cam

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
ITR99
New ITRCA Member

cam

Post by ITR99 »

which is the best cam and what does it exactly improve?
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Re: cam

Post by George Knighton »

ITR99 wrote:which is the best cam and what does it exactly improve?
You'd better tell us what you're trying to accomplish, first.
ITR99
New ITRCA Member

hm

Post by ITR99 »

I just want to have more low end torque and overall higher hp
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Re: hm

ITR99 wrote:I just want to have more low end torque and overall higher hp
Well, to be honest, you can get that without buying cams at all.

Here's an example of what you can do without cams:

Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

yeah, not to mention, I don't think you entirely undestand what must go into a car to get a set of cams to function efficiently, and effectively.

To give you a quick understanding, in parts alone, not including any sort of management or peripherals needed. You'll spend between 1500 to 2000 on a nice setup. And, as I said, that's not including ECU, injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and a whole slew of other parts.

At the bare minimum, you'll need to invest in a set of Springs, Ti retainers, and cam gears. Then add the cost of the cams, anywhere between 650-1100 bucks alone.

Also, another problem you'll run into using cams with higher lift and longer durration, is that you'll be needing higher compression. Usually rule of thumb, more lift = more compression needed. For example running a set of Toda Spec-C cams on stock compression is completely out of the question. Yes, they would work, but not as they were designed, nor at all efficiently. There is much horsepower to be gained from cams, but needs to be done as a process, and not just slap them in and pray...

Any way, as I said, do some more research before you just start buying parts, otherwise, I'll garauntee you'll be sorry....Goerge is definitely right, do all the bolt ons first, and once you have gotten a good working knowledge of your car, and what components are needed for what, then re-assess your need for cams.

Later,
Aj
RedKroovy
New ITRCA Member

Post by RedKroovy »

George what kind of bolt ons are you running
98 #0023
You name the vice, I'll name the price.
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

RedKroovy wrote:George what kind of bolt ons are you running
Complete SMS system, header on back, with cat.

Intakes: A custom SMS intake for the test, but I switched back to the Icebox to reduce noise.

Hondata, fuel pressure regulator.