This weird sound :S

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
SerGTR
ITRCA Member

This weird sound :S

Post by SerGTR »

What happens is whenever I am moving steering wheel to right car mades this very unusual not loud but noticible sound of like (two flat metal plates grinding against each other). At first I though it was CV axle but it even does that when turn wheel to 1'clock (slight turn) and sound is constant I mean it doesn't get louder when I make a full U turn. Can some one please give me some opinios please :cry: I am just really paranoid about this sound.
KetteringITR
ITRCA Member

Post by KetteringITR »

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Does the sound go away when the wheel is turned to the other direction? Highway is the best place hear this. Ive had both front wheel bearings go bad and the sound is the same as you described, is constant in pitch, but went away when i would turn the wheel ever so slightly one way.
2001 Acura Integra Type-R
1967 Cadillac Deville Convertible - Sold :(
SerGTR
ITRCA Member

Post by SerGTR »

KetteringITR wrote:Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Does the sound go away when the wheel is turned to the other direction? Highway is the best place hear this. Ive had both front wheel bearings go bad and the sound is the same as you described, is constant in pitch, but went away when i would turn the wheel ever so slightly one way.
Yea car only produces this sound when I turn the wheel to the right (even slightly). But it kinda sounds that this sound comes somewhere from outside, was it same to you? Also the only things wrong on ITR are bad rear brake pads and right CV axle is popped, I am gonna take care of that stuff soon but its just doesn't seem like axle either rear brakes could make this weird sound.
sp00led
New ITRCA Member

Post by sp00led »

I've had countless accords with bad axles that would knock bad when turning and it stops when you push in the clutch. Also I have torn up two axles on my turbo integra that didnt' rip the boot but the axle was bad. It would cause the car to shake or vibrate badly during accel. When you push in teh clutch it wouldn't 100% go away but it was noticably better.

Hope that helps you determine if it is CV related.
1996 Honda Integra Type-R (JDM)
100% Stock
1999 Acura Integra GSR
GT3076R + 2.0L + Full-Race + Mase = 503whp @ 21psi
2001ITRYELLOW
New ITRCA Member

Post by 2001ITRYELLOW »

I THINK IT MIGHT BE A BALL JOINT, CHECK THE BOOT, CAUSE YOU WOULD KNOW IF IT WAS THE CV. BUT I WOULDN'T KNOW UNTIL I SEE. BUT CHECK IT OUT.
SerGTR
ITRCA Member

Post by SerGTR »

2001ITRYELLOW wrote:I THINK IT MIGHT BE A BALL JOINT, CHECK THE BOOT, CAUSE YOU WOULD KNOW IF IT WAS THE CV. BUT I WOULDN'T KNOW UNTIL I SEE. BUT CHECK IT OUT.
Alright I'll take some pictures of axle and post em as soon as I get chance, but the reason why I know that sound comes from outside is because I can hear it with windows rolled down better but on inside only when exhaust quietens.
98 CW ITR 322
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by 98 CW ITR 322 »

Might be the LSD clutches. Change oil in the transmission. It can make this kinda' sound if someone put regular man. trans fluid in the gearbox. You only hear a noise when you are turning esp. when parking. The LSD requires a friction additive, either OEM Acura oil or Red Line MTL WITH their friction additive mixed in.
But check all the above suggestions first. It's most likely wheel bearings, brakes, CV joints or ball joints worn out. A whole new half-shaft is about the same price as having the old one rebuilt.
Look for anything rubbing in fenderwells and on driveshafts too. A good visual inspection costs nothing.
SerGTR
ITRCA Member

Post by SerGTR »

98 CW ITR 322 wrote:Might be the LSD clutches. Change oil in the transmission. It can make this kinda' sound if someone put regular man. trans fluid in the gearbox. You only hear a noise when you are turning esp. when parking. The LSD requires a friction additive, either OEM Acura oil or Red Line MTL WITH their friction additive mixed in.
But check all the above suggestions first. It's most likely wheel bearings, brakes, CV joints or ball joints worn out. A whole new half-shaft is about the same price as having the old one rebuilt.
Look for anything rubbing in fenderwells and on driveshafts too. A good visual inspection costs nothing.
Tnx for piching in with some info I'll let know when I find and fix the problem
KetteringITR
ITRCA Member

Post by KetteringITR »

Im almost positive its your wheel bearing. When i would drive straight or turn the wheel to the right, there was a constant metal on metal sound that resonated from outside the car when i reached speeds of prolly 20+ mph. However when i slightly turned to the left, the sound went away completely. Check the things other people have mentioned first because a replacement wheel bearing isnt all that cheap but from the sounds of it, you got the same problem i had.
2001 Acura Integra Type-R
1967 Cadillac Deville Convertible - Sold :(
2001ITRYELLOW
New ITRCA Member

Post by 2001ITRYELLOW »

STILL THINK ITS A BALL JOINT CUZ I HAD SOME KIND OF SOUND LIKE THAT WHEN I HAD A 2001 PRELUDE, AND THEN I CHANGED MY BALL JOINTS TO SH ONES, IT WENT AWAY.

JUST TURNING THE WHEEL EVEN A LITTLE FROM LEFT TO RIGHTE WHEN CAR IS STILL AND JUST CRUISIN' 10-15MPH IS WHEN I HEARD THE PROB, CHECK IF BOOT IS OPEN IN THE BALL JOINT FROM THE SIDE ITS COMING FROM
SerGTR
ITRCA Member

Post by SerGTR »

2001ITRYELLOW wrote:STILL THINK ITS A BALL JOINT CUZ I HAD SOME KIND OF SOUND LIKE THAT WHEN I HAD A 2001 PRELUDE, AND THEN I CHANGED MY BALL JOINTS TO SH ONES, IT WENT AWAY.

JUST TURNING THE WHEEL EVEN A LITTLE FROM LEFT TO RIGHTE WHEN CAR IS STILL AND JUST CRUISIN' 10-15MPH IS WHEN I HEARD THE PROB, CHECK IF BOOT IS OPEN IN THE BALL JOINT FROM THE SIDE ITS COMING FROM
well the boot is popped on right side where sound comes from, but how can be sure if it is axle or the bad bearings?
sp00led
New ITRCA Member

Post by sp00led »

SerGTR wrote:
2001ITRYELLOW wrote:STILL THINK ITS A BALL JOINT CUZ I HAD SOME KIND OF SOUND LIKE THAT WHEN I HAD A 2001 PRELUDE, AND THEN I CHANGED MY BALL JOINTS TO SH ONES, IT WENT AWAY.

well the boot is popped on right side where sound comes from, but how can be sure if it is axle or the bad bearings?
If the boot is busted chances are you just found your problem. noise should go away while turing if you push in the clutch.

Autozone $59.99 lifetime replacement axles. Easy fix.
1996 Honda Integra Type-R (JDM)
100% Stock
1999 Acura Integra GSR
GT3076R + 2.0L + Full-Race + Mase = 503whp @ 21psi
SerGTR
ITRCA Member

well...

Post by SerGTR »

Alright after a multiple week delema I found and fixed the problem accidently. I feel like a dumbass after being so paranoid and diagnosing the whole chassis just to find out what it was, but it turn out to be that my rear brakes needed to be simply replaced and thats all it was really. Damn after 5 semester of automotive education I couldn't realize that it was a simple pads broblem shame on me :oops: . Its just my brakes didn't make noise when I was braking straight no squeaks nothin but when I was turning slightly to right squuueeeaaaak! Well anyways THANK YOU ALL for all of your help and support my ITR feels healthy again :D