Newbie Here

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Kachurracing
New ITRCA Member

Newbie Here

Post by Kachurracing »

Hi Guys - I'm new here but not to Acura's. My resume consists of an 87 Legend Coupe, 95 LS Integra and 96 LS Integra. I currently have 98 N/T Eclipse with CAI,header,exh,ignition,etc..... My dad just got into SCCA road racing and I got the bug to race with him. I'm planning on getting a 95-97 ITR and building it into a GT-2 SCCA car. I plan on doing this in the next 18 months and came here to learn about the good, the beautiful and ugly of ITR's. If anyone has experience with this please let me know and what are the "better" years for ITR's?

Cheers
Damon
Last edited by Kachurracing on May 19th, 2003, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 2G DSM
1999 Land Rover Discovery
RedKroovy
New ITRCA Member

Post by RedKroovy »

First ITR's didn't come to the U.S. till 97. Any 97-01 R thats in good condition will make an excellent track car. However my personal year preference is a 98 since I have one.
98 #0023
You name the vice, I'll name the price.
Kachurracing
New ITRCA Member

Post by Kachurracing »

Learning already! Thx
1998 2G DSM
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

There really isn't much that would recommend one year over another definitively.

I tend to prefer the '00/'01 cars because of the colour choice, subtle refinements and the slightly longer duration on the intake cam.
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

Good luck in your search. All R's are basically the same; just some minor interior changes in the later 2 years, plus color of course, which is a personal thing. I have and prefer the CW of the '97 and my '98. Have fun
ITR862
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR862 »

I know in 00-01 one of the cams (I cant remember which) was a little more aggressive. All I know is that my 01 screams more in VTEC than the 97-98. :D
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

The Change was the intake cam in 2000. There is also a change in the Streering Rack in 2000.

If you plan to change cams for racing then I would suggest a 97 cause they will be the cheapest. If you won't I woudl suggest a 97 with a 2000 Intake Cam.
Kachurracing
New ITRCA Member

Post by Kachurracing »

I plan to change the cams, cam gears, add a Jackson Racing SuperCharger, throttle body, intake mani, air intake, exhaust (if I need one) just about everything......this car will be a track only car so I do not need to worry about SMOG/emissions testing
1998 2G DSM
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: Newbie Here

Post by Dave-ROR »

Kachurracing wrote:Hi Guys - I'm new here but not to Acura's. My resume consists of an 87 Legend Coupe, 95 LS Integra and 96 LS Integra. I currently have 98 N/T Eclipse with CAI,header,exh,ignition,etc..... My dad just got into SCCA road racing and I got the bug to race with him. I'm planning on getting a 95-97 ITR and building it into a GT-2 SCCA car. I plan on doing this in the next 18 months and came here to learn about the good, the beautiful and ugly of ITR's. If anyone has experience with this please let me know and what are the "better" years for ITR's?

Cheers
Damon
A GT car? why start with an ITR? Just get a "GSR" since you'll be RWD, tube frame and integra fiberglass body anyways.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Kachurracing
New ITRCA Member

Post by Kachurracing »

im still reading into the SCCA classes and where which cars fit. I might start in the touring class 2 with an M3. I've always wanted a type-r and my choice is going to be difficult. I would like to lighten my DSM and run that but it would probaly break down putting it on the trailer :-) DSM's aren't very reliable....I'm going on three months with no problems and I'm just waiting for something to happen...
1998 2G DSM