)...normally he runs 14.5-6.

Anyone know specs??

btw - his car w/no interior = 2700 lbs without him in it according to him. I haven't verified the weight.

**Once again - weight ownzzzz.
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
upitycracker
New ITRCA Member

Re: Mazda MX6 Vs a Itr

Post by upitycracker »

I was just gonna say exactly what the guy above said, the stock ls engine (klde) is only 160bhp were the jspec klze is 200bhp, very close to your integra type r's. I myself have a mx-3 and have started ordering parts for my ze swap. There is a civic in town with the integra type r engine, ill see how i do with it at the strip. Dont get me wrong I like your cars! Thats why Im here.
BlackMX-3
suite 200

Re: Mazda MX6 Vs a Itr

Post by BlackMX-3 »

MX-3 has 4.388:1 final drive gear, MX-6 has 4.111:1. The MX-6 with factory tranny will transfer slightly less to the ground because of the gearing, but will have a higher top speed.

The MX-6 will weigh close to 3000lbs from the factory, but commonly weight reduction is the most popular "modification" any knowledgable driver will perform. To quote BudMan "I've got a guy here in the office running an MX6 (yes, it has the 6 cylinder) with an intake & NO INTERIOR (not even a headliner - just the dash & dr seat).....his best time is 14.3 (2 times)...normally he runs 14.5-6."

That isn't to bad for a car with only an intake now is it? 13's are achievable with an acid ported IM, 64mm TB, MX-3 flywheel shaved to 13lbs, Hotshot Headers, and just a stage 2 clutch. So for around $1000 an MX-6 that weighs 2700lbs can run mid to high 13's on a factory engine without nitrous when tuned properly. Luckily for other racers, many MX-6 owners spend their time getting the heads shaved and worry about other things like a KLZE swap.

I'm just saying this to inform you, if you go up against a knowledgable and tuned MX-6 from Probetalk.com or MX6.com your race may have very interesting results. Don't knock it till you know it, some words of caution.

(Think of a 2400Lb MX-3 with 4.388:1 final gearing and that same MX-6 motor I spoke of earlier, that's a sleeper you should be worried about :wink:)
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Always good to have the perspective of an intelligent person with knowledge of the vehicle beind discussed. :thumbup: to blackmx3
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis