New Owner

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
ScottBell
New ITRCA Member

New Owner

Post by ScottBell »

Greetings everyone,

I've been telling myself for years that if I ever found a car like BudMan’s I would jump on it. I had a 98 ITR stolen about 3 months after I got her. They had 5 on the lot in San Antonio when I got mine. I wish I would have bought all of them so I could pull out a new one every 5 years or so.

The thieves were not quick enough to keep me from getting one track day in. I've been hooked on the cars ever since, but once I got to the point I could afford a new toy I couldn't find the right car. Lots of cars with track setups that didn't look particularly well prepped, expensive original cars, and street performance setups that make you want to touch the car with rubber gloves because you don't know where they have been. None of which are good candidates for a track car prepped around the IT rules philosophy.

So I've been telling myself for years that if I found a nicely done ITR it wouldn't be for sale for long. And then there she was. I was planning a road trip this to go look at some Lotus Elises, because that was the only thing I was getting excited about as a track car. I decided to scan some race car sale sites before making final plans. Well, plans canceled. I agreed to buy the car the day I saw the ad

I've been an on and off again club racer and track junkie for 20 years, and when I take a break I'm always looking for the next car. I plan on running the car in a lot of DE's and enough races to keep my SCCA license, plus some of the run-what-you-brung series the local track puts on.

But, those plans might change. I told a super fast, very race experienced friend about the car today. It turns out he is taking next year off from his super fast kart racing and is probably interested in some kind of co-drive. Its not so much about splitting expenses, but having him on board will open up access to a lot of professional level experts to help develop the car. So if that works out we will probably show up where ever we can find a race. If not, you will see me around Houston, Memphis and Barber once in a while.

So, I got to get ready to get the car. Of course, Mr. Beater Pickup just had to turn in his retirement papers during the physical at the shop today. Bad timing, but it gives me an excuse to pick up the successor. Beater Pickup VI has been sitting the bench, but I've been keeping my eye on him. A stormy day at the used car lot is a good time to buy, and if you are looking for a diesel in this market you can start at 1/2 what they are asking. So now at least I can have a turbo on the tow if not on the track.

So, I’m a ITR owner once again. I might need a moderator to help explain to the wife how this is all somehow reasonable.
Dave_B

Re: New Owner

Post by Dave_B »

Well damn!!! Congrats. Glad to see the car is staying with someone who will apprecaite it.

Now help me sell mine!!! :)

It's in the Cars for Sale section if you know anyone looking.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

So glad to see a caR I personally love go to good hands. I knew Jeff wouldnt let us or the caR down.

IF you ever plan on selling the ATS Comp LIte wheels that you got in the deal PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I have been trying to buy them for year's now. :D
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

get RIGHT wrote:So glad to see a caR I personally love go to good hands. I knew Jeff wouldnt let us or the caR down.

IF you ever plan on selling the ATS Comp LIte wheels that you got in the deal PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I have been trying to buy them for year's now. :D
Wow Shawn - that took you all of 5 minutes to try & pimp slap those ATS wheels from Scott - hehehe

Boys - Scott is going to turn this car into a mean machine. He doesn't have the lazy bone I did...I'm sure it will be on a diet rather quickly. :lol:
ScottBell
New ITRCA Member

Post by ScottBell »

I dont think the car is going on a super diet just yet. I kinda like the windows, untill I can find/afford the closed trailer I want. I'm planning on shaking down the car in the Grand Bayou Road Racing Series which runs bracket classes. I'm afraid the car might be too fast for their fastest bracket so some weight might stay on for now.

My personal diet got off to a good start yesterday. I think I sweated off two pounds dealing with a stupid oil pressure sender. Jeff's electric pressure sender was bad, so I went to the race suppy house to get another. Of course they have every Autometer sender in the book, except for the one I need. I was thinking some really bad thoughts after I put a mechanical gauge on the car and had zero oil pressure. Turns out the new gauge was bad out of the box, so after another trip to the shop all appears well.

