what does stock JR supercharger mean?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
teddyblank
New ITRCA Member

what does stock JR supercharger mean?

Post by teddyblank »

ive heard people say they have ran stock JR supercharger and gained 50whp or something like that...

Now from what i know about Jackson Racing superchargers is that they can be put on a stock ITR without any modifications (other than hondata tuning). unlike turbo which needs interal changes like pistons, cam shafts etc.

So is that what it means? and is it really possible to just buy a JRSC and bolt it on to an ITR, tune it and have a little more power?
coolhandluke
401R

Re: what does stock JR supercharger mean?

Post by coolhandluke »

I don't know how to respond without sounding like a complete jackass.

With any car in theory, you could install a turbo, procharger, or super charger without any internal modifications.

I would not recommend supercharging due to their maintenance issues. Most here that have run a supercharger have eventually removed them and returned the caR back to NA. To be far, I also wouldn't recommend turbo but that's because it doesn't fit my goals or aspirations. To remain fair, there are others that have also removed their turbo to return the car to NA.

It seems as though you are new to these forced induction concepts. I would really recommend more more into the subjects and discover the pros and cons to each. As with anything, you can literally spend as much money in all the different areas. Here is a solid rule of thumb for forced induction (Turbo, procharger, super charger) and NA:

Cheap, Fast, Reliable, pick two.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

A "stock JR supercharger" prob meant on a stock motor. It does pretty much just bolt on.

coolhandluke wrote:Cheap, Fast, Reliable, pick two.

Let me clean that up:

Cheap and Fast wont be Reliable
Reliable and Cheap wont be Fast
Fast and Reliable wont be Cheap
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
heel_touge
New ITRCA Member

Post by heel_touge »

in the context the OP put it in they mean "stock" as in off the shelf pully and no massaging of any of the JR manifold.

so the superchager is unmodified in any way. thats how its worded.
lll l ll llll l ll ll
l00001051l
teddyblank
New ITRCA Member

Post by teddyblank »

id REALLY love to get the JR supercharger for that extra 58 whp. and low RPM torque, but i dont want it if its gonna lower the life of my car. from what ive read it wont affect the life of the engine at all.

The only changes i wanna make to my car are to put the supercharger on it, get it tuned with Hondata S300, MAYBE a Mugen air intake system and thats really it. is it fine to do this without running the engine in 2 years? i plan on using it till its around 200k miles, right now it has 85k miles on it.
BoostR41
ITRCA Member

Post by BoostR41 »

teddyblank wrote:id REALLY love to get the JR supercharger for that extra 58 whp. and low RPM torque, but i dont want it if its gonna lower the life of my car. from what ive read it wont affect the life of the engine at all.

The only changes i wanna make to my car are to put the supercharger on it, get it tuned with Hondata S300, MAYBE a Mugen air intake system and thats really it. is it fine to do this without running the engine in 2 years? i plan on using it till its around 200k miles, right now it has 85k miles on it.
superchargers put off A LOT of heat. the JRSC isnt intercooled so it needs tuned well and wont make as much power as a FI set up with IC. I ran my stock motor with the exception of inline pro head gasket for 3 years and when I pulled it apart it was still running strong. I was making over 300whp with my turbo set up and ran up to 17psi on race gas with that gasket. I also made more power than any JRSC would and made boost almost as fast. here is my old dyno sheet. on 11psi I did 242whp with that set up back then on a crappy fuel system and stock exhaust. if you want a FI car here is my suggestion.

From your posts you dont seem to want to make a lot of power so:
GT28RS turbo
some type of ramhorn mani(full race, RLD Fab, etc)
use a precision IC
Use a tial wastegate. size doesnt matter so much with a low HP set up so chose the best in your budget and make sure you pic the right spring for it too
get a hondata
255lph fuel pump
get precision injectors too(go with 880cc just to make sure you ahve the fuel and hondata can dial em back anyway)
to be safe do the inline pro head gasket(it is 3mm thick which lowers compression a full point)

with tuning I would say you would have 3500 or so in a set up with all new stuff. if you wanna go the route I did and save a few bucks get a greddy kit and ditch the emanage and get the hondata and bigger injectors. you can find a used good condition greddy kit for under 1500 bucks. I sold mine for 2000 with a custom downpipe.

edit: I also know of a good many ITRs that couldnt crack 200whp with the 5.5psi pulley on the JRSC. they had to go up to a 8psi pulley even with stock compression
#98-0041 SOLD
556whp 399wtq
11.77@130mph full interior 23psi on M&H dot tires

11.010@130mph on slicks 25psi
best MPH- 132mph
teddyblank
New ITRCA Member

Post by teddyblank »

how much whp would i expect with those changes? and did u say i could get all that for 3500? that sounds very unlikely at least to the sources ive seen. hondata s300s are around 1000 dollars alone right? how much is the GT28RS turbo?

