Time for the conversion

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Time for the conversion

Post by Type R 98 »

hey guys, i would like to know if there is any good deals in the US on Conversions that ship to canada... im looking to spend 3000 us MAX on the conversion kit...(that would most likely include a carbon fiber hood) i know aj you were talking about 2200 US, but thats in florida so i would need to send too much money by mail and its way far to pick up for me up in freezing quebec, so my best bet would be anyone selling conversions in the upper states, like maine, vermont, michigan(especially michigan).. hell otherwise ill go to california on the way back from british columbia and get it shipped from there if anyone knows a good spot to order from there... also.. i would like to know whats the real deal with HID with black housing or black housing alone.. whats the difference except the lightning effect if anything?

thanks alot
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

JDM conversion

Post by Aj »

I'm not exactly sure how much shipping would be, although, I'm sure that if you send anything from the states via truck freight rather than UPS or Fed-Ex, you'll save your self hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I sent my whole motor via truck freight including an extra head and a couple boxes. The total came up to $177.86 from South Florida to Forth Worth Texas, I also got quotes at the time from UPS and Fed-Ex who wanted well over $800 and that was contingent on me bringing the pallete to them becuase they wouldn't pick it up from the shop...The name of the truck frieght company I used was SAIA motor frieght...they were ver careful with everything and the motor got there in three days, two days earlier than promised...I'd definitely recomend them.

As far as the difference between the black housing HIDs and the normal black housing headlights, there really isn't much difference, except for the fact that once you try and do the conversion, if you get the OEM hids, you need to bend some A/C lines on your driver side as well as take a heat gun to your washer resivoir in order to make enough room for the ballasts...Shy of that, the OEM hids are a bit brighter than most after market, or at least the aftermarket one that I had on previously. The nice thing about the non-hid headlights, is that you can use your existing bulbs and harnesses, where with the OEM hids, you need to solder on the JDM harness clip...

As far as shops in the northern US that sell the JDM fronts, I really can't think of any off the top of my head, but you might want to call A&J racing, they're up in Canada, and they're actually the US's only liscenced distributor for Spoon Sports, so if you see anything from Spoon, it was bought or wholesaled through them originally.

A&J racing's web site is http://www.aj-racing.com

I think they're up by Vancouver, but not sure, so here's there digits if you need directions: 604.279.0329

They have some really trick stuff that's worth checking out either way...

Good luck,
Aj
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

thanks a bunch. so would you recommend HID or regular if i dont have AC?
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

I'd honestly recomend the OEM ones either way...I was saying that they are a little more difficult to install, although, more than likely, it's your body shop that'll have to deal with it any way...Either way, keep in mind, that the OEM hids are really expensive, if you're looking for them new, you should expect to pay in excess of 2G's...your best bet is to find a shop that sell used front ends, that's how I got mine so cheap...almost always the pannels need to be repainted, but unles your car is white, it doesn't really matter any ways...I think that A&J racing has the front end conversion new in the box for like $5,000 canadian, or like $3,333.33 US. Just keep in mind, that's for the non-hid housings.

Later,
Aj
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I wouldn't waste the money on the OEM HID's. I have the phillips 8k in my car and love them. They put the s2000 HID's to shame if you ask me.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

umm i can get the hid's for 2200 us in the box, id rather travel and go to california then pay 2000... at least ill get to see what im paying for and hopefyll bring it back if I taped the hood to my car top LOL
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Believe it or not, the whole conversion wil fit in the trunk of an ITR if positioned correctly....

We did it...just a matter of stacking stuff in the right order.....

Later,
Aj
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

hehehe... well im not putting that millage on my itr so i was wondering aj how much does the conversion kit approximatly weight you think? the shipping compagny is asking me so i don't have to drive up there.. :)
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, I really have no clue, but if I were to guess, I'd say no more than like 170lbs total..., it's not really weight so much, it's just the fact that it's all awkwardly shaped and very big...

I'd imagine that any place that sells them would be able to tell you their approximate combined weight...

Later,
Aj