Transmission oil change question

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
typeruz
New ITRCA Member

Transmission oil change question

Post by typeruz »

i have 35K on the odometer, and i think it's time to change the tranny oil. should i use OEM oil or Redline MTL oil ??? i want maximal protection and nice/smooth shifting.
if i do get OEM, which one??? does the regular honda OEM tranny oil have the LSD additive????

thanks everyone!!!
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Honda OEM MTF is the best option. There have been reported problems if you don't get the right Redline and OEM fluid works fine.

Trey
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Honda MTF

Post by Jan Niemi »

Definitely without a doubt go with the Honda MTF (you need 3quarts) the owner's manual tells you 2. something , but you want 3 quarts in there. I've used other brands, and get synchro grind, with the Honda MTF it's virtually nonexistent. Highly Recommended!!!!!!!!
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

Another vote for Honda MTF here.

:)

There are too many bad stories from people who've used something else.
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

Honda MTF for sure.

Others (well documented on Honda-Tech.com) have used GM Synchromesh with great success. I can't say from personal experience though.

personally, i'd stick with Honda MTF.

If you have persistent and unbearable grinding during shifts, possibly try GM Synchromesh as a last-ditch effort before you go buy new synchros.
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

Used Castrol Syntec 5w50 in all my Honda trannys and never a problem...including my ITR which has 80,000km and ran Syntec since 10k.

Here at the shop, we install either Syntec, Redline MTL or Lightweight Shockproof for racers...again NO PROBLEMS....

But people will use what they feel comfortable with.

BTW, I have traced many shifting problems to leaking slave cylinders and masters.......when they start to fail....it seems like the syptoms most people talk about....
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

As long as you stick with 10w30, you should be ok, synthetic or otherwise, it really doesn't matter...But, best thing if you don't want to worry about it is MTF....

Others I'd recomend Motul 10w30 which Erick's racing recomended, and that KaAz gear oil that is way over priced...

Later,
Aj
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

I used 10w30 Castrol Syntec and LUCAS transmission additive. The first few times I drove the tranny it seemed like a brand new Tranny. I have to attribute it to the Lucas. It's really Messy to put it in but it works very well. the thing is that effects of the lucas seem short lived as the transmission heats up the oil begins to thin and the trans mission didn't feel as tight as it did just after the lucas was put in.

My question is the if the manual says that the tranny will hold 2.3quarts how do you get 3 quarts in there? after it gets to a certain level it just leaks out through the fill hole.
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Re: Transmission oil change question

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

I run Redline MTL in mine and haven't had any problems. Little more spendy then the Honda MTF though.

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

e r i c s 9 9 s i wrote:I run Redline MTL in mine and haven't had any problems. Little more spendy then the Honda MTF though.
As do I.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

Zodiac R279 wrote:My question is the if the manual says that the tranny will hold 2.3quarts how do you get 3 quarts in there? after it gets to a certain level it just leaks out through the fill hole.
One could fill the transmission with the drain plug in place, so that more fluid can be put in it.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

Just pull the VSS out of the top of the trans (speed sensor) and use a long funnel.
ITR862
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR862 »

Two chemicals you should always get at Honda are Honda MTF and Hondabond.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Jan Niemi wrote:Just pull the VSS out of the top of the trans (speed sensor) and use a long funnel.
Is this a good practice? What would be the problem with over filling the transmission? I mean .7 quarts is not a lot, but there is some reason that Honda says 2.3 quarts???
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

Auto manufacturers always try to find ways to minimize the amount of fluid they put into cars (I'm a fluid fill test engineer). They will find the exact point where the level will be just enough to serve it's purpose. Even a fraction of a liter multiplied by let's say several thousand cars per day adds up to millions per year. I get less synchro grind when I use 3 quarts as opposed to 2.3. I change the fluid every time after I go to the strip.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Cool, I think I will do that too. What do you all think About Lucas. They say it's safe for all transmissions. If you're not familar with the product it is very thick Like honey. It coats the metal parts and works through all the gears and Syncros etc etc. Now Like I said Earlier after it heats up it seems to loose it's effectiveness. I use the oil additive in my engine and love it. But I am not sure what to make of the tranny fluid additive.
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

After 73,000 miles on a heavily tracked ITR and a gearbox that still performs faultlessly, it's hard to believe there's any point in paying for anything other than Honda MTF.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

I hear ya, but I wasn't the original owner of this car and the tranny is kinda noisy so the lucas seems to quiet it down a bit. I am going to try to add some extra fluid to see if that helps as well.
hondafanatic
New ITRCA Member

Post by hondafanatic »

someone please explain how you can fill the tranny with the fill plug and the drain plug in. This is what would be required to facilitate the claimed 3 quart filling mentioned earlier.

the way i see it.

1. you remove the drain plug.
2. reinsert drainplug.
3. pull fill plug
4. pour oil in fill hole
5. it overflows and you are at the spec level

is there another higher hole you can fill the tranny though? am I missing something?