strange wistling noise

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dev
ITRCA Member

strange wistling noise

Post by Dev »

I can only describe it as a constant chirping noise (subtle) that appears >2000 rpm. It comes from behind the valve cover near the injector rail(not injector chatter). It sounds like a vaccum leak...but I cannot find one.

any advice appreciated thanks in advance
Dev
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Re: strange wistling noise

Post by TypeR 801 »

Grasping at straws here....do you have a Comptech Foam Filter? If so, that may be the source. I have a turbo like whistle from my car at certain throttle positions because of the comptech filter.
Dev wrote:I can only describe it as a constant chirping noise (subtle) that appears >2000 rpm. It comes from behind the valve cover near the injector rail(not injector chatter). It sounds like a vaccum leak...but I cannot find one.

any advice appreciated thanks in advance
Dev
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
Dev
ITRCA Member

whistling noise

Post by Dev »

No, bone stock..but thats a good way to describe it...its like a turbo whistle,,only subtle.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Throttle body on our cars is known to whistle even stock. It becomes more appearent with intake modifications. Is it based on throttle position or RPMs?
Dev
ITRCA Member

whistle

Post by Dev »

RPM, which concerns me, The whistle sound like it is coming from deeper than the throttle body.

I wouldnt be so crazy about it if I had heard it all along, seems like it had appeared w/in the last 500mi.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

THat is interested. There us a common whistleing noise than will come and go at certain rpms but is typically present when accellerating and disaapears when decelerating.

Can't think of any thing else to whistle.
Dev
ITRCA Member

whistle

Post by Dev »

Im going to go out on a limb here and assume the worst.

I know we have loads and loads of intellegence on this board..Ive seen the pics from the Expo :lol:

So the whistle has a Hz property, It tends to run in cycles. It starts quiet, quiet >= to 1700 rpm and begins to cycle at about 2000 on (a bit louder) My concern is that there could be a bearing that is about to peace-out on me. Has anybody had a bearing commit suicide..maybe you can describe the sounds you heard prior.

One last question, I know honda (type-r in particular) is known for tappy valves, but could the whistling be due to high cycle pinging (made up that term)

Thanks
Dev
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

whistle

Post by Jan Niemi »

sounds like it's possibly coming from the pcv valve.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

My stock intake made a faint whistle sound like you are describing, and does the same, only louder with my current comptech icebox. It only really makes noise on low-mid throttle positions from between 2-4k rpm.
CW 98 #805
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

You'll know if it's a bearing. If you suspect a vac leak just get a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the area with the motor running, if smoke flys out the exhaust you've hit it.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis