exhaust

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
ITR99
New ITRCA Member

exhaust

Post by ITR99 »

What kind of exhaust do u guys use?
I sat in a type R with an exhaust and intake and the noise inside the car is just like sitting in a jetfighter...I cannot even hear the music and what my friend was speaking. Is that just how loud the exhaust is? Is there any exhaust that is not so loud?
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Re: exhaust

Post by George Knighton »

ITR99 wrote:What kind of exhaust do u guys use?
I sat in a type R with an exhaust and intake and the noise inside the car is just like sitting in a jetfighter...I cannot even hear the music and what my friend was speaking. Is that just how loud the exhaust is? Is there any exhaust that is not so loud?
SMS Products: 540 287 6384

He's always backed up a bit because of how popular his headers and exhausts have become, but tell him what you're after and he will come up with something.

Yes, it's what I have on my car, from the header all the way back.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

This is another one of those subjective opinions where there really isn't a right answer. Although it may not make the most power, I run a Mugen exhaust, and absolutely love the sound, and wouldn't trade it for the world. Nice and deep, not to mention quiet.

But, again, a matter of prefference, and what you're looking for out of an exhaust.

Later,
Aj
swtxaznrac3r
ITRCA Member

Post by swtxaznrac3r »

I know i didn't start this post but i prob would in the future so i might as well ask now. What if you are looking for max performance? what kind of exhaust do u recommend? Thanks!

NT
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Hahahahaa......two inch straight pipe.......jk......it depends on what kinds of modifications you have done. Most commonly you will see three inch exhausts or larger on any style forced induction car, and even some all motor cars. For the most part though, on most all motor cars, you'll be better off with some sort of 2.5 inch exhaust, usually either a japanese exhaust like Fujitsobo or the Jap spec single pass version of the Mugen, or something along those lines, either that, or something from a company like Hytech or SMSP. It all depends on what you're looking to accomplish...

Later,
Aj
ITR99
New ITRCA Member

what I am looking for

Post by ITR99 »

I want an exhaust that can improve hp, a subtle deep sound like those exhaust on euro cars, nothing too loud. I know that even the same exhaust bolted onto the R is going to be louder cause the sound deadening material is gone. So I guess Mugen is a very quiet exhaust which would suit my needs then? How much is it and where can I get one?
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, the only authorized distributor in the states is King motorsports, and last I checked, they had them for like $975, though if you look on ebay, I found mine there new in teh box for $700 and change shipped, which was a great deal in my opinion.

You may also, for about the same price want to talk to Dave or John at SMSP and Hytech, they both do custom exhausts, and actually, I've seen a twin loop design that John from Hytech did, that was gorgeous, and from my understanding performed very well.

There are exhausts out there that perform far better than the Mugen, it just happens in my opinion sound the best, and doesn't drone at all...

Any way, I got a final in Five hours, and need some sleep....

Later,
Aj
Trey
Site Admin

Re: what I am looking for

Post by Trey »

ITR99 wrote:I want an exhaust that can improve hp, a subtle deep sound like those exhaust on euro cars, nothing too loud. I know that even the same exhaust bolted onto the R is going to be louder cause the sound deadening material is gone. So I guess Mugen is a very quiet exhaust which would suit my needs then? How much is it and where can I get one?
From what I have seen quiet and power is best served in the SMS Products exhaust. It elimiates the bottole necks alot of the exhausts have. I like the design of the Mugen Twin Loop but have seen a cut away and it necks down a good bit.

Another setup I would consider is a Buddy Club B-pipe and Buddy Club or Spoon Axel back with Silencer. These parts are 63mm ID.

Also if the car you were in had an intake and it was an AEM that was likely 50% or more of the noise you heard. This and the fact power is not compromised is why I run the Comptech Icebox.
ITR99
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR99 »

I am pretty sure it was the exhaust that was annoying cause I sat on his car before without adding the exhaust (with intake) and another time with aftermarket header and exhaust. I don't think header produces any noise, rite? So I guess it must be the exhaust.

Here are the stuff that he has that would produce sounds:
ARC Intake Air Box
ARC Air Treatment Pipe
Maxim Works 4-2-1 Headers (Wrapped w/Cool-It Tape)
Spoon Throttle Intake
Spoon N1 Exhaust

Is the N1 exhaust just really louder than the other ones?
swtxaznrac3r
ITRCA Member

Post by swtxaznrac3r »

Let me rephrase my ques...I just got my R about a month ago. I am still in the "planning stage." Right now, i plan on an AEM CAI (unless u guys recommend something else), then do more research and go from there. My R will in a yr or 2 be very highly modded (bored to 2.0 L, etc..). As for exahust, I want the max performance. I could care less about the sound. I plan to put a silencer on it anyway (yes i want a sleeper). :twisted:

Thanks for your help!!! Props to AJ for always helpin me!!!
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

swtxaznrac3r wrote: My R will in a yr or 2 be very highly modded (bored to 2.0 L, etc..). As for exahust, I want the max performance. I could care less about the sound. I plan to put a silencer on it anyway (yes i want a sleeper).
My advice, again, would be to call David at SMSP and explain to him what you want. He has headers and exhausts on H2 Honda Challenge ITR, and exhausts on any variety of street ITR.

Just tell him what you want, and he can come up with something.
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

George Knighton wrote:
swtxaznrac3r wrote: My R will in a yr or 2 be very highly modded (bored to 2.0 L, etc..). As for exahust, I want the max performance. I could care less about the sound. I plan to put a silencer on it anyway (yes i want a sleeper).
My advice, again, would be to call David at SMSP and explain to him what you want. He has headers and exhausts on H2 Honda Challenge ITR, and exhausts on any variety of street ITR.

Just tell him what you want, and he can come up with something.
Like I said earlier today in another thread, loud does not equal power/fast.

A silencer does not make you sleeper, btw. It's very obvious looking, AND it the sound is very distinctive. You want to look stock? Contact Dave at SMSP like George said.

Exhaust is really not something that is going to make you tons of power. You'd be better off spending big money elsewhere if you feel the need to spend big money at all. larger diameter is not necessarily better, exhaust velocity is important, very important, and that topic is WAY over my head so I'll shut up.

What the smart guys above have suggested is also my suggestion.
itr
ITRCA Member

Post by itr »

aj

you know how the mugen exhaust came with a gasket and a metal ring. i was just wondering what that ring was for????
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

The ring...it's the, well, I guess you could call it gasket...It's actually a compression ring for the cat/test pipe, similar to what's used on the JG header to connect the two halves of the header. If you pull off your exhaust and look at the flange on the cat, you'll see the same ring, assuming you have a stock cat, or well made aftermarket one. I left the one that came on mine on it, as I'm sure there is an easy way to get the old ring out, but I really didn't have the patience, and after a little fidgeting, I gave up...No exhaust leaks, so I guess I'm ok...Any way, I really don't have a better explanation than that....

Later,
Aj
itr
ITRCA Member

Post by itr »

so we dont really need the ring
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Hahahahah....wel I guess that all depends whether or not you have an exhaust leak after you put it all back togather...

If you can change it, do so, if not, dont worry about it unless you have to...

Later,
Aj