how about i-vtec?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

how about i-vtec?

Post by Sick TR »

what did you guys think about the new i-vtec? is the Rsx a good challenge for the type R?
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, so far, in the drag circuit, most people who have been utilizing the K20 series motors have disabled the i-vtec, and gone with a standard cam gear, rather than the scuzzy one honda uses. It seems it's a great system for stock, but hard to tune, and mod....

Running for a B-series, don't think so, but I guess we'll find out in years to come.........

Later,
Aj
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

It's the wave of the future and will offer greater performance than static cam gears. Tuning will take time, but it will utlimately outperform non i-vtec equipped cars. Much like Fuel Injection took time to extract more hp from, cam phasers will take some time to figure out too, but there lots of power to be found with them. All I can say is be patient, the tuners will start figuring it out soon.

fwiw- the Toda RSX has an ECU with their Spec A cams which adjusts the i-vtec and all other ignition timing and fuel parameters. With the cams, ECU, header and intake the car put down 220 whp, compared with 170 stock. No way an ITR could put down that kind of hp with a plug in ECU spec A cams, a header and intake. The RSX is heavier and not geared as well, but they are unlocking lots of hp from it.
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

That is tru, but on the same hand, you are really comparing apples to oranges, and although the K20A and K20A2 have more horsepower potential given the proper tunning, it is a much more dififcult platform to work with. In addition, you're also starting with higher compression, and more displacement. It's a more developed motor, with a more complex management system, and realistically, we'll see how it turns out, but in the mean time, there hasn't been a great deal of success with that motor, even Toda has had some initial problems with the fact that the valves were pressed into the retainers, rather than using keepers, and required a custom valve train, even for the spec-A cam.

It seems to be a very delicate system that will require a lot of finess. I think eventually it'll get worked out, but I think we've got a while...and it will never replace the B-series.

Later,
Aj
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

I'm agree with this person.

Post by Sick TR »

It seems to be a very delicate system that will require a lot of finess. I think eventually it'll get worked out, but I think we've got a while...and it will never replace the B-series.
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

I'm agree with this person.

Post by Sick TR »

plus is reall funny that some kids are still thinking that Rsx came to replace the Type R. and running Intake and Exhast wants to beat the type R's. poor guys"""
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

i just love some lil punk thinking theu got the "newer model" and think you "envy" them for having a newer car

fuck them ignorants!
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870