That wasted all the time I was planning on using to scale the car. Today is going to have to be grass cutting and house work. Maybe it will rain and I can work on the car some more. I still have to build some roll on platforms for the scales and dig through the tubs to find the spanner wrench for the spring perch (is there one, Jeff?) I've got 3 days of vacation left and not a lot of other time before a DE on Labor Day weekend.
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

BudMan wrote:
Wow Shawn - that took you all of 5 minutes to try & pimp slap those ATS wheels from Scott - hehehe
LMAO. Just in case you had any doubts of how serious I was. :P :mrgreen:
Doespike
Half way to a cool title.

Post by Doespike »

Congrats on the pickup! Good to see Jeff's kaa being put to good use so soon :!: I look forward to hearing your conquests :P and seeing some PICS! :lol:

Hope to see you at Expo someday 8)
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
ScottBell
New ITRCA Member

Post by ScottBell »

Well it didn't rain today, but I got the grass cut AND managed to get my platforms made. I sure do miss all the trick setup stuff we used to have back in "the day," but I cant justify $5k for a setup platform to do one car. So, its a level, some string, and a good tape measure for now.

I put the level down on the floor and to my disapointment my garage is at least an inch out. Tomorrow I guess I get to make what the Brits call a "flat patch" for setting up the car. I probably should post some pictures on how to do that, but I don't have any web hosting available. Maybe I'll actually get the car on the scales before I have to go back to work Friday.

The nice UPS man did bring me 10 very sweet smelling new race tires today. I should have enough of those to last me for a while, so I guess I will spill some info to the group. Frisby tire has 205/50 15 Handcook Ventus Z214 in the hard compund they used for the pro Miata series last year for $86 each. Looks like a great track day tire, just don't buy the last 6 in case I want some more of them.

Also, got a race oil cooler on the way. Greddy has a 10 row kit that you can get for about $550. Sounds expensive, but by the time you add up all the plumbing their price is way cheaper. Plus you don't have to worry about fabing up all the hoses and brackets.

Looking for a bump steer graph for the stock suspension and the motion ratio's for the shocks. Anyone run across this info on-line?

I've got to say how impressed I am about how well Jeff took care of the car. Super clean on the underside, no crushed jack points, no big scrapes. If you didn't look at the odo you would think it had 30k miles.
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

ScottBell wrote: I've got to say how impressed I am about how well Jeff took care of the car. Super clean on the underside, no crushed jack points, no big scrapes. If you didn't look at the odo you would think it had 30k miles.
We can vouch for that. :D

BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Scott - I'm glad you are enjoying the car. It's gotta be lovin you...you're taking such good care of her!

Hopefully you found the shock wrenches & have received the microphone by now.

FYI - for you, I will gladly provide web hosting on http://www.nocoastracing.com. It's my personal site that has some other friends using space. If you are a web guy I'll hoooooook you up. That let's me keep track of my OLD car ;)

I had to throw 1 last WeTodd Salute in here:

For me - it's corvette hunting... I was looking for a C5, but I think I just found a decent C4 beater to play with. It's all ready for a good track day or two. I think 1 of the rear tires has about as much meat as 2 R tires put together! (17x11 rear Grand Sport rims on rear & 17x 9.5 front = OUCH!)
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

Dammit Jeff. It seems like everybody is getting a Vette. They are so cheap right now.
Did you keep the blueprints of your aluminum splitter build by chance?

Scott, saw your questions about a K motor on that other site. Dont do it!!!~!!
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Scott has a template for the splitter + the actual splitter on the car.