Also i saw a place that had the GT28RS turbos and it had 2 options for "turbine housing" 0.86 A/R and 0.64 A/R. what do those mean and which do i want?

also if u can give me a link to a good ramhorn manifold for my car id apprecaite it. as well as a good place to get an intercooler
BoostR41
ITRCA Member

Post by BoostR41 »

teddyblank wrote:how much whp would i expect with those changes? and did u say i could get all that for 3500? that sounds very unlikely at least to the sources ive seen. hondata s300s are around 1000 dollars alone right? how much is the GT28RS turbo?

Also i saw a place that had the GT28RS turbos and it had 2 options for "turbine housing" 0.86 A/R and 0.64 A/R. what do those mean and which do i want?

also if u can give me a link to a good ramhorn manifold for my car id apprecaite it. as well as a good place to get an intercooler
shop around but a s300 is about 600 right now and you can pick up a used S200 really cheap with all the boost options.

the .64ar will spool faster but the .82ar will flow better for more horsepower as boost is increased

try rld fab for a manifold. Ron made mine and it is a great manifold. tempest racing is great too and Joe is a great guy. also dont be afraid to find some decent used stuff too. I have a used wastegate and BOV on my car right now.

as for power you cant just guess at it. the power and reliablity are all in the tune
#98-0041 SOLD
556whp 399wtq
11.77@130mph full interior 23psi on M&H dot tires

11.010@130mph on slicks 25psi
best MPH- 132mph
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

Im not seeing that set up you just posted for $3500 either BoostR41. Were you talking about a Greddy kit with the few changes coming out to that much? I dont even see THAT being that cheap. Closer to $4500 I would think. A simple turbo set up running 9-10 psi will net you around 300-315whp pretty easy without having to touch the motor.

A thicker head gasket isnt really needed and not going to help much (unless you have a turner who's scared to tune at your current comp ratio).

Search some of my old topics in the section...I have broken down my past set ups for the most basic of basic turbo setups (5.5psi making 256whp) to my current all out set up (making upward of 500whp at only 21psi)

If you have any other questions just ask away. :)

Edit:

Teddy also where are you located at? I'll help you find a good tuner in your area.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

i take it you swapped out your stock itr pistons? wat compression pistons do you have?
"Racing a domestic is like racing in the special Olympics.
Even if you win, your still retarded."
ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

BoostR41 wrote: superchargers put off A LOT of heat. the JRSC isnt intercooled so it needs tuned well and wont make as much power as a FI set up with IC. I ran my stock motor with the exception of inline pro head gasket for 3 years and when I pulled it apart it was still running strong. I was making over 300whp with my turbo set up and ran up to 17psi on race gas with that gasket. I also made more power than any JRSC would and made boost almost as fast. here is my old dyno sheet. on 11psi I did 242whp with that set up back then on a crappy fuel system and stock exhaust. if you want a FI car here is my suggestion.

From your posts you dont seem to want to make a lot of power so:
GT28RS turbo
some type of ramhorn mani(full race, RLD Fab, etc)
use a precision IC
Use a tial wastegate. size doesnt matter so much with a low HP set up so chose the best in your budget and make sure you pic the right spring for it too
get a hondata
255lph fuel pump
get precision injectors too(go with 880cc just to make sure you ahve the fuel and hondata can dial em back anyway)
to be safe do the inline pro head gasket(it is 3mm thick which lowers compression a full point)

with tuning I would say you would have 3500 or so in a set up with all new stuff. if you wanna go the route I did and save a few bucks get a greddy kit and ditch the emanage and get the hondata and bigger injectors. you can find a used good condition greddy kit for under 1500 bucks. I sold mine for 2000 with a custom downpipe.

edit: I also know of a good many ITRs that couldnt crack 200whp with the 5.5psi pulley on the JRSC. they had to go up to a 8psi pulley even with stock compression
my last post was about your "turbo parts list" for a turbo build. You'll def need to put in lower compression pistons...right? i mean there is no way u'll be able to push over 9psi at the most with stock compression.

as far as the JRSC heat problem goes....check out this link http://www.lhtperformance.net/Superchar ... rades.html you send in your JRSC manifold and they use it to make an intercooler outta it to help reduce the heat and cool the air. LHTperformance is the company.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Compression VS. Boost is a "myth" of sorts.

It's all in the tuning.

Besides, it's about the CFM anyway.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

Dave_B wrote:Compression VS. Boost is a "myth" of sorts.

It's all in the tuning.

Besides, it's about the CFM anyway.
have any info to explain this better.