spoon 70mm TB

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
champwhite98
New ITRCA Member

spoon 70mm TB

Post by champwhite98 »

Is it worh getting the spoon 70mm tb. I understand its not a true 70mm, it tapers to the stock 62 at the throttle plate. I have a 98 itr with basci bolt-ons, what should i go with?
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I don't think a TB is a worthwhile upgrade for a moderatly modded car and the spoon TB that tapers back down is definitley not one of the TB's I would pick.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

Well I agree that it is not necessary for an engine that is lightly modded, but it is a good piece.

The Taper is there to act like a funnel to streamline the air charge.
Take a common warter hose for example. remove the nozzle on the end and turn on the water FULL blast. water comes out but with no force no velocity. Now take your thumb and cover the end of the hole half way and the velocity increases. Now remember fluid and water have the same properties of flow.
In the intake Charge Air Velocity is a bit more important than Volume of Air.
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

Zodiac R279 wrote:Well I agree that it is not necessary for an engine that is lightly modded, but it is a good piece.

The Taper is there to act like a funnel to streamline the air charge.
Take a common warter hose for example. remove the nozzle on the end and turn on the water FULL blast. water comes out but with no force no velocity. Now take your thumb and cover the end of the hole half way and the velocity increases. Now remember fluid and water have the same properties of flow.
In the intake Charge Air Velocity is a bit more important than Volume of Air.
So what gains did you notice with the Spoon TB?
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Most noticable difference is the throttle response. Gives a better pedal feel and the throttle is more responsive. But I think this is pretty common across the board for larger Bore TB. As for Horse Power Gain??? Hmmm it's hard to say as this was installed as a part of a series of upgrades.

But it makes sense that it will benifit the system. As funneled air/water has better velocity and is less turbulent. Take for instance a filter design Like Akimoto Funnel Ram system or the Velocity Stack that AEM incorporates into their Filter Design.
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

Zodiac R279 wrote:Most noticable difference is the throttle response. Gives a better pedal feel and the throttle is more responsive.
If you want throttle response get a Mugen ECU.

It makes a far greater difference than the Spoon TB.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Reid wrote:
Zodiac R279 wrote:Most noticable difference is the throttle response. Gives a better pedal feel and the throttle is more responsive.
If you want throttle response get a Mugen ECU.

It makes a far greater difference than the Spoon TB.
You mean a genuine Mugen ECU which is about 3 times the price of a Spoon 70mm TB...

Is it that much of a difference? Seriously is it worth the additional 800-1000 dollars? (I got my Spoon 70mm tb for about 200 bux from Spoon on a trade in with the Stock TB)
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

Zodiac R279 wrote:Is it that much of a difference? Seriously is it worth the additional 800-1000 dollars? (I got my Spoon 70mm tb for about 200 bux from Spoon on a trade in with the Stock TB)
If you track your car and do not plan to use aftermarket cams, the Mugen ECU is a great buy.

I did not notice any gain from my Spoon T/B.
itr2k587
New ITRCA Member

Re: spoon 70mm TB

Post by itr2k587 »

anyone know anything about the str 70mm throttle body?

would a throttle body upgrade make power on a boosted itr?