Is the ITR exhaust manifold the same as a GSR?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Is the ITR exhaust manifold the same as a GSR?

Post by fredtoast »

I just took my ITR (98 US) in for a cracked exhaust manifold. The guy replaced it with a used one off of a GSR. He said that they were the same. Is this true? If not, then how are they different. I trust this guy, and I don't want to go demanding my ITR manifold without saying exactly why. Thanks for any info.
98-0658
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

They're not only different, I don't know how he took one off a GS-R, as it wouldn't fit on an ITR???? I think perhaps just the top piece might, though I've never tried...but for sure the bottom piece is a different length due to the cat...or at least mine didn't fit on my friend Mike's 96 GS-R...Either way, it doesn't flow as well, and doesn't have the same size primaries or anything else for that matter...I think in this case you placed your trust in the wrong person...

Some one correct me if I'm wrong???

Later,
Aj
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

00-01 GSR header will bolt onto 97-01 ITR
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

But it is a different header...correct????
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

I found out that the top piece of the manifold is the same, but the lower part is different. I don't know about the length, but on the ITR where the two pipes merge into one the pipes are straight and form a "V". On the GSR they are slightly curved and form more of a "U" shape. I'm going to find out if he just replaced the top part.
98-0658
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

I'm sure he replaced just the top part. :) Otherwise, it wouldn't have fit the rest of your exhaust.

There are a lot of aftermarket headers that have no difference between the GS-R and ITR headers, or if there is a difference it's only the bracket for the support to the block.
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

Follow up. My mechanic had just replaced the upper section of the header. It is the same as on a GSR.
98-0658
mydc2200
New ITRCA Member

Post by mydc2200 »

only the pipe size is different, but it will fit