"Common Type R Problem" ? Sounds odd to me!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
cwl2373
New ITRCA Member

"Common Type R Problem" ? Sounds odd to me!

Post by cwl2373 »

Perusing eBay and found this write-up under the ad for a 98 ITR, eBay item #270175879825. BTW, this car has 83,050 miles.
Now onto the car. When I bought it, I found out soon after that the piston rings were bad. (Common Type R Problem) So I took the car to an ASE certified Honda Master tech and had factory Honda JDM ITR pistons and rings installed to fix it. Now the car runs PERFECT!!!
I never had any ring problems with my ITR or my 11 year old, 171k+ mileage GSR. Is this guy full of sh*t or are bad piston rings a "Common Type R Problem" as he stated?
Proud owner of two...
'00 Type R #1455
'96 GS-R
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Well oil burning/consumption is common... my R has burned oil since the second week of owning it. I had the entire head replaced (for a different reason) and it still burns oil by the buckets so in my case it is the rings.
I'd say that half of the ITRs out there burn oil and it mostly due to rings.
Common, yeah that would be a good word to use. But I'm sure someone will argue and say it's not common :P
tartje
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by tartje »

mine burns oil due to bad oil control rings :)
cheezthis:- Last year was much calmer compared to previous years.

AssPenny:-
That was because I wasn't there :P
Sfedai0
New ITRCA Member

Post by Sfedai0 »

I unfortunately burn oil as well prob due to bad rings....
Loud-N-Clear
New ITRCA Member

Post by Loud-N-Clear »

Mine too. :(
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: "Common Type R Problem" ? Sounds odd to me!

Post by BudMan »

cwl2373 wrote:Perusing eBay and found this write-up under the ad for a 98 ITR, eBay item #270175879825. BTW, this car has 83,050 miles.
Now onto the car. When I bought it, I found out soon after that the piston rings were bad. (Common Type R Problem) So I took the car to an ASE certified Honda Master tech and had factory Honda JDM ITR pistons and rings installed to fix it. Now the car runs PERFECT!!!
I never had any ring problems with my ITR or my 11 year old, 171k+ mileage GSR. Is this guy full of sh*t or are bad piston rings a "Common Type R Problem" as he stated?
He's full of crap. These may burn oil, but at 9000rpm it doesn't cause any problem or stop them to the point of a rebuild or re-ring.

BudMan...still racing the 130,000 mile motor burning the same 1/4 quart per 1/2 hour.
soulassassin13
ITRCA Member

Post by soulassassin13 »

I burn oil too..... time for an oil change about every 2400 for me...
Timeless. Keeping it real, so you don't have to.