Cobalt GT Sport Brake pads are awesome

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Trey
Site Admin

Cobalt GT Sport Brake pads are awesome

Post by Trey »

Got these just before the Expo from Andie at cobalt friction (http://www.cobaltfriction.com)
I had gotten a set of Axxis Ultimates to replace my Hawk HP+ pads. Figured I would support the sponsors since I kept fussing for everyone else to. I was fairly pleased with the Ultimates after I put some miles on them but was talking to Andie one day and mentioned they didn't have the bite the Hawks did. As expected Andie knew exactly what i meant and had a solution. He suggested i get a set of Cobalt GT Sport pads. I recieved them just before the Expo and had not put them on before last Wednesday. I bedded them in and put some miles on them and before the Auto-X Sunday.

I run Street Mod at the local Auto-X's. These pads did extremely well. They have the bite (or a little better) of the Hawk HP+ but better control/modulation. I am extremely pleased and have found a new brake pad i can run with confidence.

Quick story, I also run timing and Scoring and they had a computer problem. I asked a lady that was there to pull my car forward (We grip in a line and keep pulling forward). I fixed the problem and got back. She looks at me and said, What in the world have you done to this car. I replied, "what do you mean". She said I stood this thing on it's nose. What have you done to those brakes! Handed out a few Cobalt cards I had in the car and went back to racing.

Thanks Andie!
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

yeah, Andie really knows his stuff.

We were using Hawk Blues on our Civic track car up until Andie got his shop up and running, and ever since have been using Cobalt pads, we swear by them. So much so, our car is one of the Cobalt Friction cars.

Any one wanting sickers or brochures or anything, drop me a line, I seem to see Andie a lot...Still havn't convinced him to let me drive his NSX yet though....hahahah

Later,
Aj
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

Andie is great.
He helped re-bed in my GT-R.spec (VR) pads after my first session at the Expo, during which he spent about 45 minutes with me talking brakes, cars, etc.

His knowledge of brakes is tremendous, and you won't find a more customer-oriented person anywhere!
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Re-Bed? how come?
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

Trey wrote:Re-Bed? how come?
Apparently when me and Reid bed in my GT-R.spec (Vr) pads on friday (day before the expo), we didn't do them 'hard enough'. That's what Andie said.

During my first session at BeaveRun, everything was fine till the end of the back straight on the 5th lap. I developed a HUGE shudder, and the car was almost impossible to control, let alone slow down. The next few laps were fun, and I went slower to get more time learning the line instead of going in to examine my brakes.

When I got in, the first words out of my instructor were "warped rotors". I had an extra set, but wanted to see if I could find Andie first.

Me and YOU (trey) went for a walk, "looking for a piece of Andie...". :lol:

When we found him and I introduced myself, I pointed to my car. From about 75 feet away, Andie said "Material Transfer".

Material Transfer?
Apparently a thin film from the pad can be left on the brake rotor. This can be caused from 'stabbing' at the brake pedal instead of being smooth and fluid (which is the correct way!). I must have been unusually jerky on the brakes for a few laps, and as I attempted to threshold brake as I got more comfortable/fast on the track, both front calipers/pads/rotors caused the gigantic shudder due to all the cold spots on the rotor. Scary!

Andie took me and my car out onto PA Rt. 18 and did about 15 100mph-50mph brakes. :shock: All were threshold braking (or close), some induced ABS at first, all left a least a little rubber on the road. :P

For my next five sessions and full day at Gingerman on April 19 (288 total track miles in three days!), I had perfect brakes with no fade, no shudder, and no other problems.

And EVERYONE else thought I was going to be putting on my spare rotors!

Apparently this is very common. Always rebed the pads before changing the rotors unless you are CERTAIN that you have warped rotors.

Andie is the best! :D
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

ah, yes. I recall going to find Andie with you.
Dev
ITRCA Member

WTF

Post by Dev »

WTF :arrow: :evil: How come we cant get any good help in Lowell....al we got is dumbasses who dont speak english and want to sell you hot merchandise. I would kill for a good race shop that knows anything more than "rollin on f'n dubs" :x Anybody in my area have any good connections?
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Dev, Andie is actually 12 hours from me in Ft Lauderdale. He Drove 22 hours to get to the Expo too!

Most Type-R owners are supporting Andie since he in turn supports us so well.

Trey
Dev
ITRCA Member

Post by Dev »

Point taken...damn I should have gone..Its still to bad we dont have more Andies in this area.

Dev
shivers
Site Admin

Post by shivers »

Trey, you running the Cobalt pads everyday or just on track? How's the brake dust? I know the HP+ pads were a tad dusty to say the least. :)
2005 s2000
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

Dev wrote:Point taken...damn I should have gone..Its still to bad we dont have more Andies in this area.

Dev
Dev -
There are no andie's near me either. Most us that are talking about how great Andie Lin/Cobalt is have talked to him on the phone and had our pads/rotors/brake fluilds sent to us. I met Andie at the expo, but had purchased two sets of pads and a set of front rotors before that.

you won't get better customer service in person anywhere. and you definitely won't get better service over the phone or anywhere else than with Andie. He has time for everyone and tons of knowledge/experience to share and help pick the pads that are best suited for you.

Give him a call!

There's no need to go to a local source when you have Andie on the other end of the line helping you out!
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

You're Welcome Chris ;)
Dev
ITRCA Member

Post by Dev »

This guy must be the real thing...Im going to need to do some brake work fairly soon, I am going to check out cobaltfriction.com..tell em the boys at ITRCA sent me!
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

Trey wrote:You're Welcome Chris ;)
:oops:

Thanks Trey, seriously.

I was about to by from another brake pad company when Trey stopped me and my friend Aaron (brewcityR) in our tracks. I am VERY glad he did so.

Plus, Andie was a ITR Expo '03 sponsor.

So besides the fact that he is the best brake pad/etc provider out there, he is an Expo sponsor.... support our sponsors!