Winter Stoarage

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Winter Stoarage

Post by JDM98Spec »

Hello All,
Fortunately I am storing my car this winter. I was wondering what tips you guys have for storing your vehicle over 3-4 month period? I also have a few questions:

1) Would you start your car every week and let it idle for 20mins? Or leave it off to prevent dry start damage?
2) Is it necessary to put fuel stabilizer only for a 4 month storage?

Thanks in advance,
Sherman
I couldn't fix ur brakes, so i made ur horn louder
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Re: Winter Stoarage

Post by Bbasso »

when I tossed my R in the garage for two years I did nothing! the only thing that went wrong was the tire got flat spotted. Nothing else was bad/wrong.
If you care about the battery (I did not care, was dead already) use a battery tender.
if your garage is heated/ warmer then 40deg you should have min worries.
I would suggest to place the car on jackstands (under the jack points) to prevent tire damage.
before you drive again change the oil and flush the brake fluid. those two fluids (others as well) attract moisture and reduce the effectiveness.

Don't bother starting it, imho it just cause wear...

One thing before starting after sitting for a long time is to prime the motor. Getting the oil circulated is very important to prevent wear/damage. Disconnect the plug wires or distributer, crank it for a few seconds- up to 30 then connect ad start.

I have no problems with my car and you shouldn't either.
swed
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

Thanks Bbasso for the quick response.

But my main concern for not starting the car the entire winter is the valve seals drying out and cracking. But I do understand how dry starting the car can damage the motor...

I've heard both views and not sure which one to go with...Leave the car off or periodically start it??
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

fyi good write up on winter storage

http://s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=247621
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

If ya wanna go nuts, follow that...
I didn't feel the need for all that.
swed
NEVENCE7
New ITRCA Member

Post by NEVENCE7 »

do you really have to fill the gas all the way up to prevent condensation......i read that from s2ki.com forums
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

filling the gas all the way up will prevent condensation, there is no doubt.
swed
NEVENCE7
New ITRCA Member

Post by NEVENCE7 »

Bbasso wrote:filling the gas all the way up will prevent condensation, there is no doubt.
what the worst if you near empty for two or more months storage?
DESIGN : JAPANESE
98 CW ITR 322
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by 98 CW ITR 322 »

Bbasso wrote:filling the gas all the way up will prevent condensation, there is no doubt.
I usually fill up when i get down to 3/4 tank. The less airspace you maintain in a fuel tank, the less condensation moisture you have. Plus you don't have the fuel level float banging up & down like you would in a near empty tank. They can get knocked out of calibration.
(An easy way to check cal is to start with about a quarter tank and have someone slowly fill tank while you monitor fuel gauge. When gauge is dead center on 1/2 full mark, stop pump and restart so display is at 0.0. Fill the gas tank until tank is full, watching the fuel gauge. It should just be hitting the full mark as you get it full. Now read the pump. It should read the same as 1/2 your fuel tanks' capacity.)
quote - Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"
98 CW ITR 322
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by 98 CW ITR 322 »

NEVENCE7 wrote:
what the worst if you near empty for two or more months storage?
Depends on relative humidity and the temperature changes the car has seen over the storage period. If it was stored in a climate controlled garage, the least I'd do is run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through, keeping the revs down untill you run a full tank through.
quote - Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Moisture can cause rust, also water in the fuel causes problems.
swed
nautica_t
New ITRCA Member

Post by nautica_t »

the main reasoning behind filling the tank to full if i recall from reading articles are most gas tank that are metal casted usually rust at the seems of the weld which is where the two halves meet, and by filling it you reduce moisture drying up in there causing it to rust.

but i personally had my car like bbasso stored for 4 years as well bought my 01 ITR had 9k on it, pulled it out in 05 and had no issues, however i did put practically the whole bottle of fuel stabilizer lol.

no flat spots either, to be honest, still driving with the stock potenza re01 tires now lol.
NEVENCE7
New ITRCA Member

Post by NEVENCE7 »

nautica_t wrote:the main reasoning behind filling the tank to full if i recall from reading articles are most gas tank that are metal casted usually rust at the seems of the weld which is where the two halves meet, and by filling it you reduce moisture drying up in there causing it to rust.

but i personally had my car like bbasso stored for 4 years as well bought my 01 ITR had 9k on it, pulled it out in 05 and had no issues, however i did put practically the whole bottle of fuel stabilizer lol.

no flat spots either, to be honest, still driving with the stock potenza re01 tires now lol.
oh ok what if you store it less than a month and no climate controlled garage??? And wow thats amazing driving with the stock potenza tires.lol
DESIGN : JAPANESE
nautica_t
New ITRCA Member

Post by nautica_t »

i only have 30k on the car :p