As for a vette...I just bought a '94 with GrandSport wheels this afternoon. Nothin' fancy, just a car ready for an hpde:

Includes ALL original parts, PLUS:

Power Effects Exhaust
Chromed Exhuast Tips
AFS Chrome Grand Sport Wheels
17x9.5 Front / 17x11 Rear
Goodyear GSC-D1 Tires <10,000 Miles
275/40-17 Front / 315/35-17 Rear
Factory Service Manual Set
Haynes Service Manual
Chromed Front / Rear Emblems
Grand Sport Front Brake Calipers
SS Brake Lines
Performance Friction street/track pads
CAGS Skip Shift Eliminator (Priceless)
Professional Window Tint (20%R / 35% F)
Mini-Bra Nose Cover
Taillight Blackout Covers
Front Turn Signal Blackout Covers
Alarm w/Window Control
Magnecor Spark Plug Wires
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Upgraded Optispark to ’96 Style
K & N Airfilter
Every 3,000 Miles – Mobil 1 Oil/Filter
Owners Manual / Key Fob
Clean Carfax – Never Damaged
Same Owner – Last 10 Years

oh yea - the smoked glass AND white targa top!
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

^^ Nice Jeff.
You need to bring it out to Fast Friday with me before the end of October. :mrgreen:
ScottBell
New ITRCA Member

Post by ScottBell »

get RIGHT wrote:Dammit Jeff. It seems like everybody is getting a Vette. They are so cheap right now.
Did you keep the blueprints of your aluminum splitter build by chance?

Scott, saw your questions about a K motor on that other site. Dont do it!!!~!!

Whats a K motor? What site? The only motor I'm looking for is a B18C5 core for a reasonable price....

The JIC setup from the car is available after Labor Day weekend if anyone wants to put dibbs.
ScottBell
New ITRCA Member

Post by ScottBell »

Also, it looks like the 09 racing program is going to be Performance Touring in NASA Texas.

That means some parts swap around.

I need the lower mount bracket for the power steering pump. Goes form the block to the bottom of the PS pump. Anyone want to sell/give/loan one to me?

For future SCCA reasons I'm looking for the non A/C front motor bracket off a 97/98. I figure a thousand of those got tossed in the dealer's trash when they did the a/c installs :(
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

ScottBell wrote:

Whats a K motor? What site? The only motor I'm looking for is a B18C5 core for a reasonable price....
Phew..... thats a relief. I must have got you confused with someone else. A K motor is what would come in the current Civic Type R.

Glad to hear she is going to remain true to her roots. :D
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

ScottBell wrote:
Whats a K motor?
Well to be more specific... The B Series (1.6 &1.8L) was the motor for the Civic Si, DelSol and Integra. The K series (2.0& 2.4L) motor has replaced the B for most of Honda/Acura cars that have a 4cyl in them since 02, possible a little before.
swed
ScottBell
New ITRCA Member

Post by ScottBell »

Ah, thats the motor in my Civic Si. Good motor great Tq. for what it is. NOT a swap I would consider.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Scott... if your interested... I've got a factory long block FS... $3200 shipped to your door... totally legit with info from dealership.

BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Scott - if you are interested in Dave_B's offer:

Dave is goooooood people. I know you are new here, so hollar anytime if you need to know whether someone is full o'crap or not.

You got my number! :lol:
ScottBell
New ITRCA Member

Post by ScottBell »

Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a core motor.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

ScottBell wrote:Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a core motor.
Core motor = short block? Meaning are you just looking for the rotating assembly? Block, crank, pistons, rods? The bottom end?

get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

ScottBell wrote:Ah, thats the motor in my Civic Si. Good motor great Tq. for what it is. NOT a swap I would consider.
Thats the one. I am glad to hear. :mrgreen:
typeRlegend
New ITRCA Member

Post by typeRlegend »

Thats a nice looking car. If you don't pick that motor up I'll have to see if my brother is ready to buy a motor. Our shell is empty!
ScottBell
New ITRCA Member

Post by ScottBell »

typeRlegend wrote:Thats a nice looking car. If you don't pick that motor up I'll have to see if my brother is ready to buy a motor. Our shell is empty!

What motor? Argh, does someone have my user name on anoter forum? Just to clarify my daily driver is an 06 civic si, the race car gets to have two motors.