which cold air intake to get :roll: ?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
chiggaz
New ITRCA Member

Post by chiggaz »

Trey wrote:you can do it cheaper if you don't use the comptech short ram piece.

I run a stock intake tube.
Hi!Trey:
thanks for ur opinions and informations these days,juz wondering is there any difference between using the comptech intake system with ice box and juz using the stock intake tube with ice box?
ITR is the king of FF!!!
jdm cw type r
ITRCA Member

Re: which cold air intake to get :roll: ?

Post by jdm cw type r »

i have an iceman and that thing screams!!!!!!!!!
Yes it's a real type r!!!
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

JRSC = Jackson Racing Supercharger. I decided that with my budget and my racing needs, the charger would be overkill and decided all motor isn't such a bad idea after all :)

As for the Comptech intake and Icebox, from what I hear getting the intake portion as well may make for a 1 or 2 hp gain but it's not really worth it unless you like the looks. I really didn't want to order the intake but it comes with the filter (OEM cone filter doesn't fit) and modacar.com was out of the filter seperately (the filter by itself costs $69 retail).

After installing the complete intake system over the weekend, I'm a little disappointed. Not necessarily performance-- I can't feel it on the butt dyno and the only aural difference is some hissing in the low-rev range-- but the fitment isn't ideal. Some genius decided to make the filter housing for the Icebox smaller than the length of the stupid filter. The lower section is stretched lengthwise to accomodate and now the lid doesn't fit properly. I had to push it down past the grooves just so it would stay on :mad:

Anybody else have this problem with their Icebox?
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

btt since I don't think anyone saw my above post. I really would like to know
nanertyper
New ITRCA Member

Post by nanertyper »

I have ran an AEM CAI for about 2 years. It felt good compared to stock. But I recently purchased the comptech system(arm/box/filter/extension). The difference is amazing compared to the AEM. Throttle response is unbelievable and it feels stronger throughout the rpm band.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Hey, did you have any issues with the filter not fitting properly in your Icebox?
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

CAI is in my Opinion a waste of $$$ with the risk of hydrolocking to me is is just a waste. I feel the ICE box or Equivelent is a much better option
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Icebox is a CAI. And I know of a car in florida that hydrolocked with the Icebox. Nothing is impossible. I've driven in florida which has plenty of rain and horrible drainage for almost 4 years now with an AEM on a lowered car and it's not hard to avoid hydrolocking the motor. But again, anything is possible. For an ITR an AEM is not the best choice though IMO, Icebox, Mugen, etc are better options IMHO.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Kabob, call Comptech and Talk to Nate or Joe or Bob. Explain your problem and they can advise you how to fix the problem or send you new parts. http://www.comptechusa.com will have the phone number. Tell them trey Sent you.

Trey
descartesfool
New ITRCA Member

Post by descartesfool »

I have read several posts on the boards where people prefer the Mugen intake (called an Air Cleaner & Box on the King Motorsports web site) over any other. As it is by far the most expensive ($650) intake, I am assuming there is a reason people are willing to pay almost double that of any other system. However I have never seen a dyno curve showing the benefits of the Mugen intake. The supposed benefit is that it is like a horn with a continuously expanding diameter. Does anyone have a link to a dyno curve of this expensive peice of hardware on an ITR?
When it feelsa good, throttle!!